It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Police negotiating release of hostages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Canadian Police negotiating release of hostages

www.google.com

Edmonton police spokesman Jeff Wuite said they received a report Wednesday of a man armed with a hunting rifle inside the Workers' Compensation Board building in downtown Edmonton in the western Canadian province of Alberta.

"We do believe there are hostages," Wuite said. "Our officers are speaking with the man and working very diligently to bring this to a peaceful conclusion."

Local radio station CHED reported people who left the building say as many as nine people are being held hostage inside.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theglobeandmail.com

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This is a developing story. but it seems that up to nine people may be being held hostage in the Workers Compensation Building in Canada's Edmonton.

A gun man with a hunt riffle is said to have took to the building and as other evacuated he managed to hold 9 up,

The building is evacuated and waiting confirmation from the police that there is these possible 9 workers in the building with the gun man,
Police have stated that they have opened lines of communication with the hostage taker and they feel positive that the outcome will be ok..

More to follow

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Just a tab bit more from a local radio station there..

A local radio station says man, armed with a high-powered hunting rifle, entered the Workers’ Compensation Board building. CHED says a shot was fired in the lobby, but no one was injured.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

"I was just working and my coworker got a phone call saying a guy was in the building with a gun," said Faizal Ali, an electrical contractor who was working inside the building this morning. "I thought it was a joke."

Police are reported to be talking to the man on the phone, and he has asked for water and cigarettes in exchange for a hostage.

He is said to have made his way to a conference room on the upper floor of the eight-storey building.

The man is also said to be wearing a camouflage jacket and carrying a backpack.

Three city buses are packed nearby with people apparently being debriefed by police, who it's believed will soon be evacuating nearby buildings.

-With files from The Canadian Press

There where also talks of a shot heard but no one was hurt, that was thought to have happened when the man entered the building,

I hope they all get out safe..

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Just seen this on CBC, gonna keep following it, I have quite a few friends/family in the area.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

An armed man is holding hostages in the Workers' Compensation Board building in downtown Edmonton, police have confirmed. An employee who was evacuated from the third floor of the building told CBC News reporter Trish Estabrooks that as many as nine hostages were being held on the eighth floor. "At 8:42 this morning, we received a call that a man with a rifle had walked into the worker's compensation," said Edmonton police spokesman Jeff Wuite.

link

I have heard from sources that the individual is very upset with one doctor and the way he has been treated by Workers Compensation.

If this is indeed the case, he is probably at wits end and just wants his story heard. I hope that is the case.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Just checked CNN.com for some further info, not a trace of the story, guess they haven't found a way to blame it on Obama yet. lol.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
hi all, having been on workers compensation recently , i can only sympathise with this guy, wcb are a joke and are not there for the worker, although i disagree with his hostage taking i really can understand his frustration

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

A local radio station is reporting that the man has a grudge against a doctor who works for the board and is "mad at the world." Jennifer Dagsvik, a WCB spokesperson who was not on site when the incident began, told The Canadian Press that employees who work in the building include case managers and claim adjudicators.

Source

More from CTV news

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is happening two blocks away from me right now. Everything is all blocked off.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Funked

LEt us know if you hear anything more, I heard they where holding 2 buses so that the could debrief people on them, So it looks like the man may have taken a bus,

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Just to update,

It seems that one person believed to be a white male thought to be 1 of the hostages has been released,

There is no confirmation at this time on who this man may be and why he was allowed to leave.

The situation is still ongoing, After more than a few hours, Hopefully soon there will be some resolve.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

The buses are for that were evacuated so they could stay warm and get debriefed by police. No buses have been Taken over or anything like that.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Just to update,

It seems that one person believed to be a white male thought to be 1 of the hostages has been released,

There is no confirmation at this time on who this man may be and why he was allowed to leave.

The situation is still ongoing, After more than a few hours, Hopefully soon there will be some resolve.

One hostage was released after the hostage taker asked for water and cigarettes from what I've heard.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
My sister's office is right across the street. I feel for the hostages but we're going to see more and more people start losing it the way workers are being treated these days.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Im hearing reports that he released a few and now only has kept 2 back,
I cant find any confirmations as of yet but goodness what a long day for the people held,

Im hoping that this will be over very soon now, I believe that this man just wants to send a message rather than harm anyone, That's my hopes anyway.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by asala]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What is the current situation? Do we have any new updates?

Have the cut power to the building?

Are the hostages free yet?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
From what i have been made aware of.....

The man had 9 hostages, He released 7, So still holding 2..

the police are taking it slow as they beleive that this can end well and dont want to agitate the hostage taker,

He has asked fro such things as Ciggs and Water, I beleive the power is still on but i will have to check that out,

A few people via twitter are right opposite the building so im keeping an eye on whats happening,

Reports on the man is that he disagreed with a doctor that had said he was fit to go back to work,

[edit on 21-10-2009 by asala]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Just hearing via Canadian local radios that the man has just surrendered without incident to police,

new topics

top topics

join