It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's that about my cooking???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Love goes through the stomach, that's a saying we have here in Belgium.

Now as far as my cooking goes, everyone has always loved it.
I grew up with the rather unique recipies my father used to cook up, which he got from his family who where mostly gypsies.
Now as far as my cooking goes, everyone has always loved it. I cook for the taste of it, using lots of imagination and definitely not counting calories, so if your on a diet don't eat at my house....
My husband always used to tell people that I'm a good cook.
The last couple of months however he started to complain (which he has never done in 13 years), he even told my family that most of the time I screw up dinner so we have to order take out. Which is not true at all. Ok, there was this one time... but that's not even worth to mention. When I confronted him with this he said it was 'just a joke'.
It's always something: to dry, not enough salt, to much spices, to much, to little, bad quality, weird taste, and the list goes on.
Now I know that there is nothing wrong with my cooking and honestly, I'm a bit insulted by his sudden dislike for food I made... I can taste, I know when it's good or bad and the food I make is good, it's the same things I cooked up years ago. When I ask about it he goes like "I don't mean it that way".
Imo, he's being bitchy.

I know this is not about my cooking... so what is my husband trying to tell me?

And out of curiosity, to the guys in here: does your love go indeed through the stomach?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

I know this is not about my cooking... so what is my husband trying to tell me?

And out of curiosity, to the guys in here: does your love go indeed through the stomach?

OK, as to the first question, I have no idea. Obviously something is bothering him, but what I don't have a clue. Quite often a man will start complaining about something when it might not have anything to do with you in the first place. It's very hard to say.

Since I can cook just fine on my own, the answer for me to the second question is no, I could care less if my better half can cook or not. This might not be the same for every man I'm sure, but speaking personally, love does not go through my stomach, although it can't hurt if she can cook.

Now if I didn't cook, it would be a big plus to me that my significant other could cook well.

But I would sit down with your husband and try to determine what is bothering him as obviously, it's bothering you.

Best of luck in finding out.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I'd be inclined to think that there is something else bothering him. I'd also be inclined to invite him to do the cooking himself.

Possibly, there is something wrong with his taste buds, has he been ill recently or had any trouble with his teeth? A few years ago my taste buds went haywire after a bout of flu.

Anyway, the best thing is to get him to talk. The way you have described things suggests that his behaviour is bordering on bullying. He might think it's a joke, but if he's hurting your feelings he ought to stop.

There's a chance that the underlying problem, if there is one, has nothing to do with you as TribeWilder says. It could be work related or maybe he's worried about his weight.

Good luck.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by berenike]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
thanks for the replies

ok well I asked him about it, again, and he keeps saying that 'nothing is wrong', I'm seeing things...and he didn't mean to make fun or break down my cooking skills.
so were back to 'nothing'.

I told him that every time I feel he is taking 'something' out on me I'll put it on a list. Not that this was the smartest way to go because now he is making a list as well.
Didn't I wrote that I have an excelent relationship in here somewhere just a few days ago? Next time I write that I'll be knocking on wood

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

usually when my hubby complains about things alot its because hes not getting whoppie the way he wants it all the time. I don't know your situation but just thought I'd throw it out there for ya.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

GypsK, count your blessings. At least your husband eats. Mine has peculiar eating habits. Like not eating. I worry that he is so thin, but he's healthy so.....

I wish he would learn that cooking for the one you love is an important part of marriage and family (for the woman). There isn't any point in cooking if I'm the only one eating. Boo hoo.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'd glady do a taste test if you send me your food you cook, to see if hes right

I love food
so you'll be pleased with my results

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Maybe you are reading to much into it, i know though that when you put at lot of effort into something that you enjoy doing ie. cooking, sometime just the littlest comment or bad joke can be taken the wrong way and really get under your skin. So hopefully you can sort it out if you havent already, its never good to let the little things cause problems.

As to your question for the guys, well being one and in Belgium(not originally though) too, i guess you could say that, we always had a saying 'the way to a mans heart is through his stomach'. I do most of our cooking though so i guess the fact that my wife lets me do that gives me a lot of satisfaction and i always try to eat well. I have put on so much weight since moving here. But i can take it a step further and say 'to win a mans heart all you need is beer', especially some of the amzing brews in Belgium.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by concerned190
reply to post by GypsK

usually when my hubby complains about things alot its because hes not getting whoppie the way he wants it all the time. I don't know your situation but just thought I'd throw it out there for ya.

hehe, when he's not getting whoppie he complains about not getting enough whoppie. I don't think that's the case here but just to make sure I just asked him if he gets enough whoppie and he said "dear, a man never gets enough whoppie!"

well, things seem to be a bit better today, still not sure what bothered him so much, he usually doesn't keep things for himself...

Thanks for throwing that into the conversation

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
reply to post by GypsK

GypsK, count your blessings. At least your husband eats. Mine has peculiar eating habits. Like not eating. I worry that he is so thin, but he's healthy so.....

I wish he would learn that cooking for the one you love is an important part of marriage and family (for the woman). There isn't any point in cooking if I'm the only one eating. Boo hoo.

ah I know exactly what you mean. My hubby eats, but it's my daughter that acts like everything I made came out of the sewers or something. In fact I just had a good yell at her for that. I know it's the age and she'll learn to eath things when she gets older... but still, I don't like to cook only for myself either.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001
I'd glady do a taste test if you send me your food you cook, to see if hes right

I love food
so you'll be pleased with my results

haha

I'm sure you'd love to taste my food but I'm afraid it wouldn't survive the trip.
oh wait, don't tell me you live in Belgium also?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Maybe you are reading to much into it, i know though that when you put at lot of effort into something that you enjoy doing ie. cooking, sometime just the littlest comment or bad joke can be taken the wrong way and really get under your skin. So hopefully you can sort it out if you havent already, its never good to let the little things cause problems.

As to your question for the guys, well being one and in Belgium(not originally though) too, i guess you could say that, we always had a saying 'the way to a mans heart is through his stomach'. I do most of our cooking though so i guess the fact that my wife lets me do that gives me a lot of satisfaction and i always try to eat well. I have put on so much weight since moving here. But i can take it a step further and say 'to win a mans heart all you need is beer', especially some of the amzing brews in Belgium.

yep your definitely a man, you say exactly what he said in the first part of your post

I don't drink beer myself, but that's what they say about our brews.. and about our chocolats... and about our wafels... it's good in Belgium

new topics

top topics

join