It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter shift pelted inner planets with asteroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Jupiter shift pelted inner planets with asteroids

www.cosmosmagazine.com/news

PORTLAND, OREGON: A shift in Jupiter's orbit early in the life of the Solar System dislodged thousands of rocks from the Asteroid Belt, causing them to hit the inner planets, including Earth.

Evidence for this cataclysmic bombardment comes from a reanalysis of lunar rocks brought back by the Apollo astronauts and a careful study of lunar craters, said David Kring, a planetary geologist at the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston, Texas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Didn't see this posted. I think it could stimulate the Nibiru fans and offer insight into our past, and future.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I havent read the article, but, what can make a planet like jupiter to alter its orbit ??

Somthing huge I bet, some thing of solid iron, something bigger than earth and have powerful node rings ....

I'll read the article later on, this was just my first thought on the matter ..

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Whats funny is that I instantly thought of Nibiru reading this article. Seeing as it's supposed orbit lands somewhere between Jupiter and Mars... around the asteroid belt...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I read someplace else that this "Late Heavy Bombardment (LHB) that occurred 3.9 billion years ago could have also been caused by the instability in the orbit of a fifth "long-lost" rocky planet (our solar system has four rocky planets) that is commonly referred to as "Planet V" by some astronomers.

As the theory goes, this fifth rocky planet orbited between Mars and the asteroid belt. Somehow, its orbit became perturbed enough for it to gain a highly elliptical orbit that sent it through the asteroid belt then eventually back toward the Sun -- where, perhaps after a few million years in this eccentric orbit, the Sun then devoured it.

This path of its orbit through the asteroid belt is what some theorize may have caused the LHB.

Here's an article on the subject:
www.space.com...

and another article from the same source cited by the OP:
www.cosmosmagazine.com...

[edit on 10/21/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FORMe2p00p0n
Whats funny is that I instantly thought of Nibiru reading this article. Seeing as it's supposed orbit lands somewhere between Jupiter and Mars... around the asteroid belt...

But the "3.9 billion years ago" time scale doesn't work with the 3600-year orbit cited by the Nibiru proponents.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Interesting, thanks for the post.

I also heard once that one astronomer hypothesized that the asteroid belt was actually a planet that pulverized to smithereens. (Although I don't think he used that exact choice of words), and the rocks left over stayed in orbit.

What if Jupiter was the object that pulverized the planet into smaller rocks, and a few of them went shooting everywhere...

Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by FORMe2p00p0n

But the "3.9 billion years ago" time scale doesn't work with the 3600-year orbit cited by the Nibiru proponents.

But there are evidence of more than ONE penetration of the asteroid belt, there is not just one 'hole' in it ..

just keep in mind now, that the solar system is changing, is ther any other theories of something changing the entire solar system other that the galactic plane and/or planet X ?? Why try to vreate theories, occams razor ffs, dosent it have any value any more ???

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
Interesting, thanks for the post.

I also heard once that one astronomer hypothesized that the asteroid belt was actually a planet that pulverized to smithereens. (Although I don't think he used that exact choice of words), and the rocks left over stayed in orbit.

What if Jupiter was the object that pulverized the planet into smaller rocks, and a few of them went shooting everywhere...

Just a thought.

Yes, I have that thought too, Jupiter is huge and have satalliets around it ..
Nibiru could be a moon of jupiter, afterall, there could be life there, remember !!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Jupiter wasn't the only planet that "changed orbit" in the past. Astronomers are starting to realise that all of the gas giants migrated outward from orbits closer to the Sun.

top topics

join