It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you can imagine it, it exists.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'm thinking of the end of religious idiocy on ATS.

It won't happen, nor will will ATS ever be free of the religious nut-jobs.

So I put it out there that your point doesn't bear water.... yet.

The Para.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

First of all no. Second of all YOUR logic has no ground either. SO I give you a counter example:

Suppose I think of a person and give them a description and a name etc. would it be considered impossible if the exact same person existed? Of course not, but your universe smashing example does not work simply because of this:

Given that there are ∞ universes (in the OP's theory) are you supposing that "∞" can be defined? The example is specifically WHAT YOU CAN THINK OF. Tell me, can you count to ∞? Is ∞ finite (going on what you said, that all other universes would be destroyed)? My logic stands, your frivolous example; however, does not.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by afterschoolfun]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
Wow! You just proved that God exists! Thank you!

True. But so does every other god.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

Yes...and I can imagine a bomb so powerful it will destroy all of space and time within an instant...there has to be a limit...I doubt anything I could imagine really exists...although I believe it to some extent...some things are beyond possible...I would have totally agreed in the past...but after some thinking....it's clear not EVERYTHING is possible...some things just have a 0% chance at ever happening...although most things could happen...no matter how small the possibility...it's still possible...

EDIT: I had a saying...

There are an infinite amount of possibilities and yet we are confined to the most likely of them.

[edit on 22/10/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
Wow! You just proved that God exists! Thank you!

Haha, yes! And also doesn't exist, and also is Satan in disguise, and also is really going to torture everyone once they get to Heaven. All of these nasty things and infinitely more playing out somewhere in space and time!

And all coming to a theater near you!

[edit on 22-10-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irishwolf
reply to post by afterschoolfun

damn...

never thought of that.

But then again using the same logic.

Q: What is nothing?

A: It is the absence of everything and anything

Q: So nothing is something, it is the absense of everything and anything right? So technically nothing exists because nothingness in itself is something?

A: yeah... but

I dont think that really works but you see my point.

well I wouldn't trap myself like that. I would answer:

I don't know what "nothing" is and neither do you. It's not pure black, or pure white, its nothing no colors, no smell, no sense data whatsoever. If you can describe a void of description to me then you have found a paradox (and a new one too, get it published!)

[edit on 22-10-2009 by afterschoolfun]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
What if CAT really spelled DOG

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
Yes...and I can imagine a bomb so powerful it will destroy all of space and time within an instant...

And that can happen, too, man.

Look up "imagining the 10th dimension" if you haven't already seen it. It explains what the 10+ dimensions are in popular theories of quantum physics. It just so happens that these physicists are not only assuming time is variable, but entire sets of universes are variables. The final dimension is actually just the sum of every single possible variation within every single possible universe, using every single possible set of laws to create those infinite universes. They can be isolated within their own space and time completely from the infinite other universes.

Once you start wrapping your head around some of these ideas you see it is really no different. The same path, only infinitely long. It figures. It's not as if the universe has nothing better to do than exist and diversify for the sake of experience anyway. Hell, even people do it on a small, human scale by making so many movies about so many crazy things for our own entertainment and self-discovery.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Thanks...no I haven't seen it, but it sounds great...our universe is the sum total of all possibility aye? That's quite interesting actually...I'd never thought of that possibility...I'll have to look into it...it might give me some of the answers I've been looking for...

EDIT: The final universe...that is us right? Heh...I think I'll need to look into it first before I start discussing it..

[edit on 22/10/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Great! It means that I, you, he/she, we created everything by thinking about it. The whole Multiverse (God included)!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I can't believe after 20 some odd posts noone has yet mentioned that this is essentially the ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

If I imagine that something never has existed and never will and someone else imagines that the same thing does exist what happens then? Does the universe just implode or something?
'

That would be hilarious.
We could get two of the greatest minds in history together, tell them to imagine entirely opposite concepts, and then BAM! The universe implodes!

Edit:
To actually add my thoughts to this idea... I think the OP is on the right track in that if you can conceptualize something, it isn't impossible to exist. Just because I can wish I lived in a world where pink unicorns run around drinking pink waterfalls in a land of pink candy (and who doesn't?
), it doesn't mean that world exists somewhere. This idea is applicable to art, creation, design, etc. An artist visualizes something in his/her mind, and then creates it. It doesn't necessarily actually exist somewhere. That would defy all logical thinking, and we don't wanna go BACKWARDS in our learning experience!

[edit on 22-10-2009 by OrphenFire]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There are infinite infinities. It's a mind bender but Truth. We are more divine and infinite that we can even imagine... yet. And to think time is an illusion. Infinite infinities is all happening at the same moment. All Knowledge is available to us in an instant if we simply open ourselves to the possibility.

I had a sudden and spontaneous Awakening to Infinite Awareness, Universal Knowledge, the Mind of God, Buddha under the bodhi tree, Jesus' I AM, etc. last year. This 3D experience has just about run its course. Again, I use time because it's our collective reference point right now but not the Ultimate Reality.

Nice post, thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire

If I imagine that something never has existed and never will and someone else imagines that the same thing does exist what happens then? Does the universe just implode or something?
'

That would be hilarious.
We could get two of the greatest minds in history together, tell them to imagine entirely opposite concepts, and then BAM! The universe implodes!

And to think, it's already happened! Mind bending is fun.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I like where you are trying to go with your ideas, but I don't agree.

I would say just the opposite. That, everything is an illusion & the only real thing that exist is God. So, in my opinion, anything that can be imagined is just part of the illusion.
Quantium Physics says that matter is a thought, that it isn't real.

Let these words be inscribed in your heart: 'Nothing is real but God, nothing matters but love for God.' Meher Baba

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by genma

thats cool and all, and I understand the multiverse theory, but what i really want to know is how do we make those concepts more tangible?

I want a device to video record my dreams. I like to think dreams can connect our plane of existence with all other possibilities. also, I have a striking suspicion that multiverse is a misnomer, and its more like one anti-verse where everything and nothing is impossible at the same time.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by corusso
I like where you are trying to go with your ideas, but I don't agree.

I would say just the opposite. That, everything is an illusion & the only real thing that exist is God. So, in my opinion, anything that can be imagined is just part of the illusion.
Quantium Physics says that matter is a thought, that it isn't real.

Let these words be inscribed in your heart: 'Nothing is real but God, nothing matters but love for God.' Meher Baba

We are, simly put, God trying to forget that we are God. The Hindu refer to the Lila, the Ultimate Reality, and the Maya, the illusion or false reality. The Lila, omnipotence, really takes the fun out of Being.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherSon

or, are we trying to remember that we are
God?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
That sounds like the old "Infinite Monkey Theorem" postulated by Arthur Eddington back in the 1920s.

The "Infinite Monkey Theorem" states that a monkey typing on a keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely be able to type the works of William Shakespeare.

Which is to say that when talking about "infinite" amounts of time or infinite numbers of situations, anything becomes possible.

[edit on 10/22/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by genma

Wtf is wrong with ppl here? This guy posted only HIS opinion, without any proofs, sources or argumentation and u still flag it and thank him?

You really must be ******* arrogant to pretend that ur mind and imagination can create life/entire worlds somewhere. Haha but usually the ppl that believe in this are the most hopeless. Hope ur an exception

Dont get me wrong, im not here to flame for the sake of flaming. Just i cant believe some people think the pokemon/digimon world exist somewhere coz someone imagined it... You aint god mister, whatever u think wont make u more than the half powerless dust u are in the infinite.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join