It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im looking to buy a telescope, please help!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Have a Celestron 5" (127 mm) Schmidt-Cassegrain. Lovely!
Highly recommend it (or larger) if it fits your wallet.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
www.skywatcherusa.com...

Is the telescope im looking at
However i really dont know what I am looking at
I just recently wanted to get one and that was the first result from google
I am looking for something with auto tracking

Can anyone help me out with this? Or know of a better deal the main thing is the auto tracking. Would look for something I can hook up to a computer if thats out

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I would suggest the Celestron NexStar 114
awesome ...you put in the cooordinates or messier number and it goes right to it.
My dad had one of these ...nice.
I think they also have an option that you can put it outside and connect it to your computer inside...great since the nicest observation nights are usually freezing.

* Computerized hand control with 4,000-object database
* SkyAlign allows you to align on any three bright celestial objects
* Motorized Altazimuth mount
* f9 focal ratio
* 1000mm focal length

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
by the way ..the nexstar is a Newtonian telescope.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If you can fork up an extra few quid, I would recommend the 6" reflector - Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2 . It's £230, and amazing bang for your buck. I have one, and I can't recommend it enough.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by justine093

I would suggest the Celestron NexStar 114
awesome ...you put in the cooordinates or messier number and it goes right to it.
My dad had one of these ...nice.
I think they also have an option that you can put it outside and connect it to your computer inside...great since the nicest observation nights are usually freezing.

* Computerized hand control with 4,000-object database
* SkyAlign allows you to align on any three bright celestial objects
* Motorized Altazimuth mount
* f9 focal ratio
* 1000mm focal length

What you pay for in a GoTo scope, you are really losing out in image quality. Why have a 4.5" when you can have a 6" for less. Besides, you'll never learn the sky by starting off with a GoTo.

The Nexstar 114 Gt is a decent scope, but there are seriously better alternatives out there for the same money.

Forget a goto. Focus more on better aperture.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyviewer

could you please guide me to these better ones for £150? I was gonna go for the celestron on my OP but if there is better for the same money then please let me know. Many thanks.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Sorry for the belated response - I'm assuming you are in Britain - If so, I'd suggest you get a Skywatcher Skyliner 150P.

www.firstlightoptics.com...

It has a 6 inch aperture, which is more than enough to get you started with astronomy. It's on a dobsonian mount, which is dead-easy to use and ensures that more funds are put into the optics which matters more at your price-range. Unless you plan on taking pictures, I would go with the above.

You'll be able to see the moon, mars, saturn and jupiter with it, along with many deep space objects.

I recently purchased the 8" version (200P), and it's amazing. Well built, so I can only assume that the 6" version is also great.

If you've any questions in particular, just drop me a line.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join