It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nick Griffin (BNP Leader) to appear on Question Time Tonight amid Protesters Outside Studio

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Nick Griffin (BNP Leader) to appear on Question Time Tonight amid Protesters Outside Studio

news.sky.com

BNP leader Nick Griffin has slipped past hundreds of anti-fascist protesters to get into BBC TV Centre in London for an appearance on Question Time tonight.

The BNP leader had told Sky News it was "a serious possibility" that he would pull out of his controversial appearance if he could not safely enter the studio.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I've got a feeling Question Time should be good tonight on BBC..... just for the fact that this will be the first time Nick Griffin has appeared on the debate panel.... i'm looking forward to the fireworks flying and custard pies being thrown from the crowd!!

Seriously though there's been 1000 protesters outside bbc's studios waiting for Griffin..... luckily for him he sneeked in through a side entrance.....

For those of you in other parts of the World who may want to watch Question Time you'll have to check your clocks.....

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
As I posted in a related thread:

After watching the live feeds for hours, I notice two things: I saw TWO black people in total. Just two. The rest were mostly young, stereotypically-looking students.

There were anti-nuke, anti war, anti-government and anti god knows what else signs mixed in.

Conclusion: These people have no real, cause, no idea what they're protesting against, and want to relish the opportunity to protest about something.

They just had a 15 year old girl speak frantically about her 'views', obviously influenced by the people around her.

I think brainwashing can go both ways. She probably does not even know what free speech is, and will grow up happily accepting any philosophy she is told.

Also, would you not put their behaviour ie breaking into a building, stopping the democratic process and political debates, stopping information getting to the public, into the fascism category? I think they're hypocritical.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AR154

Also, would you not put their behaviour ie breaking into a building, stopping the democratic process and political debates, stopping information getting to the public, into the fascism category?

Dont you find this is always the case, no matter what the organisation? When it comes to them 'protesting' their views, they seem to ignore the fact they are displaying blatent double standards and often breaking the law of the land!

I think they're hypocritical.

So do i.

[edit on 22/10/09 by logicalview]

Spelling!

[edit on 22/10/09 by logicalview]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
personally i think that as soon as this guys ignorance kills somebody these protests will be justified, until then, priorities people!
you don't need a "doom and gloom" outlook to see that some guy with a platform that doesn't like people that arent white is not the biggest problem at the moment, he's no more offensive than the last guy to have a personal problem with race and said im not racist but if you're not white and british get out of the country.
this guy is obviously ignorant, he's not the first ignorant person and he's not going to be the last, regardless of a few signs and maybe a bit of small-scale destruction.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
well i agree some of the people there were probly influenced a lot by what they hear and don't have to much of a cause to point there anger at.

but i also assume many people had a clear intent of what they were protesting at

at least in britain they actually protest

people are to lazy and apathetic here, for the most part.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I think this has all been set up to make it seem that the light shines out of the other political party's asses. First 17 mins is just attacking BNP. Not really discussing politics as a whole, just attacking BNP.

Great move. Really makes me want to vote for those other parties. Childish.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
I think this has all been set up to make it seem that the light shines out of the other political party's asses. First 17 mins is just attacking BNP. Not really discussing politics as a whole, just attacking BNP.

Great move. Really makes me want to vote for those other parties. Childish.

I agree. It hasn't been on long but I'm really disappointed with the other politicians and even the audience. It's just going to be an hour long attack on the BMP.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Maybe they've reconized the BNP is (Unfortuently) a threat to the other political parties. This is how they deal with it, We should all just refuse to vote.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Well I didn't bother watching, since this would never be about politics, I wish there was a realistic alternative to the Lib-Lab-Con.. There are no parties that seem to represent the people, either they are for the elite or for some fringe ideal.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I must say, I detest the BNP...but my God was that man given an unfair time.

Never mind the fact half the arguments used against him were highly hypocritical...bringing up WW1 to bash the BNP... Surely a better part of British history could have been found

And watching the news directly afterwards, how they span things.

"I do believe Nick Griffen said gays were 'creepy' " When infact what he said was that many people would find two men kissing in the street very creepy... Perhpas still wrong in many peoples eyes, yet nowehre near as bad as what the news stated he had said.

If you want to show the BNP are some racist party nobody would ever allow into power...then what do you have to fear from letitng them have a fair trial? Problem is they know this isn't the case, so instead they try to stop him providing any answer which may in any way make him look like a better person...it was pathetic and childish.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Reading through the 1000's of "Have your say" comments in the bbc website: Link You can see how the general public has reconized this as an attempt to stop BNP in its tracks though now everyone can clearly see how this has backfired completely. There are comments of people pledging their vote to BNP which is unnerving.

Though i do think this is highly amusing. I cant wait until the papers do a U-turn and start to support the BNP because the public seems to be warming up to them. Wont that be a kick in the face to all "mainstream" parties.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

You know what i think?

I do believe the man is a bit confused as to how to deal with his ideas... he's not sure what he wants.... there are some things he says that do make sense and then he says the total opposite.... he says he wants it back to how it used to be.... 90% white but how is that going to work? As people said on the panel and crowd... the war wasn't won with just white english people... there were carribean & Asian too.... he has nazi ideas when he says things like '90% white Britain' this is pretty offensive to the black british people, mixed race people and their offspring...

But what i think he has got right is the fact that we don't want Muslim laws here and that Judicial system should stay british!!

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Notice in the final moments of the show that Jack Straw said Nick Griffin was a conspiracy theorist.

Hahaha

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
very poor one sided show, nick griffin was not realy given much of a chance to speak, he was asked a question and was rarely aloud to finish his reply, whether the bnp are bad people or not, their politics were not given much of a chance to be heard, alot of their politics are quite sound, although there is a lot of underlying prejudice's. given the chance he could of made fools of the labour and conservative parties on how they are selling england piece by piece, this is why i think they had him on, to take the focus off of the real issues, and spend most of the time on personal attacks at nick griffin, the bnp need to have some of the british minorities in their party to quiet the critics, it could win them an election

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This sums up the mainstream parties ignorance, in my opinion. Although I don't vote BNP myself, they were unfairly treated last night and it was a shameful attack by the main parties and the collection of wishy-washy lefties they had in the audience.

This bit from jack Straw say's it all with regards to how out of touch they are:

Asked whether immigration policy had fuelled the BNP, Mr Straw said he did not think it had and said he thought the BNP had been boosted by discontent with the main parties over issues like expenses.

But Baroness Warsi said politicians had a responsibility to take on the BNP on the issue of immigration: "Many people who vote for the BNP are not racist and therefore what we have to do is go out and say to these people as mainstream political parties we are prepared to listen."

Expenses? WTF? Do you even listen to your constituents, Mr Straw? I like the man, but this just shows he's out of whack completely.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Can't believe Nick Griffin actually agreed to do this show.
Surely he couldn't have expected them to take his issues seriously?
They haven't before, why should they now just because he appears on this show?
The reaction to the BNP party reminds me of the reaction that Pauline Hansons One Nation got here. Pauline was never given a fair go to air her views on shows like this either.

So much for Democracy and freedom of speech.....its a 2 way street.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I think the main parties did themselves more harm than good. Already Labour has been associated with the "anti-fascist" groups that have popped up, who ironically use fascist tactics to try and silence dissenting opinion. Now, they have shown themselves up as being unable to actually debate the issue, but having to resort to childish name calling and vulgar tactics to try and win the day.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Like the way that the BBC seemingly hand picked the audience so that almost every member was anti BNP, so much for freedom of speech and equality in this lousy country.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
You know, I watched the show and a couple of things struck me.

The first was the fact that Jack Straw came over as a bumbling idiot.

The second was that - for all its claims of non-bias, the BBC set up a "hit" on the BNP that was quite spectacular in its audacity, and designed to make the man as uncomfortable as possible. No questions on the economy, no proper questions on foreign policy, no proper questions on crime and the legal system - nothing that could have exposed the BNP as a "one issue" party.

The third was that Griffin was out of his depth. He twisted and turned and it seemed he was making things up on the spot to suit what he thought people wanted to hear. The line about changing his mind on holocaust denial and "not knowing why he said it" was pure tosh, as was the cop-out about not discussing the issues around it because of "European Law". I found the jibe at Straw's father to be in poor taste and particularly crass.

The fourth was that Baroness Warsi is a potential future leader of the Conservative Party - she came across as spectacularly Thatcherite.

The only person who came out of the show with any credibility to me was Bonnie Greer - but then its always the non-politicians who talk more sense.

The show meant nothing in the end. No one learned anything new.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join