It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A look into the future that never was!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I came across a great website keeping track of articles/predictions from the past (1870-1990)! Very interesting articles, indeed. I'll post some of my Favorites, but I would suggest browsing hist site for more content, there are many more... Enjoy!

PALEO-FUTURE

www.paleofuture.com...

The Paleo-Future blog was started by Matt Novak in January of 2007. Matt has since become an accidental expert on past visions of the future, and has amassed the world's largest (only?) library of media related to the study of paleo-futurism.

ENTRIES IN 1870S

The July 10, 1873 Decatur Republican (Decatur, IL) describes, in a rather condescending manner, a prediction of one Professor Plantamour. It seems Plantamour was fond of making predictions involving comets, predicting in 1872 that Plantamour's Comet would collide with Earth on August 12, 1873. After it was fairly certain that such an event would not take place Prof. Plantamour moved his disaster dates further into the future. In the case of this prediction from 1873, the year 2011 would bring about a completely frozen Earth.

ENTRIES IN 1880S

FLYING MACHINES

This image, depicting many different flying machines, is from the Library of Congress, dated circa 1885. The full image appears below along with many different cropped versions showing the detail of the piece. The Library of Congress description of the engraving also appears below.

Anyone sees a UFO in there?

FRENCH FLYING MACHINES (1890-1900)

Anyone sees more UFOs?

These French cards, archived at the Library of Congress, were produced sometime between 1890 and 1900. Most of the cards illustrate important feats from ballooning history between 1795-1846, while card number two (pictured above) depicts futuristic visions of flight from the 1800s.

MORE FRENCH PRINTS OF THE YEAR 2000 (1900)

Hunting and Destroying Microbes

Flying Tennis

Projecting Telescope

Underwater Croquet

Flying Buses
4.bp.blogspot.com...

LONDON TO NEW YORK IN 2 DAYS! (1919)

This September 21, 1919 piece in the Nevada State Journal (Reno, NV) was titled "Giant Air Cruisers To Link Cities of World, Predicts British Expert." The most interesting part of the article is by far the "Aerial Time Table." Just 7 days from London to Perth? Amazing!

The Daily Chronicle, which indulges in a bit of fanciful prophecy, publishes this airship table:

From London to:

New York: 2 to 2.5 days
San Francisco: 4.5 days
Cairo: 1.5 days
Perth, Australia: 7 days
Cape Town: 5.5 days
Rio de Janeiro: 4 days

"Airships would have saloons rivaling those of great steamships for comfort," says the Chronicle. "As lightness is essential, practically everything would be made of aluminum alloy, as strong as steel and one-third the weight."

ANIMALS MUST 'PAY THEIR WAY' (1926)

It is astonishing how many predictions of the early 20th century assumed animals (that is, all animals) would eventually be extinct simply because they were not needed by humans. A piece by John Elfreth Watkins, Jr. in the December, 1900 Ladies Home Journal predicted that there would be, "no wild animals except in menageries." The article above, from the November 11, 1926 Galveston Daily News (Galveston, TX), operated under similar assumptions. Titled, "To Find Some Use For Every Wild Animal," the piece assumed that in the future animals would have to justify their existence by proving their usefulness to humankind. That's a far cry from today when we're trying to save polar bears, which everyone knows are lazy and deceitful. I mean really, what has a polar bear done for you lately?

INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL OF THE FUTURE (1932)

This illustration of international travel in the future, complete with robotic red-cap porters, appeared in the December 4, 1932 San Antonio Light (San Antonio, TX). It seems that all you need to do is step into the tube of your choice, then be shot out via capsule to your final destination. The design has a very Rube Goldberg feel to it. Why one must first go down a slide, before ascending stairs couldn't be confirmed by presstime. The caption that accompanied the illustration is below.

ROOF OVER NEW YORK (1949)

It's amazing how popular the idea of roofing in an entire city was in the 20th century. The concept of one day controlling the weather was likely exciting because it meant absolute domination over nature and one's environment. I suspect to conquer weather was the penultimate in shaping humankind's destiny, while the ultimate was likely immortality. (Someone's still working on that one, right?)

Weather control... interesting!

FLYING FAMILY CAR (1958)

The November 30, 1958 edition of This Week magazine ran this illustration of the flying family car. The image accompanied a larger piece about Army vehicles of the future. Best thing about the article? It promised that this flying car could be a reality within two years.

You noticed the caption where it says "Army jeep has already been test-flown"... this was after Roswell crash right?

A SUIT FOR THE FIRST MAN ON THE MOON (1961)

The August 6, 1961 Post-Standard Sunday magazine (Syracuse, NY) ran a short piece about an Experimental Engineering class at UCLA that was experimenting/playing with a "moon man's suit." Designed by Allyn B. Hazard, the suit also appeared on the cover of Life magazine's April 27, 1962 issue.

you're telling me their "perfected" the suit, tested it and we went to the moon 7 years later? mmm...

I wonder what we'll predict for the next few hunderd years... oh right we're all going to die in 2012, nvm!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This article started all... pretty damn accurate!

What may happen in the next hundred years! (1900)

In 1900 John Elfreth Watkins, Jr., author of many detective and mystery novels, wrote a piece for the December issue of Ladies Home Journal speculating about what the next hundred years held. Everything from weather control to pneumatic tube delivery to the science that will surely bring "strawberries as large as apples" were predicted. According to the book Yesterday's Future: The Twentieth Century Begins the Watkins article was translated into German for the Milwaukee Herold und Seebote (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) in 1901.

1. five hundred million people = Illuminates agenda?
2. the American will be taller = True I would say
3. there will be NO C, X or Q = Unfortunately still around
4. hot and Cold air from spigots = True
5. no mosquitoes nor flies = Those buggers are still around
6. ready-cooked meals will be bought = True
7. no foods will be exposed = interesting thought though, would air vacuum count?
8. coal will not be used for heating or cooking = True
9. there will be no street cars in our large cities = Still around
10. photographs will be telegraphed = True
11. Trains 150 miles an hour = True
12. automobiles will be cheaper then horses = True.. I think?
13. everybody will walk ten miles = Not in North America
14. To england in 2 days = True
15. there will be air ships = True
16. aerial warships and forts on wheels = True
17. man will see around the world = True
18. telephones around the world = True (for most of the countries)
19. Grand opera will be telephoned = True ?!
20. how children will be thought = They're not, which is why we're where we are
21. store purchases by tube = True
22. vegetables grown by electricity = True
23. oranges will grow in Philadelphia = True?! Anyone in Philly wanna confirm this!
24. strawberries as large as apples = True
25. peas as large as beets = Almost true
26. black, blue and green roses = True
27. few drugs will be swallowed. = Wayyyyy off, we used to take drugs in the 70s to see the world crazy, but now we take the drugs to see this crazy world normal!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Unfortunately it's not what the Elites have in mind. They wanted the future the way the want to.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I find the complete obliteration of the natural environment as a goal to be rather a disurbing aspect of this. It's certainly not what I want to see at all-- everything paved and all animals exitinct but the ones that are enslaved. I'm happy that hasn't yet fully succeeded. What a quaint example of ignorant foolishness!

Many others saw differently, even at that time and things are looking more like what occultists envisioned, thank God.

Throw alot of that future that never was into the dustbin! Good riddance.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

That link pretty much summed up what has happened for the most part. The internet really surprised me.

EDIT:

Many of the pre-19th century stuff is kinda silly, like the wings attached to a person's body, but otherwise pretty cool stuff.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by socrates271]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
that was kinda interesting. nice post

i liked how they hadnt thought of planes yet and just kept advancin on the hot air balloon design haha.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by whateverponcho

What amuses me is how we used to think our future is going to be like and wonder a hundred years from now how accurate our predictions today will be! Human imagination... is an interesting thing!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

just read about this guy on FARK.com.

facinating stuff. here is a BBC article predicting the next 100 years:

www.bbc.co.uk...

to summarize the BBC article:

1. Oceans will be extensively farmed and not just for fish (Jim 300)
2. We will have the ability to communicate through thought transmission (Dev 2)
3. Thanks to DNA and robotic engineering, we will have created incredibly intelligent humans who are immortal (game_over)
4. We will be able to control the weather (mariebee_)
5. Antarctica will be "open for business" (Dev 2)
6. One single worldwide currency (from Kennys_Heroes)
7. We will all be wired to computers to make our brains work faster (Dev 2)
Big Morongo Wildlife Preserve (2007) Will deserts become tropical forests?
8. Nanorobots will flow around our body fixing cells, and will be able to record our memories (Alister Brown)
9. We will have sussed nuclear fusion (Kennys_Heroes)
10. There will only be three languages in the world - English, Spanish and Mandarin (Bill Walker)
11. Eighty per cent of the world will have gay marriage (Paul)
12. California will lead the break-up of the US (Dev 2)
13. Space elevators will make space travel cheap and easy (Ahdok)
14. Women will be routinely impregnated by artificial insemination rather than by a man (krozier 93)
15. There will be museums for almost every aspect of nature, as so much of the world's natural habitat will have been destroyed (LowMaintenanceLifestyles)
16. Deserts will become tropical forests (jim300)
17. Marriage will be replaced by an annual contract (holierthanthou)
18. Sovereign nation states will cease to exist and there will be one world government (krozier93)
19. War by the West will be fought totally be remote control (LowMaintenanceLifestyles)
20. Britain will have had a revolution (holierthanthou)

-subfab

new topics

top topics

join