It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Man ran down 'too Westernized' daughter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Police: Man ran down 'too Westernized' daughter

www.cnn.com

Peoria, Arizona, police said Wednesday that Faleh Hassan Almaleki, 48, struck his 20-year-old daughter, Noor Faleh Almaleki, and her friend Amal Edan Khalaf with a vehicle he was driving in a parking lot Tuesday afternoon.

Faleh Hassan Almaleki was angry with his daughter "as she had become too 'Westernized' and was not living according to [the family's] traditional Iraq values," Peoria police said in a statement released Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
What is it with people who feel their children must live the way they do?

I just don't get it... it's not like the girl was still living under his roof!

People take crap just way too seriously these days... Let your 20 yo+ children figure out who they are.... you've done your job... you can do nothing else at this point!

And besides... if you didn't want your children to become westernized... WHY DID YOU MOVE HERE TO BEGIN WITH?????

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-10-2009 by HunkaHunka]

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Why are you still confounded by the actions of Middle Easterners who carry out these actions? We've seen time and again that they are steadfastly dedicated to religion and traditions and are ready to both die and sacrifice their families for such.

What, did you think TERRORISTS would eventually drop their hostility of the U.S. and make us pals? What the hell do you think we're fighting for in Afghanistan?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Hunka your question:

And besides... if you didn't want your children to become westernized... WHY DID YOU MOVE HERE TO BEGIN WITH?????

The whole problem people have been saying all along. They do not have to follow our laws. They have sharia. Just as the Mexican immigrants do not have to learn English, we will adapt to them. Do not get me started.

One country, one set of laws, oh wait a minute. The rich, famous or politicians do not have to follow our laws, so to hell with it, let them do what ever the hell they want.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I remember a few years ago when TPTB were saying these honor killings do not exist. I wonder how they will try this case and if there will be protesters saying that the justice system is infringing on their religious rights or some such nonsense as that.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Such is the folly of multi culturalism (though I thought the US was not as bad as the UK)- multi culturalism only fosters division and stores up problems- MANAGED and regulated immigration under a policy of integration is the only sensible option.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
If this had happened in Iraq, it would have been tragic, but it would be morally incorrect to project our cultural standards on another culture that has different laws.

However, as this happened in the United States, to a citizen of the United States, it becomes our prerogative to pontificate our cultural beliefs upon Faleh Hassan Almaleki, and impose Justice to the full extent that the law allows.

Yes, even extremist Muslims are protected under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. They are allowed to believe whatever they chose to believe and practice their choice of religion (or lack thereof) just as the next person, so long as their religious practice does not harm another or violate the rights of another. That means that in the United States, even the most extreme of Muslims can believe in Shari'a and practice it within the laws of the United States. However, they cannot hide behind Shari'a when it violates the laws of the United States.

Children are not property, especially when they become adults. The best a parent can do is to raise their child well, and hope that they make good choices, even if you may not agree with those choices.

Although parents may freely joke about "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it" any parent who even seriously considers doing such has serious issues and needs help before they act them out.

I know that many will make this out to be an Anti-Muslim news article, but it shouldn't be regarded as such. Extreme fundamentalist Christians do similar things in the United States to their children too, torturing them and burning them to death to free them of demonic possession, or refusing medical attention for their child because they prayed for their recovery, as well as killing their children to protect them from Satanism. There are religious fanatics in all religions, Islam as well as Christianity.

However, I hope that many will see this for what it is: A religious fanatic who crosses the line between a severe interpretation of his faith and the laws of the nation. Just because you have the unalienable right to believe how you chose to believe doesn't mean that you have the unalienable right to practice what you believe if it violates the rights of another.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Complete BS! Hope that guys gets thrown in jail for a long time.

Why do most foreign born parents feel their kids have to be like them in the originating country while being raised in America? My parents surely did. Pathetic. Seriously, my parents thought my siblings and I would live with them under the same roof until we were 40 (married or not). My parents are disappointed I have American values and beliefs and not of our originating country. There is a saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

When you move to another country, its fine to cherish your originating country's values and beliefs. But don't demand that from others. If you cherish those beliefs so much, then go back to your country.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
How hippocritical can one person be?
He is from a place full of religious hatred so he comes to the place he hates..America.Why???...Because he has the freedom to be who he wants religiously.
Then he runs his daughter down for being too western??

What an idiot!!
If he doesn't like the western ways then why is he here....oh yeah because he can be free here yet doesn't allow others to be free themselves.

What a hippocrate.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Why are you still confounded by the actions of Middle Easterners who carry out these actions? We've seen time and again that they are steadfastly dedicated to religion and traditions and are ready to both die and sacrifice their families for such.

What, did you think TERRORISTS would eventually drop their hostility of the U.S. and make us pals? What the hell do you think we're fighting for in Afghanistan?

First off.. not all middle easterners are terrorists.... that's just infantile thinking...

Second off... my own father acted this way... he was white and raised in the US in the 30's and was incredibly attached to what he thought the American way of life should be.. you know, with women barefoot and pregnant, blacks were ok... everyone should own one or two... etc

He even tried to kill me because I "couldn't be controlled".

So don't act like this is a middle eastern thing or even a religious thing... this is a Parental thing and I've seen it plenty here in the good ole USA before I ever saw in any foreigners... It's about CONTROL... and nothing more...

This is why I admonished parents in general in my OP.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Maybe he should be charged with a hate crime. After all he did hate the culture she had adapted too.

Since they are going to pass hate crime legislation they should at least use it on everyone not just a select few.

Really though this guy is a nut case, believing something is fine but actions like this are another.

Raist

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
my dad used to kick my ass all the time and didn't want me to be too westernized either, he is however completely against organized religion.

So be careful when you say that this act was done due to religion.
Some people are just conservative.

In afghanistan women are oppressed to the fullest.
In north america women are also oppresed and are depicted as nothing more but sex symbols.

both sides of the spectrum have an extreme end, not just one.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Yes, the OP and others need to come to the realization that this is not a "people issue", it is a muslim cultural issue because in many muslim countries it is perfectly OK to kill a child or wife that is not behaving the way the "man of the house" believes they should.

No other civilized religion or country shares this belief - at least that I'm aware of.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

In afghanistan women are oppressed to the fullest.

This is TOTALLY due to (the muslim) religion.

In north america women are also oppresed and are depicted as nothing more but sex symbols.

Exactly how do you equate someone being used as a sex symbol - as in advertising - with the justified killing of women just because they don't do what you say?

both sides of the spectrum have an extreme end, not just one.

This is just about the worst attempt to gloss over muslim gross human rights abuses I've ever seen.

[edit on 10/22/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by sos37

First off.. not all middle easterners are terrorists.... that's just infantile thinking...

First off, no one said that all middle easterners were terrorists. Oh but how dare I mention the two in the same post, right? What's infantile is making assumptions where you shouldn't be. Chill, Mr. Sharpton.

Second off... my own father acted this way... he was white and raised in the US in the 30's and was incredibly attached to what he thought the American way of life should be.. you know, with women barefoot and pregnant, blacks were ok... everyone should own one or two... etc

He even tried to kill me because I "couldn't be controlled".

So don't act like this is a middle eastern thing or even a religious thing... this is a Parental thing and I've seen it plenty here in the good ole USA before I ever saw in any foreigners... It's about CONTROL... and nothing more...

This is why I admonished parents in general in my OP.

Whatever. The story clearly states that this is about tradition and culture. What you think Sharia Law is a myth? You think that the whole "Honor Killing" thing is an excuse used by parents who want to control their kids?

If they want to control their kids then why not simply cage them up; why give them free reign over everything except religion and who they can marry?

Face it, you have no clue what you're talking about in this thread. NO CLUE. What your father did to you is tragic but the drive behind the reasons are clearly different. Date someone from Middle Eastern descent and maybe you'll know what the hell you're talking about. Until then, you're ignorant.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
in many muslim countries it is perfectly OK to kill a child or wife that is not behaving the way the "man of the house" believes they should.

Since there are "many" countries like that, it won't be too hard for you to list those where it's legal, or at least accepted by a vast majority of population. I'm all ears.

No other civilized religion or country shares this belief - at least that I'm aware of.

Maybe. However, here in the States it's not unheard of that parents decline medical care for their dying child because they prefer to rely on God's prayer as the ultimate cure. IMHO it's equally barbaric.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
reply to post by sos37

Yes, the OP and others need to come to the realization that this is not a "people issue", it is a muslim cultural issue because in many muslim countries it is perfectly OK to kill a child or wife that is not behaving the way the "man of the house" believes they should.

Actually it IS a people issue... as I mentioned in my previous post, my own father tried to kill me and he was born and raised here in the US in the 30's.

I actually live around several Muslim folks, and other than what they eat, they don't care what their children do with mine. They come over, play video games, dress in sporty attire, join us for Christmas festivities etc. The Muslim families who have children are very close with us and I've never seen anything like this from any of them. They came here to receive a good education and provide a better life for their children...

[edit on 22-10-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

So what? That doesn't make your father and this guy anything alike. They're both equally messed up in some way in a basic, humanitarian level to want to inflict pain on their own children.

But what drove your father? Control issues? Alcoholism? Abuse when he was a child?

What drove this guy? He says traditions. The story doesn't say that they are Muslim or that this was an attempt to exact an honor killing, but if it is then it's an issue of being driven by one's religion. According to the Quran, apostacy (leaving the Muslim faith) is the highest of all offenses, punishable by death. Did this guy feel compelled to kill by his God due to his faith??? That line of thinking DOES EXIST! Pretending it isn't there doesn't make it go away!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Why do immigrants insist on coming to America and then complain that things are not enough like home????

Want children with un-American values? Live somewhere else.

Now 'dad' gets to assess western justice. Have fun with that!

[edit on 22-10-2009 by loam]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

This is called honor killings and its happening more and more in America, People fail to realize that. OP you tried to tie it parenting, and for the most part I agree I have seen parents control their adult children, and I have seen these adult children let them do it. But if this was a Christian doing it would you say the same thing? I am just curious based on some of your past threads like "if your slave masters weren’t Christians, you wouldn’t be either".

Now I am not trying to derail your thread, just help me out and explain it to me...

Now as far as the article is concerned this is an "honor killing" or an attempt, He should be tried for a hate crime due to this. Here is the thing for people who migrate here to America. We have many different cultures and belief here, yours is just one of them, you have the right and the freedom to choose. Just like your daughter has the right to dress like an "American". Your rights end were your bumper begins and your daughter’s body ends.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join