It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Storm over BNP on Major BBC Programe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
There has been a political storm over here in the UK, over the last couple of weeks, over the BBC's decision allowing the leader of the BNP, to appear on its major public political programme.

Befoe I post quotes, and links:

Incase anyone does not know what Question Time is: Here is some information about the programme:

Question Time is a topical debate television programme in the United Kingdom, based on Any Questions?. The show typically features politicians from at least the three major political parties as well as other public figures who answer questions put to them by the audience. The Audience being mainly made up from the Public.

It is usually recorded about 2 hours prior to transmission, but has been broadcast live as recently as May 2009 when the broadcast came from Salisbury at the earlier time of 9pm BST.

The current series began on 24 September 2009 and is currently being shown on BBC One at 22:35 on Thursdays (and slightly later in Wales).

Information About The Programme

Now the BBC Took a decision in September to invite the leader of the BNP onto the panel, since the BNP obatined over 1 million votes, during the recent European Elections, this the BBC claims gives the BNP legitamacy as a political party, the same as say the UKIP, or the Green party.

Now we have had Ministers from the Political parties claiming, what the BBC is doing is illegal for one, also they are giving a platform to racists to spout thier veiws on a major poltical progamme, which gives them legiamancy to spread thier hatred to the British Public. Welsh Minister Mr Hain, also went onto say, that since the Courts have issued a ruling, stating that since the BNP excludes, Blacks, asians etc from other communities to obtain membership to thier Political Party, that they are not legally a potlictal party.

The BBC are claiming that since it is thier duty to impartiality towards any poltical party and to the public. That it is right that the BBC invites the Leader of the BNP onto the poltical programme to discuss issues, or event challenge him on the issues his poltical party claims.

Also the BBC claim that if legal action is taken to stop the appearance of Mr Griffins on to the show, that in itself is censorship!

The UK's equalities watchdog has begun legal action against the British National Party over concerns about ethnic restrictions on its membership.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission said limiting membership to those of an "ethnic origin" described as "indigenous Caucasian" was illegal.

Legal Action Over BNP Membership

BBC TO ALLOW BNP ON QUESTION TIME

Deputy director general Mark Byford has said it is not the BBC's role to censor the BNP as criticism mounts ahead of the party's Question Time appearance.

He said the BNP's Euro vote meant the BBC had to allow it on as part of its "responsibility of due impartiality".

BBC DEFENDS DECISION ADMIST PROTESTS

The BBC has rejected Welsh Secretary Peter Hain's warning that it could face legal action over BNP leader Nick Griffin's appearance on Question Time.

The show is due to feature Mr Griffin and other panellists on 22 October.

Legal Action Warning - BNP Question time

I would like to hear others views on this?

I myself think he should be allowed to appear on the show, he has already appeard on News Channels, as well as other poltical programmes. So why not this one. Okay it gives his party a platform to sput thier hatred, bu there will be other panelists on the programme to challenge over his views, infron of the public, and it gives the public a chance to challeng my Griffin over his parties views or rules.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
As much as i dislike him and his party's views he DOES have a right to be on Question Time.

I will watch it tonight, in the hopes that he gets torn apart by the other panelists.

But it does obviously give him a platform to spout his hatred.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Do you think the BBC are doing this for the Publicity and the Audience Figures. Or are they actually doing this to challenge The Government to see if they are going to censor this?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I am not sure to be honest.

It could easily be for publicity. I am pretty sure Question Time still has high viewing figures though.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
What political storm? The views of a few MPs who would rather us focus on the BNP being on a prime time question program, rather than their handling of MPs expenses, the economy, war in Iraq and Afganistan.

As we have seen on this web site, there are people who dislike what the BNP stand, just as their are people who dislike what Labour or the Tories stand for, but do you see people expending this much effort on why senior members of the Labour party are invited on to Question Time, when the military action in Iraq is so questionable?

The last time I checked, we live in a democracy and I would never want to deny the rights of a legal political party to present its point of view, even if those views are objectionable by some.

This is just the main stream parties and media attempting to kick up a story so we will focus on it, rather than the more serious issues impacting our country and us on a day to day basis.

If only Welsh Secretary Peter Hain spent as much time and effort working to remove Robert Mugabe from power and spare Zimbabwe as he does on less important issues, then Zimbabwe might be a better country.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Wow, i might actualy watch question time tonight ,,, in hope that griffin gets heckled out of the building!

at the end of the day, he does call himself a politician, so i suppose its only right he get his shot on question time.. lets hope the bbc dont pussy out and they let some nasty questions through their checks.

Kram09, i think thats maybe 50% of the reason for him being their (ratings), well, maybe 70% ... the other being he did actualy manage to get some sheep following him at the last elections .

im going to shine my pitch fork now... its going to be some intreaging tv i bet!

[edit on 22-10-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Of course he should be allowed to be a panel member.It's a legitimate political party which garnered alot of votes in the EU elections.No i don't like his views or party but i can say the same about the libs,tories and labour yet i have to put up with their vile little faces on Question time every week.Anyway,if you are against this while calling the BNP fascists etc you should look up the word hypocrite. In any case we will no doubt see the usual idiots in the audience who boo and jeer accoording to the weeks news headlines and opinions. Bunch of sheep the lot of them. Can't stand question time for that very reason,they are led by what's in the papers and not what is actually important.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I love question time, It's one of the only programs i watch.
I'm glad they've allowed Nick Griffin on there tonight.

Hopefully he'll get his ass handed to him by not only the panel members....but by the audience too.

I can see fireworks tonight.

As much as i hate Nick Griffin (as do most decent people) i still think the BBC are right to allow him on the show.

He was on C4 news the other night and he debating some Army representative.. and John Snow (the presenter) was joining in too.

www.youtube.com...

Can't wait for question time tonight.

His decision to use Winston Churchill's picture, along with those of Spitfire pilots and WWII heroes and soldiers in general is just sickening...

www.youtube.com...

:shk: :shk:

(I like one of the comments on youtube... "This guy should wash his mouth before he mentions Churchill`s name again" right on!! )

www.guardian.co.uk...

I'm glad so many figures are coming out in force against this vile individual.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Wait a moment, the audience on question time ask the questions, the questions are not screened before hand. So every persn whom go on to question time are sheep are they?

Or are you referring to the Panel? If so then not all of those whom go on to the panel are sheep! Look who they have had on the panel, look at the past arguments on the panel.

While I agree with regards to the idiotic faces off the 3 main political parties, they has been those whom have been on that panel who have given the politicians a run for thier money.

Anyway,if you are against this while calling the BNP fascists etc you should look up the word hypocrite.

I would like to know whom you are targeting with regards to this comment/

edit to sort typos!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
NG has every right to appear on Question Time. Is the BNP the ogre it has been made out to be? I look forward to making up my own mind.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Im not aiming it at anyone in particular,it's just something i often hear. Calling the BNP fascists while at the same time trying to silence them from the media and debates. Which is the best way to dismantle people like Griffin and the BNP,let them have all the air time in the world and soon the layers will start to peel and everyone will see the rotten core. As for question time,if you haven't noticed the audience follow the msm bandwagon. Whatever is on news is suddenly what is important and worth asking a question about when 90% of the time it's unimportant garbage,imo anyway.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

The opponent guest to nick griffin got his backside handed to him on a plate. Kinda ironic those generals whom criticised him for using Military symbols for his party, did not appear to confront himover it. May i also add which I myself find double standards, it is oks for parties such as labour, conservative, liberals to use them, but it is not oks for the BNP.

I might not like what they stand for, or disagree with the terms of thier membership.

One rule against one party should mean A set rule against all political parties.

Solomons, thank you for clearing up the point I raised with you, it is much appreciated

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I think it would be a subversion of free speech and a cowardly indication of encroaching censorship in the media at large if the BNP were banned from attending question time.

I do not watch much mainstream media but question time is one program I do watch because the audience can be merciless with their questions and seeing politicians squirm like the worms that they always brightens my night.

The BNP in my opinion are a political party like it or not and they are entitled to present their views just like any other political party is allowed to present their views. I am not blind, I can see that they are extreme in many of their views but they still have the right to speak even if personally I find their mission statement to be abhorrent.

My opinion of the BNP is not relevant in the context of the ideal of free speech because he has the right and I have the choice to watch, listen or not.

Mr Griffin will either come across with some interesting points or he will shoot himself in the foot. I keep an open mind on his attendance and the things he says because I am willing to hear what he has to say with an open mind.

I do not jump on hate-boats or other related bandwagons and if my mind is to be swayed against him Mr Griffin then can do that himself, I do not welcome the MSM’s efforts in attempting to do so and thus they will always fail in their attempts.

As far as I am concerned the real issues are the wars being fought for peace and democracy the cash for questions, MP’s expenses and the financial crisis (vomitus maximus).

Everything else is just distraction as far as I am concerned so let the man speak I say.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Im still not convinced it will go ahead, i mean it could get rather nasty i would not be suprised if he pulls out at the last minute.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Well it goes live tonight, unless the UK Govenrment trys to pull the plug onthe programme, which in itself will just show how much they are trying to control us and also it will show that we as british citizens do not have any free speech in this country what so ever.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
NG has every right to appear on Question Time. Is the BNP the ogre it has been made out to be?

Yes it is.

I completely disagree with them being given a nationwide voice and beyond sickened that they exist at all but as the BBC has an impartiality charter it would be seen as censorship.

I am confident they will be shown up for the ignorant racists they are, and that this farce will be far more detrimental to their cause than beneficial.

If you feel strongly enough with regard to the BBC allowing the BNP air time you can complain to them using the link below:

BBC Complaints Form

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Koka]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I'll be watching this a friend of mine is one of the riot officers on duty at the BBC HQ in case the UAF a.k.a the real nazi's start kicking off..as they usually do.. that's what happens when you let leftist agenda's and drugs take control of students..anyways

he DOES have a right to his views and a place on the panel.. i wonder how he will work this as Le Pen did something similar in 1984 and in the 2002 french election he came 2nd to be president.

He has to be REALLY careful what he says on the show as this is the big time now for the BNP.

I'll definately be watching this

I just want to see Jack Straw get ripped to shreds personally.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I dont think the government would pull the plug on it which if they did would be disgraceful, more like Griffin may back away from with security fears or the beeb my intervene first. Im not sure really, even though i dont live in the UK i still watch QT every week so it would be a shame to have it cancelled this week.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I agree.. all these anti fascists should look up the meaning of the word.. the UAF are the biggest Nazi's and fascists around all the marching they do with the usual crap "Stop the Fascist BNP" should instead be "Vote in the lefties, legalise drugs..man" up to me i'd burn the lot of them..but it's not..shame :/

Like at the EDL rally in manchester i went to.. it was organised by the EDL not the BNP yet they came up with the same crappy pickets. the EDL have people of all races and sexualities, and now the BNP have black members and they have lots of Jewish members so what's with all the racist rubbish?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Im all for the BNP to be on this show. i kinda wish i lived in england so i could see it. someone should post it after the nighst episode so we can all watch it. thatd be cool. but yeah, the way i see it, they are a legitimate political party and should be given a platform to preach and debate the ideas of the party. i dont really know the platform they have but from what your all saying its racist and hatred. if they received a million + votes in ur elections, then alot of you are racist and hate so.. i dont really see the conflict and im happy to see the BBC being journalists and not a tool...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join