It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US's new anti-missile system for Eastern Europe.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I saw this earlier and thought somebody would have posted it by now. It seems the US and Eastern Europe WILL have a defense shield after all. Apparently the Obama administration doesn't see an immediate threat from Iran. So how does this play into the fact that they are rushing through with a bunker buster bomb and then say that Iran is moving at a much slower pace to deliver a possible nuke conventionally with missiles.

US's Biden garners more support for new anti-missile system

BUCHAREST — US Vice President Joe Biden, on a three-day trip to Eastern Europe, said Thursday that Romania had added its support to that of Poland for a new anti-missile system the United States is planning for the region.

A day after Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk had described Washington's projected new SM-3 anti-missile system as "very interesting, and needed," Biden said that Romania, too, embraced "the new missile defence architecture".

SM-3 replaces a plan by the former George W. Bush administration for a so-called missile shield, comprising missile interceptors in Poland and a radar base in the Czech Republic, by 2013.

Bush's successor Barack Obama said that after a rethink, and the realisation that Iran was developing its own missiles more slowly than anticipated, his administration was opting for a more flexible system.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

When Barack Obama scrapped the Bush Administration's plans for missile defense systems in Eastern Europe, many saw the decision as an abandonment of Poland and the Czech Republic. Now, news that missile defenses will be installed in Poland is helping soothe hurt feelings.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
www.chinaview.cn

BUCHAREST, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- Visiting U.S. Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday voiced his appreciation for the Romanian government's endorsement of the new missile shield plan initiated by the Obama administration.

Biden, at a joint press conference with Romanian President Traian Basescu, stressed that the United States and Romania are allies and partners within NATO.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
So, what's the game plan.

Is Obama trying to please everybody by installing a system? A system that the Russians won't view as a threat.

And if the Russians don't view it as a threat, wouldn't that mean it is basically an ineffective system?

I have to admit I am confused about all of this.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I tend to agree what is different about this system, the the bush system? Is it just a s new name?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Kinda sounds like this quote I read in an article

We are going to cancel a defense that takes five years to mount, because the threat will not materialize for five years. And we will not deploy land-based interceptors in Europe, because our new plan is to deploy land-based interceptors in Europe.

online.wsj.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

This pretty much sums up Obama so far.

Your Source

Stalin tested Truman with the Berlin Blockade, and Truman held fast. Khrushchev tested Kennedy, and in the Cuban Missile Crisis Kennedy refused to blink. In 1983, Andropov took the measure of Reagan, and, defying millions in the street (who are now the Obama base), Reagan did not blink. Last week, the Iranian president and the Russian prime minister put Mr. Obama to the test, and he blinked not once but twice

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I heard some one compare obama as a "black JFK" I think they got it wrong he is a "Black Jimmy carter".

Now wait for it to drop......

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Halo
Voice from the said Eastern Europe Poland:
No offence intended but it seems that nobody sane wants that antimissile shield of yours here in Poland...except our politicians. If you try to get to the data about the peoples opinion it will be about 80% minimum against any foreign military presence in Poland. Dont get decieved by the voices you can hear from the politicians or from the polish language MSM( in fact most ofthem belongs now to the multinationals)
I even talk to some of the Pomeranian region inhabitants- nobody wants no foreign army anymore. And that region has really long story of the would-be allies that afterwards turned more pain in the...bac that the dangers against which thei were invited.
Starting from the Holly Mary Order kicked out from the Hungary and invited by our mazovian prince Kondrad Mazowiecki to fight the sawage pagans the Pruses...sure thing they never bother to baptize them- from the Pruses its only the name left that was afterwards given to the modern imperialist Germany...
The newest ws our Soviet "allies", staing in Poland till 1993y (the longest it seems that in any of the former Warsaw Pact countries) that till today they show up in the nightmares of the Poles All we need, being in fact at the eastern frontier of NATO is maybe some kind of preferences concerning arming our own forces...just like America gives to the Turks, Georgians and...Israelis. Dreamer...
Anyway we dont need the next limitation of our independence, already in danger because of that Lisbone thing, neighter we need the expensive oldtimer-aircrafts F 16 sold with great benefit by the USA to Poland( I think some of the newest russian or EU fabricated aircrafts are much chiper and better).
The point is: the overwhelming mayority of my idealistic folks is very very proamerican against everything. Against unconsistent policy towards us by the administration of GW Bush, against the "Stabilising Missions"-in Iraq and Afganistan, where we serve more as kind of the fig leaf to dissperse the responsability of the USA in the worlds eyes, which costs our poor country a lot of money...and our soldiers get killed anyway...The "Missions" help nobody.
the Poles are still proamerican even against the arogance of the Obama administration...but it will not lasts forever...
So PLEASE KEEP YOUR SHINY MISSILE SHIELD FOR YOURSELF!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ZenOnKwalsky

I respect that, but you dont want our army there? We have an Airforce base in turkey... would that be acceptable?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZenOnKwalsky
Halo
No offence intended but it seems that nobody sane wants that antimissile shield of yours here in Poland...except our politicians. If you try to get to the data about the peoples opinion it will be about 80% minimum against any foreign military presence in Poland. Dont get decieved by the voices you can hear from the politicians or from the polish language MSM( in fact most ofthem belongs now to the multinationals)

Do you have any sources to support your stance?

OTHERWISE IT'S JUST ANOTHER VOICE ON A CONSPIRACY SITE.

Thanks in advance.

Slay

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hmmm... Obama cancels the Evil Bush's missile shield. There's some change! Then he proposed another one, same as the other one, but with a new name in the byline.

Just like all the other promises of "change", the only thing changing is the face on the TV and the name in the byline.

I think the folks that rode the emotional wave of "change" who voted for him had a different sort of change in mind?

I disliked the Bush administration for it's crackdown on our rights at home, and I dislike the Obama administration for pretty much the same thing. For the life of me, I can't see any change happening. Only an accelerated drive towards a cliff. Same direction, higher speed. I do see a lot of rehabilitated Obama voters experiencing buyer's remorse, however. That probably wasn't the change they had in mind either.

I think I'll quit looking for the change, and go back to beating my plowshare into a sword.

[edit on 2009/10/22 by nenothtu]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

I respect that, but you dont want our army there? We have an Airforce base in turkey... would that be acceptable?

As I say the politicians- I mean the ones in power now who pose to be patriotic will pay every price to atract the foreign military presence to our country but if you ask the peoples on the street I doubt if they will be happy about it. Thats why there will be no referendum between the citizens-they know the answer will be "no"
From the other hand: all Poland got so long from our involvement in the so-called "Missions" are expenses and the empty promises- I think many Poles may change their minds if we wil get real investments and creation of the decent workplaces(dont mean the go go dancers posts-it seems that there is strong borthels-or more politiclicorect- "the Night clubs" owners lobby at work behind the scene);-/
And the second: The condition sin equa non for Your military presence must by polish control and the souvereignity of our military and civil law over Your military personel as well. No exclusions-Polish iurisdiction in Poland!-its that too much ?? imagine the contrary situation...
Cant find the link now but already there was incident wit the US marines from the visiting ship who beat the s...t out of the taxi driver and then fly to their ship...

Is not easy but surely the solutions are to be find. As I say: the Poles are maybe the biggest USA fans in the Europe-all that against not very friendly politics of your governements.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by ZenOnKwalsky
Halo

Do you have any sources to support your stance?

OTHERWISE IT'S JUST ANOTHER VOICE ON A CONSPIRACY SITE.

Thanks in advance.

Slay

Well...thats the problem- they try to keep the public opinion out of the bussines. Kaczynski-our President say even once that this matter is too important for the country security to be given to decide to the peoples...Dissgusting- actually I think with that kind of attitude he loses the voters support.
As for the sources...Sorry but Im too lazy to search it tonight but I talk with the folks from Pomerania- after the peacefull manifestation the cops broke in to the private house where the anti-shield protesters have their party. They beat everybody and after make them fined for causing the public unrest or whatever.
But if you google the "tvn 24"- its the news station, more polish-speaking than polish if You get what I mean, but even them, althought they support usually the antimissile shield stuff, even they admitted a few weeks ago that their sondage that nine vrom the ten persons asked about is against the foreign military base in Poland.
They should have some stuff in English too.
Believe me it has nothing to do with our peoples love for all thats american...even if since long its only one-way love.
We simply know- the exteritorial military base in Poland, being in fact depriving us again some part of our so hardly won sovereignity is not good idea at all.

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
REFILE-Biden calls for bigger security role for east Europe

BUCHAREST, Oct 22 (Reuters) - U.S. Vice President Joe Biden called on central and east European states on Thursday to become more involved in fighting security threats and work closer with their former Soviet bloc peers outside western alliances.

The United States is keen to secure the region's backing for revamped plans for a missile defence system, after September's decision to scrap Bush-era solutions irked Poland and the Czech Republic, where elements of it would have been located.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

How large or what percentage of the population are the protesters? Is this fairly widespread?

www.chinaview.cn

BUCHAREST, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- The new missile shield proposed by President Barack Obama takes into account the need to counter some new threats and the United States will not conclude agreements beyond the will of their allies in Central Europe, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said here on Thursday.

"We are confronted with new threats, we need a new vision how we can tackle them, therefore the decision was taken to create a new missile shield system and that is why it is so important that the countries in Central Europe have their voice heard," said Biden while delivering a speech at the Bucharest University Central Library.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Thread update:

Russian interests loom large as Biden visits eastern Europe

Donald Tusk, the Polish prime minister, said that the new system, which replaces a bulkier version previously planned for the region, was “interesting” and “necessary”, and affirmed that Poland was willing to co-operate with the plans.

Later, Bogdan Aurescu, from the Romanian foreign ministry said: "The new system protects the whole of the Romanian territory against possible missile attacks, and this is very important."

Czechs Accept Modified Missile Shield Role

PRAGUE — The Czech Republic agreed on Friday to host elements of the reformulated American missile defense system after Vice President Joseph R. Biden flew here to patch up relations damaged when President Obama canceled plans to deploy a sophisticated radar station on Czech soil.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Is Obama trying to please everybody by installing a system? A system that the Russians won't view as a threat.

And if the Russians don't view it as a threat, wouldn't that mean it is basically an ineffective system?

You really didn't get the original point of contention.

Russian missile capability is such that the previously proposed system could not possibly avert or mitigate an all-out Russian attack on any entity of their choosing. They could also take out the radar with a massive conventional weapons strike given its proximity to Russia proper. So that's not an issue in itself for the Russians.

The issue was that the facilities would attract a substantial US military presence needed to properly guard these. US interests would then be more closely tied with Czech and Poland. And that the Russians didn't want.

So it was never about missiles, it was about geo-political balance of force in Eastern Europe.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Missile threat shifts to Black Sea

The transformation of America’s security architecture for eastern Europe has thrown Romania into the spotlight as a key strategic location for defence against the threat of medium-range ballistic missiles.

US vice president Joe Biden made the first moves into this direction when, on a recent visit to Bucharest, he welcomed Romania’s “embrace” of the new US proposals for combating short and medium range airborne weaponry.

But it was unclear whether this could translate into Romania hosting either a land-based anti-missile defence system or whether the Black Sea itself could support US or US-allied ships bent on defending the region against a missile assault.

new topics

top topics

join