It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal families & Multinationals take huge payouts from EU Common Agricultural Policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This news broke in July 2009 but since I have not seen reference here on ATS to any of this, I thought the European members need to see this. I find it quite sad.

So what is the Europead Union Common Agricultural Policy? what is its aim?

If you go to: europa.eu... which claims it is the portal site of the European Union. It provides up-to-date coverage of European Union affairs and essential information on European integration.

The site makes the statement "Meeting the needs of farmers and consumers" and then goes onto say:

"Farms and forests cover most of Europe’s land and are vital for our health and economy. The EU's common agricultural policy ensures that farming and preservation of the environment go hand-in-hand. It helps develop the economic and social fabric of rural communities and plays a vital role in confronting new challenges such as climate change, water management, bioenergy and biodiversity"

Then theres the other side of the coin.....

On 18th July 2009, The Daily telegraph broke the story:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

"EU agriculture subsidies worth billions of pounds under the CAP are being paid out to businesses and multinational corporations with little connection to traditional farming."

Ligabue, an Italian caterer, serving luxury cruise ships and airlines, received 148,000 euros of export subsidies in 2008 for the dairy and creamer sachets consumed by international travellers.

Haribo qualified for 332,000 euros in farming subsidies for the sugar used in its "gummy bears" produced in Germany.

Groupe Doux, a French chicken processor, raises no poultry itself but pocketed 62.8 million euros.

In Britain, Tate & Lyle Europe benefited from the taxpayer to the tune of 134 million euros in 2007.

The New York Times covered this too:

www.omaha.com...

"Overall, the biggest slice of the farm subsidy cake still goes in direct payments for farmland. But under European Union policy, this land doesn’t need to be farmed to qualify. The wealthier the landowner, the larger the handout is likely to be.

The queen of England qualified for more than $750,000 in farm aid in 2008 for Sandringham Estate, a 20,000-acre royal country retreat. A pet project of Prince Charles to preserve the Transylvanian countryside also received a nominal sum. Prince Albert II of Monaco collected more than $700,000 in 2008 for his farms in France.

The Duke of Westminster — the third-richest person in Britain, with a $10 billion fortune — collected $800,000 for his farm. Top Farms, the duke’s Polish distributor for his bull-breeding company, Cogent, collected more than $11 million in subsidies from 2006 to 2007 for dairies.

The system also benefits the Catholic Church through many of its ancient abbeys and convents scattered through Italy, Spain, Austria and France.

A typical small farmer in Romania might qualify for about $550 in subsidies, and that sum ranges upward for farmers in more prosperous countries."

Cant believe it can you?

PEACE,
RK

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent
The queen of England qualified for more than $750,000 in farm aid in 2008 for Sandringham Estate, a 20,000-acre royal country retreat.

Cant believe it can you?

Only Americans refer to HM Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the other Commonwealth Realms as 'Queen of England'. It's the same as us referring to Barrack Obama as 'President of Rhode Island'

But unintended insult aside, Sandringham is a large working farm. So no surprise it received farm aid

www.sandringhamestate.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

The "Queen of England" quote came from the New York Times, as is denoted by the use of speech marks encompassing the relevant paragraphs under the link, so what's with the sticky out tongue?

Her official title is not what you posted either, but this thread is not about official titles so let's drop it.

Suggest you might have a good look at the link you posted of the 20, 000 acre "country retreat" of ER II and then tell me that it deserves EU Citizens tax Euro's.

It seems to me at least, that one of the richest women in the world (by birthright) does not need, nor should she be entitled to subsidies from the EU Common Agricultural Policy. I think the majority of EU citizens would agree with me there. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion and I would not ridicule you, nor try to belittle you for that.

PEACE,
RK.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Rigel Kent]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent
reply to post by Essan

The "Queen of England" quote came from the New York Times

And what country does the NYT come from

Her Majesty has many titles. Queen of England is not one of them. Nor is Queen of Evesham. Or Queen of Lochailort. Though she is my Queen whether I'm residing in Evesham or home in Lochailort. The designation I gave her is far more accurate.

Suggest you might have a good look at the link you posted of the 20, 000 acre "country retreat" of ER II and then tell me that it deserves EU Citizens tax Euro's.

The rules are the rules. EU policy does not discriminate against farmers who have a few pounds in the bank.

Now, personally I totally disagree with the CAP - but I'd rather our farmers got subsidies than it all went to the French or Italians.

I'd even rather we had nothing to do with the EU .... but that's another thread ....

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Essan]

join