It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Placebos, biokinesis, the same thing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Well I was thinking about how placebos do actually work to solve/help/heal a physical or mental problem, which got me thinking. If placebos can cure, which is nothing other then some sugar pill that you think will help, then aren't placebos a form of biokinesis? Knowing that! Why not believe in biokinesis and that you can heal yourself with it? Even if it isn't biokinesis that is healing you, doesn't that idea of you healing yourself with this power become a placebo if you give it enough power and belief? The fact is I have tried it when I had a horrible stomach ache and just thought of some technique on the spot to preform biokinesis and what do you know? My pain is gone very shortly after.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 4stral4pprentice

Yeah i dont know, i tried that with my chronic migraines, and they just got worse. Im on real meds for them now.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
hm must say that it doesn't work for me either. I tried on migraines as the poster above me and they also get worse whenever I try to 'heal myself'.

I think the point to a placebo is that you don't know it is a placebo and you put your trust in the doc who gave it to you. With Biokinesis you are aware that there isn't anything touchable, maybe that's what makes it harder, no matter how much you believe.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The problem is there is a difference, a placebo is you being conned into believing your taking a tablet or what ever that will help. Biokenesis is you thinking to do it yourself.

There is a massive difference.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
What we're seeing here is that the ability to delude yourself to a certain extent is actually beneficial. Perhaps it's not a sugar pill but it's religious faith, homeopathy, questionable herbal remedies, a hobby or something else.

Successfully deluding yourself while having full knowledge that you are is in fact a high mental art.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Well for the headache you may be trying to hard? When I attempt biokinesis I hardly give it much effort. I think I'm going to get better and visualize that area healing for a second or two and thats it.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I don’t know about biokinesis but there is strong evidence to suggest that the placebo effect is largely due to conditioned responses.

For those not familiar, classical conditioning is the process by which a neutral stimulus (say, a bell) becomes conditioned to produce a response (salivating) due to consistent pairing with an unconditioned stimulus (dry food). Think Pavlov and his dogs.

In the case of the placebo effect the neutral stimulus is the presence of the pill, the environment it is given in, who by etc whereas the unconditioned stimulus is the actual, active ingredients that cause the response.

When a person is given a placebo, because they believe it to be a genuine medical treatment the body will produce a response which would usually be caused only by the presence of the active ingredients. Thus when you are given a placebo to reduce pain, it will in fact reduce pain.

This can’t be done consciously however.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Impermanence doesn't agree with impossible. What you mean to say is to your knowledge you don't think the placebo effect has been consciously replicated yet.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by 4stral4pprentice]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
placebos are for sheeples, biokinesis for advanced people - it's two different things

placebo works as suggestion on others, while biokinessis is control your own mind, therefor everything, whether it be health, wealth or physical appearance

in short placebos wont work on advanced people as they are familiar with biokinesis,

but you can biokinase placebo and then it will work for you, like put healing energy in to sugar candy and eat it if this easier for you

normally experienced biokinezysts has no need to psychically consume anything

it is just for unexperienced ones, that still believes is the tablets, therefor for shiples then

[edit on 22-10-2009 by angelx666]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

No I meant to say is what I said. The types of conditioned responses that may explain the placebo effect cannot be controlled consciously because they necessarily involve unconscious processes.

Separate, conscious processes could potentially have positive effects on the body but that is not the placebo effect.

reply to post by angelx666

Placebos will work on you, if you think otherwise then you are claiming that you are not subject to one of the major processes by which humans learn new reflexive behaviours.

If the placebo effect had, erm, no effect on you then you would not be a normally functioning human being.

If you believe otherwise then perhaps you should submit yourself to some clinical trials and astound the entire medical world.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

I agree with you now except one thing, nothing is impossible, everythings changes all the time. One truth now can be false later.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
deleted

[edit on 23-10-2009 by angelx666]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Only if we underwent some evolutionary change that provided that ability but then any such change would make the process I described different anyway.

top topics

join