It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two-year-old Colorado girl denied health insurance for being too skinny

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Two-year-old Colorado girl denied health insurance for being too skinny

www.walletpop.com

Health insurance companies, it appears, are uncannily skilled at creating cute, sweet poster children... for the other side of the health reform debate. Just two weeks ago, Colorado insurer, Rocky Mountain Health Plans denied health coverage of four-month-old Alex Lange because, by growth chart standards, Alex is obese.

Now, according to a report by The Denver Channel, a local affiliate of ABC News, little two-year old Aislin Bates of Erie, Colo. is getting a similar dose of rejection. This time, however, it is because she's underweight and, this time, it's a much bigger insurer: UnitedH
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Okay, first that cute little infant is denied health coverage because he was a little large for his age. Now a little girl is being denied health coverage for being too small for her age.

This some kind of way to get people to demand mandated health insurance?? They mandate auto insurance if you want to drive a car. Car insurance is very expensive. Health insurance is already very expensive and is unlikely to decrease in price when there is suddenly a mandated demand for it.

www.walletpop.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Just glad she wasn't porkly!!!
If they had cut her for that...man O man would it make headlines!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
That's why the public option and govt control on costs are needed.
Pretty obvious, innit.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm reading more and more stories like this on the internet, which makes me wonder if they are all valid or not. (propaganda)

I have two children... and if I wanted to get them health insurance, I could do it over the phone without them meeting a single person. And if somehow they are denied, I'm sure I could find another company that will except our business.

All I'm saying is that it seems like more and more of these insurance stories will probably pop up in the future... Not saying they are fake, it just seems like rare stories like this will be getting more attention.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Wrong. Government needs to stay the hell out of businesses. But the industry does need to change so things like this can't happen. They need to remove the state-by-state restrictions which prevent you from buying private insurance out of state. That would open up the competition pool by a great deal.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Do most of you even know how insurance companies work. They manage risk. If they don't want to insure someone because statistically they are a risk, it is their right. Being too skinny is a sign of bad health, so why would they want to take on that risk?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I, too, think these stories are all a little fishy.

I'm all for healthcare reform, but government mandated health insurance?? Hell no!

I think this is our government controlled media at it's finest.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I have United Health Insurance now and I hope I don't have any problems with it.

Also, my first born daughter weighed 12 lbs at one year old. Yeah, that sounds bad, but she weighed only 4lbs 10 oz and 18 inches long when she was born full term-perfectly healthy. She was just small, and still is small. She's 20 now and is only 4 ft. 7 inches tall.

This is just craziness on the part of the insurance companies.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJsGhost
Do most of you even know how insurance companies work. They manage risk. If they don't want to insure someone because statistically they are a risk, it is their right. Being too skinny is a sign of bad health, so why would they want to take on that risk?

They do understand that. have you ever seen the movie "Along Came Polly"? It's a cheesy Adam Sandler movie with Jennifer Aniston, but at one point it goes into a scene about offering a man life insurance who is high risk. The risk factors all indicated he was way too high risk to insure, but there is also the "human" factor that companies don't take into account anymore when they focus too much on the numbers.

That is what is driving a lot of the hate toward private insurance companies right now - stories of companies ignoring the "human equation" and focusing only on risk calculations. It needs to be done case by case and insurance companies need to remember that they are insuring people, not cars.

That being said, insurance companies also need to take safeguards to make sure they aren't defrauded. But that's a whole other thread.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by sos37]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

The thing that amazes me is tht all of you whine and complain about the cost of insurance, but then you want them to take on way more risks which will just lead to higher premiums for everyone. I guess they cannot win with a nation that thinks money comes from a credit card or a stimulus check.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Wrong. Government needs to stay the hell out of businesses.

That might be your religious belief, but then again religions are known for often being irrational. We, however, operate in a rational world and I don't see how a little girl would be denied service in Sweden or Germany, where healthcare is regulated and sponsored by the govt.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Didn't I read somewhere that Sweden and Germany are being bankrupted by their government sponsored health care programs? Hmmm, that is a strange coninkydinky.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

The thing that amazes me is tht all of you whine and complain about the cost of insurance, but then you want them to take on way more risks which will just lead to higher premiums for everyone. I guess they cannot win with a nation that thinks money comes from a credit card or a stimulus check.

Listen, I agree with you. Insurance is a business and when you take on more risky patients the premiums go up for everyone. That makes perfect sense to me.

The problem is you have a great many people who cannot afford this pricey insurance and whom doctors won't treat without it. We can't leave a large group of our own countrymen (legal citizens) to suffer and possibly die. That's just not ethical. There has to be some solution. But I believe the government regulating the insurance industry or any industry isn't the way to do it.

When you allow the government to start regulating industry and business, where does it end? How long will it be before government tells a company "You've become too profitable. We're implementing a special tax just for you." or government tries to extend control over all business?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Actually if we are to measure the mandatory insurance premiums for cars to the health care I will have to differ with you.

Health care reform is not reform without public option right now remember who is behind closed doors with our for the people President and man of change.

Nothing is going to change but making us buy the private insurance crap by congress mandate or else.

Just remember, my friend the deceptions.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Last time I heard most doctors will take cold hard cash, and usually will reduce the fee if you pay at the time of service. So it is not necessary to have health insurane to get a doctor to take care of you. They prefer cash.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Didn't I read somewhere that Sweden and Germany are being bankrupted by their government sponsored health care programs? Hmmm, that is a strange coninkydinky.

Sure, there are problems there. However, consider this (coming from Germans):

www.npr.org...

KNOX: Her health insurance paid a friend to shop and cook and even help care for the baby until Sabina was back on her feet. The health care system that took such good care of Sabina isn't funded by government taxes. It's paid for by workers and employers. Germans pay about 8 percent of their salaries to a nonprofit insurance company of their choice, and their employers pay about the same amount.

It's roughly the same percentage for everybody. The less people make, the less they have to pay. The more they make, the more they pay. Germans call it solidarity. The idea is that everybody's in it together and nobody should be without health insurance.

Ms. CASAGRANDES: If I don't make a lot of money, I don't have to pay a lot of money for health insurance, but I have the same access to health care that someone who makes more money has.

KNOX: She does say that nearly 8 percent of her salary is a lot.

Ms. CASAGRANDES: Yes, it's expensive. You know, it's a good chunk of your monthly income. But considering what you can get for it, it's worth it.

KNOX: For instance, it covers an expensive medicine that Jan needs for a chronic intestinal problem. He says if they moved to America, they might not be able to buy insurance at all because of their pre-existing conditions.
Mr. JAN CASAGRANDES: (Speaking German)

Ms. CASAGRANDES: He says for him - or for us - the health care system in the United States is the major reason why we have never moved there and never will move there. Because both of us have chronic illnesses that have to have a lot of medical attention, and we would go broke.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I am sure all the realtively healthy people and the businesses really appreciate what amounts to an 8% tax on both individuals and business. I wish them luck competing with the Chinese.

Well at least some good came of the American system, it disuaded a couple of chronically ill Germans from moving here and sucking more money out of the system. Chalk one up for the status quo.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by MJsGhost]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I am sure all the realtively healthy people and the businesses really appreciate what amounts to an 8% tax on both individuals and business. I wish them luck competing with the Chinese.

I hear you! Let's be just like China -- lose our freedoms, confiscate land form farmers, and pay sh!t to workers. All in the sake of "competing". Let that skinny girl die and let her family go bankrupt because look, we still have a lot of mobility (downward) until we are like China.

By the way, last time I checked, German-made cars are highly competitive globally, and so it their other industrial product.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Wrong. Government needs to stay the hell out of businesses.

Wrong. Health care shouldn't be a business in the first place.

The US is way behind the curve on this one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join