It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who do you think we'll look back upon and say....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Who do you believe we will look back on, say 500-1000 years from now and say, "Wow" they were truly beyond their time.

I have a few characters in mind, Richard Dawkins, Michio Kaku, Ronald Mallett.

Those are my three, although no definite number on how many you could pick.

Those are my three main ones, I feel that in centuries time, we would look back as true pioneers, and true rebels, and true conquerers.

I feel Dawkins, for his Main Stream ability to elaborate and invoke people to the idea of evolution.

I feel Kaku, for his ability to be Sagan like, but I see him expanding on this, beyond what Sagan could.

I feel Mallett, for maybe, a bias reason.... I feel his researches are just, and should be contributed too, and in that, maybe we'll find more, then we could've ever hoped for, he I hope, does great works... (If your reading this Mallett, don't let me down!!!!)

There, you have mine, I look forward to reading yours!!! (And also why you chose yours....)

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

You know, I really struggle for an answer to this question.

I made a decision in my life, never to measure myself by anyone elses standards or look up to anyone else in life because I believe it limits potential.

I never knew how much that had influenced me until I came across this thread when I could not answer.

I dont look up or down at anyone anymore.

Made my day chief.

Thanks.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I'm on board with Kaku. Phenomenal mind.

2) George W. Bush: Look what a common dumbass could achieve with the right spin artists

3) Obama: Same reason.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I don't agree with that.

How can having somebody to look up to, a role model, limit potential?

Surely it has the opposite effect?

Back to OP:

I believe only time will tell. Its only when looking back in retrospect that we can fully appreciate an individuals ability.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by XXXN3O

I don't agree with that.

How can having somebody to look up to, a role model, limit potential?

Surely it has the opposite effect?

Back to OP:

I believe only time will tell. Its only when looking back in retrospect that we can fully appreciate an individuals ability.

Peace.

Well if anyone follows in anothers footsteps I think it is unlikely they will overcome the other persons achievements.

Thats different from learning from another or being mentored of course.

The whole student overcoming the master story is something completely different from gearing your ambition alongside anothers success footsteps if that makes sense. A lot of people look up (put themselves below) people who are not teachers but rather people who have lots of cash or a certain way of thinking that they are in agreement with. Both are not success to me but it might be success to another.

Its just my opinion, of course people will disagree with that and I am not saying everyone, I am just looking around where I come from at people who believe they are a failure because they cant be Richard Branson or Bill Gates if you get me. Thats not what lifes about and its a fine line in my eyes.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Yes, i understand what you are saying, i think.

I can see your point. But if my sons role model was Einstein, Newton, Mozart, etc, etc, who am i to say 'actually son, i wouldn't bother, you probably won't be as good as them'

Now, i agree with you that the potential for failure to emulate their successes is huge, but that shouldn't stop them trying. There would be no progress at all.

What i see the problem being is the complete opposite. People aiming so low just so they can say 'i did it!'

When young girls role models are Paris Hilton and boys role models insanely rich 'musicians', i ask myself......who's reaching for the stars these days?

Peace.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by XXXN3O

Yes, i understand what you are saying, i think.

I can see your point. But if my sons role model was Einstein, Newton, Mozart, etc, etc, who am i to say 'actually son, i wouldn't bother, you probably won't be as good as them'

Now, i agree with you that the potential for failure to emulate their successes is huge, but that shouldn't stop them trying. There would be no progress at all.

What i see the problem being is the complete opposite. People aiming so low just so they can say 'i did it!'

When young girls role models are Paris Hilton and boys role models insanely rich 'musicians', i ask myself......who's reaching for the stars these days?

Peace.

If you are a young person, looking around for inspiration is something that I dont think limits anyone as it gives people a sense of what they want to do in life.

However if you are an adult and still looking at the same person it can become a benchmark and that is when I think it limits potential and it can have just as bad an effect if you beat your benchmark. In other words I believe theres a certain time that you have to let go if you get me or you will never be yourself.

Your spot on with some of the role models ie Paris Hilton and so on. What raises my eyebrows however is that a lot of young kids do not know any better when it comes to setting sights.

I mean, I know a certain person who said to me not long ago that what they wanted to do in life was use their looks to get them a footballer or famous person who would give them all their money.
I mean im not saying have unbelieveable ambitions but more, whats wrong with being yourself in life and using your own abilities to get you on in life?

Ever heard of a person who looks at lets say a famous musician and says, I want to be a rockstar just like them, they get to the top of the game and get all the cash and adoration of fans etc. One year down the line they are full of drugs, constantly in and out of rehab and completely lost when it comes to a sense of direction. I am not talking just about limits that can cause failure but also limits that you might be able to overcome easily if you did not constantly focus on the person you want to be like. If you dont have your own plans then your going to hit a dead end.

I guess to say that in a nutshell, dont make your life about someone elses.

Hope that makes sense.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Who do you believe we will look back on, say 500-1000 years from now and say, "Wow" they were truly beyond their time.

In that time frame you give, I cannot think of anyone in modern times that is that far ahead of anyone else in WOW factor.

Of course it all depends on what in the future is proven to be true.

One I would say is Burt Rutan. For both his engineering feats; First non stop unrefueled flight around the globe and the first privately funded space flight-that is if they make it. But also for his conspiracy theories that are freakily similar to mine. Here is one of them.

Quote from wiki I know I cannot stand quoting it either but something quick:

"I put myself in the (Those who fear expansion of Government control) group, and do not hide the fact that I have a clear bias on [ Anthropogenic global warming (AGW)]. My bias is based on fear of Government expansion and the observation of AGW data presentation fraud - not based on financial or any other personal benefit. I merely have found that the closer you look at the data and alarmists’ presentations, the more fraud you find and the less you think there is an AGW problem... For decades, as a professional experimental test engineer, I have analyzed experimental data and watched others massage and present data. I became a cynic; My conclusion – “if someone is aggressively selling a technical product who’s [sic] merits are dependant [sic] on complex experimental data, he is likely lying”. That is true whether the product is an airplane or a Carbon Credit."

I will leave the others out, because they are way too out there. They are in the realm of theories, on why our solar system is heating up and the direct correlations to it.

top topics

join