It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cove - New Dolphin Slaughter Movie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Winner of the Audience Award for Best Documentary at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival, The Cove follows a high-tech dive team on a mission to discover the truth about the international dolphin capture trade as practiced in Taiji, Japan. Utilizing state-of-the-art techniques, including hidden microphones and cameras in fake rocks, the team uncovers how this small seaside village serves as a horrifying microcosm of massive ecological crimes happening worldwide.

The Cove exposes not only the tragedy of dolphin slaughtering in Japan, but also the dangerously high levels of mercury in dolphin meat and seafood, the cruelty in capturing dolphins for entertainment, and the depletion of our oceans fisheries by worldwide seafood consumption. We also see how the mandate of the International Whaling Commission has been manipulated by the Japanese Fisheries Agency for its benefit and its subsequent effect on the rest of the world.

I think this is fantastic that this movie has been made! It actually looks like these guys went to some great lengths to expose the slaughter of Dolphins ... 5 stars!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Thankyou for this empathetic and insightful thread. Here is a thread I posted some time ago about the movie, hopefully this will continue to get all of the necessary news coverage it deserves.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Repost to say that even though I in so many ways do not want to see the movie I will just to support the exposure of this sinister act against one of the most beautiful and intelligent creatures on our planet. So many millions of people have been moved by what the Dolphins have to share with us.

The little surfer girl on the yellow surf board looked terribly diswrought, not for the danger her life was in by being present during the kill but for her fellow sea family, the beloved Dolphins.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I feel the same , This film might be sad to watch but it deserves the exposure so that it hits home to the right people .... a town that promotes itself on dolphins then takes them round the corner and kills them .... how dumb can you be.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jpvskyfreak

From what I understand it was a very old tradition from a time long ago, it has however gone to the greedy and not the spiritual side of things over the years and now it pure profit for the few and the discards go to certain programs that could easily use alternatives to Dolphin now that we have better understanding of our enviroment and all the creatures in it. Also there are thousands more to feed and what was once a respected tradition can no longer sustain.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I just cant believe that there are not more people commenting on your thread, I am sorry it is strange.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jpvskyfreak

The makers of this documentary deserve all the coverage they can get. When I first heard about this I forwarded the link to The Cove trailer to everyone on my email list. Dolphins are highly intelligent creatures and their slaughter is an outrage that needs to be stopped. They are not "food", they are animals of extraordinary advanced thought processes and that fact has been proven time and again to anyone who has researched them.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Watch the full movie THE COVE right now!!

www.esoterictube.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This film is amazing!!

www.thecovemovie.com...

www.takepart.com...

Best Documentary winner! With this win, a powerful message has been sent to the Japanese government. The world now knows about the senseless killing of dolphins in Japan. While being presented the Best Documentary statuette, dolphin activist Ric O'Barry displayed a banner that said text dolphins to 44144. Text to learn more and send a message to the Obama Administration and the Japanese government that the cove needs to be shut down. Many of those dolphins are captured and sent to dolphinariums and swim-with-dolphin programs.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The Cove movie has made an impact -- and the first day of the dolphin slaughter was stopped!!

www.takepart.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

Well the first day of the dolphin slaughter was stopped apparently for a while....

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar I just cant believe that there are not more people commenting on your thread, I am sorry it is strange.

I think I can understand why there are few comments.

I can watch a person die and I have watched people die but for the life of me I cannot bear to watch a dolphin die on my screen. That is what is really strange to me and so to watch video of dolphin slaughter and then to comment on the slaughter is to play chicken with the abyss because I have a deep love of the cetacean.

Recently on the discovery channel there was a documentary about an Orca in Alaska that over a period of years would play with people on the water and it acted like a dog, always seeking out human company like an old friend and seeking them out for company. Of course it ended badly after several years and the Orca ended up being mangled in the props of a logging boat and died almost instantly of its injuries.

This death had such a remarkable effect on me I simply burst into tears as I watched the TV inconsolably in my lounge while my wife and my eldest daughter looked at me in shock and surprise. I had to leave the room until I was able to regain control and this is not characteristic of me to shed tears so easily but for some reason the knowledge that the Orca dying so horribly just because it had tried to make human contact was like plunging a dagger into my heart.

Humans die all the time but I objectify it to an abstract in that it is easy for me to see that there is little to no innocence in them. Animals such as the noble cetacean die all the time and as far as I am concerned they are as innocent as a new born baby when put into the context of a human mind = I cannot watch a documentary on senseless dolphin slaughter.

Sure Orcas kill Dolphins and Dolphins also return the favour if they encounter lone Orcas and they kill each other probably quite often as they engage in power games but when we engage in similar endeavours against each other we happen to lay waste to vast tracts of land and collateral damage to the environment. Long term damage to generations of human health is endemic to the way we play out our own power games because we use heavy metals and poisons and call it high tech weaponry and smart weapons.

That to me is not a natural thing and there is the difference because cetaceans kill each other for fear of threat to young or even for revenge but even so there is natures balance as cetaceans do not level an undersea mountain or coral system during the process.

I happen to value true innocence in humans and animals much more than gold or precious stones a million times over.

Innocence and adherence to the laws of nature evolved over billions of years is a singularly extraordinary thing that I adore about the animal kingdom and to see it turned against a noble, beautiful life by human design or human accident is always a sledgehammer blow to me because we will only know what we have lost when we have lost it to industry and the mighty buck but by then it will be too late and too late is inexcusable.

Perhaps similar reasons are why many might not be willing to touch this thread because using my own trepidation as a template, to witness cetacean murder by humans evokes a pain or a sense of shared responsibility within the soul, the very same pain I experienced at the death of an orca on my TV screen I never met and who had died years ago. However I know of this Japanese business of Dolphin murder and it is an absolute filthy abhorrence to me and the thought of such low acts evoke a rare sense of quiet fury deep within me as I am by nature not quick to anger and I do not like to seethe – even silently.

Many argue that it is just a part of long cherished culture we do not understand and therefore have no right to comment on but I have never been one to respect or to accept any tradition that requires the blood of another (innocent or not) so I say that it is time for this tradition to be extinguished because this is one tradition that never should have started in the first place.

Starred and flagged OP for bringing it to notice but respectfully and with my sincere apologies I cannot watch it as I need to be able to sleep but I will be passing the links onto my friends outside ATS.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
He's right, to murder a dolphin is just as bad as to murder a human being.

These creatures, with larger brains that humans, can not be murdered.

Anyone who partakes in murder gets sent to hell - just another reason why not to commit dolphin murder.

They either stop immediately, or they just go to hell, literally.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
S&F for you, great movie!! I normally stream a lot of movies, but I bought this one and got some for friends/family too. I wanna support the producers so they can keep on making movies like that...and that's not something I can say about a lot of movies.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

I fell asleep partway through that and I hoped that the whale went out to sea with a pod. It sucks to know the truth

top topics

join