It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the world will NOT end in 2012: Nasa scientist debunks conspiracy theories

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Why the world will NOT end in 2012: Nasa scientist debunks conspiracy theories

www.dailymail.co.uk...

In an article published by the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, Dr Morrison has answered the top 20 questions in an attempt to assuage these fears.

According to the theories on the internet, the calendar used by the ancient civilisation of the Mayans is due to come to an end in December 2012.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Doc Tesla]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
You can scream dis-info all you want, but the point is more and more respected scientists are standing up an calling hoax on 2012. Morrison brings up a lot of good points and shows how 2012 is just an excuse for Hollywood to make more movies based on peoples fears. It's only a matter of time before more and more people become aware that 2012 will just be another year no matter what some web bot or calender says.

www.dailymail.co.uk...]
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Doc Tesla]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I've never understood why 2012 was supposed to be significant. Sure, I knew that was when the Mayan calendar ended, but so what? It would be like if society had implemented an end date on our current Gregorian calender. Just because a society puts an end date on the calendar they calculated, doesn't mean the whole world will end in some cataclysm. Why should it?
Don't some theorize that maybe the end of calendar was when Mayans believed their empire would fall? And, since it did that ages ago, why should we continue to worry about the date they made? While yes, their calendar was highly sophisticated, it is still just a calendar.

If we can't see Nibiru with our telescope in space, how did Mayans know when it would destroy our planet? The poles have slowly been shifting since the last time the finished shifting. Why should humans have to wait till 2012 to experience a shift in consciousness? Why that day specifically? Will it still affect someone in the middle of Africa, who has no inkling of this western insanity? Nothing in nature is particular to a specific day, it always changes according to conditons.

Practical thinking tells you it's just a date made special by some ancient calendar. Then you go on the internet and read all the supposed "prophecies" and get excited. Then practical thinking means nothing. It's sad that we need a scientist to sit us all down like children and explain why the world won't end because a calendar does.

It's only an important day because so many peope think it is.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmazingK

To be fair, the mayans NEVER said a word about nibiru... never said a word about the poles shifting... never said the world would end. They said it would be the end of one age and the beginning of another. Plain and simple.

The stuff about the poles shifting and nibiru were prophecies made by people quite recently, and given dates way before this. When they didnt come true, they were shifted over to 2012, because that's a big date in the mayan calendar system, as well as others.

No the world is not going to end. The mayan calendar never claims that, nor do any of their prophecies.

Here's the BUT to the situation, however... Do the NASA scientists in that article explain why the entire solar system is heating up? Do they explain the massive amount of changes that are occurring on a continual basis, seemingly because we are passing through a denser area of the galaxy?

Those are just 2 simple questions that people have been asking about, that seem to be feeding the doom and gloom scenarios floating around out there.

I saw him poo pooing all over the obvious shams and scams going on, and rightly so. However, there's still a great number of things going on that are entirely unexplained, and probably will remain so... because THEY don't know.

I'm glad in some ways for the article, but there's no need for arrogance on anyone's part. There's still much unexplained, and much that ties together, even if on he surface it does not appear to be so.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Well to be fair to your fairness

I do believe the Mayans mention the return of certain gods after the end of this great cycle. And from there one could surmise a story based on the personality and mythology attributed to those gods.

I do not recall which gods or their stories. Hypothetically though, let's say it's the god of destruction and fire. Perhaps in that case, the Mayans believed th world would be lit aflame during this cyclical shift. I dunno, again I am just suggesting there was some mythology attached to the end of cycles.

I do fully agree with your points about the new age ones that are falsely attributed though.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Why should we believe anything NASA says anymore?

They Lie about Mars True Colors
They Lie about Moon
They Wasted people money for the space station and now they are going to cancel it after all these years?

No space colonies yet
No Moon Colonies yet

NASA is a waste.

Something will happen in 2012, funny when 2000 1999 happen no scientist came to debunk Y2K and only one came now? you can tell something is up.

And also how is debunking the 2012 theories, tell has one scientist bothered to study the mayan calendar?

funny NASA used David Morrison a science investigator

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Believe it or not everything is a conspiracy... I promise you that.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

The one that is mentioned (to my memory) as far as the Gods who would be returning, would be quetzelcoatl. For the mayans, QC was an enlightener, gave them all their knowledge and everything associated with their culture.

So, if anything, they had extremely hopeful ideals for the new cycle

But you are absolutely correct in what you say, and its something I try to do with any study of any subject. CONTEXT is EVERYTHING. You have to really understand how the people thought at the time, and what they knew at the time, in order to really understand what they were talking about.

This is true whether you're discussing religion or quantum mechanics (and sometimes those lines get blurred don't they lol)

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Jomina]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Why should we believe everything we hear on the internet? NASA doesn't always lie, and they don't always tell the truth. But somethings are just plain obvious. Most of this 2012 stuff is just internet fantasies and many of these ideas have been propagated by long since discredited sources.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Why is NASA considered an authority on anything other than their space missions? Seems to me they should be making sure another space shuttle doesn't blow up, killing eveyone on board. Me thinks they doth protest too much. (Shakespearian for those who don't know.)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
As I see the whole 2012 mayan thing... I figure those mayan were master star watchers. They could account for every variance of the stars all the way into the future... WAY WAY into the future all the way to 2012.

I figure the only thing that could mess up their math would be a polar shift that would adjust the position of the stars....hence no need to go past twenty twelve...

Not that it is a great be all end all of anything... just that they could no longer predict star paths due to a terrestrial event... Polar shift.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
Why is NASA considered an authority on anything other than their space missions? Seems to me they should be making sure another space shuttle doesn't blow up, killing eveyone on board. Me thinks they doth protest too much. (Shakespearian for those who don't know.)

the reason they should be considered an authority is because the men and women who work at NASA aren't idiots. they worked hard to get themselves there and i would guess that most of them if not all attended a very prestigious college or university. NASA most studies space but the people who work there can have side interests including debunking 2012.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

Yeah, I'm sure they went to all the same universities that produced the bankers who are ruining this country. I'm not impressed.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Yeah, I'm sure they went to all the same universities that produced the bankers who are ruining this country. I'm not impressed.

yes but the bankers were the frat boys in college while the nasa guys were the nerds.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have heard from Dr. Michio Kaku that we will have some disturbances from the sun which will be significant and might really damage our satellites, electrical grid, and other such things like that. If so, civilization; this empire, could collapse.

But I think the 2012 date is and always has been arbitrary b*llsh*t.

Designed to make money off the fear of the masses, I saw the same thing in 1999. As months flew by, fear was ratcheted up again and again. people ransacked local stores for supplies, hoarded canned foods and water, built and guarded their bug out shelters.

Then nothing happened. Those people all came out of their hidey holes eventually and noticed that the world didn't end.

When I was younger than that i met an old man who was in a wheelchair and had a large white beard. He told me that he had swam to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean, well, he said he swam down 25,000 feet. There he met Jesus Christ, who told him that the world would end for California (where I lived at the time) in the year 2006. He said I must get my family out of there by that time, when volcanos would cause California to break off from mainland USA and sink into the Pacific.

Nothing ever came of it.

Now I am older and wiser, and I won't be fearing 2012 for any specific reason other than what Michio Kaku laid out.

But the world, I believe, is still coming to an abrupt end, and soon, maybe before 2012. I just feel like there are hundreds and hundreds of big big problems all balling up on us at once. We are too late to save the planet or the environment, too late to save the seas, too late to save all the poisoned fish which we can no longer eat because of mercury.

We'll be too late to do anything but die off. That's what I think.

Though it has nothig to do with 2012.

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
yes but the bankers were the frat boys in college while the nasa guys were the nerds.

Both are highly incompetent, untruthful groups.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by BaronVonGodzilla]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla

And that's fine, but as I said before, the 'nerds' should focus on replacing the space shuttle and protecting the fragile infrastructure on earth from a potentially devastating solar maximum in the near future. NOT getting involved in 'debunking' stuff that doesn't even matter.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

NOT getting involved in 'debunking' stuff that doesn't even matter.

i agree it doesn't matter...right now. But people as a group are stupid. and fear is a very strong emotion. Fear can lead people to join suicide cults, fear can lead to riots, fear can lead to a lot of thing that can be avoided if someone stepped in and said "there's nothing to worry about". Unfortunately there are more people that like to spread fear rather then contain it.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
But NASA saying this.

Why is it that this kind of crap hits these website. Oh let me see. Who runs this site, NASA, CIA, FBI, Washington.

Oh yes.

I see.

Now where were we. NASA is one to use disinfo to fool the masses. Even if NASA were telling the truth. What reason have we to believe them this time?

As for the world ending in 2012. Yes it is, just not the planet. It's the end of NASA and its buddies. Thats what 2012 is about. TPTB are crumbling. They are using fear to keep the masses confused and delusional. It's basic logic here.

Why would NASA say this now? Like ffs.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Thats the thing.

NASA is a complusive liar. Why would they all of a sudden..........

Turn to the interest of our benifet.

I mean seriously
NASA have lied about EVERYTHING we are supposed to know.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Mind1universe

nasa as a whole might be a fraud but the people that work there can't all be trying to screw us over

top topics

<<   2 >>

join