It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS have an Amber Alert Icon? Banner?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Recent news with a missing girl (7 years old) in Florida have made the headlines. What would it take to run a banner across the top of ATS to alert the thousands of us that visit this site?

The latest?

www.foxnews.com...

Thanks.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
As a parent of 3 children under 10, I fully support this

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Remixtup

Have a 6 year old myself. Hell, we could be the first that does it globally. Since there are people here from all over.

What happened to your avitar?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
warrenb made it. the real question is......what happened to warrenb

I see what u did thar

its been popping in & out apparently of its own accord

[edit on 10/21/2009 by Remixtup]

[edit on 10/21/2009 by Remixtup]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Remixtup

Lets put an amber alert out for warrenb.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I second that notion

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The Department of Justice's Office of Justice Programs has asked the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) to serve in a clearinghouse capacity for the AMBER Alert program and to aid in the dissemination of AMBER Alert information. Information on active AMBER Alerts is available on NCMEC's web site.

Link.

Those can be found here: Active AMBER Alerts

With respect to the present case:

The girl vanished on her mile-long walk home from school Monday in Orange Park, near Jacksonville.

A mile????

We have a 5 1/2 year old son we don't allow on a different floor of our home without adult supervision. I can't imagine letting him walk a mile home from school in a year from now.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thanks for the data.

Some neighborhoods are different. In this case, though, with 50 child-sex offenders within a 3 mile radius, no, I wouldn't have let the child alone for a second!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Orange Park...sadly it is possible that a gator got her.

I used to live a bit south and across the river in Switzerland on Tivoli.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Indeed.

Except it's not 50, but a whole lot more!

Here is the location of the school:

Link.

Here are the sex offender registrants in that zipcode:

Florida Sex Offenders in zip code 32073

No freakin' way would I let my child walk alone in that area.

:shk:

[edit on 21-10-2009 by loam]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This is something I have experience with...
I had Amber Alerts on my old web site... they took a lot of extra bandwidth and someone had to pay for that...me...the web banner alerts were very general too... as in a kidnapping that just occurred in NY didn't effect me here in the southwest...

there is however a better way,,, they now have a wireless alert system... you can have alerts for your area sent to your cell phone as a text message...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
This is something I have experience with...
I had Amber Alerts on my old web site... they took a lot of extra bandwidth and someone had to pay for that...me...the web banner alerts were very general too... as in a kidnapping that just occurred in NY didn't effect me here in the southwest...

there is however a better way,,, they now have a wireless alert system... you can have alerts for your area sent to your cell phone as a text message...

Exactly what I was thinking; Amber Alerts are only effective locally to the victim, or whenever the victim is presumed to be in the case of a long lasting kidnapping.

I just don't see how it would be effective.

On the other hand, ATS does have some money lying around probably, or could get some with ads, so maybe they will implement such a thing. If it saved one kid from being murdered, wouldn't it be worth it?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla
If it saved one kid from being murdered, wouldn't it be worth it?

Had to quote this.

Yes. Yes it would.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

To set the story straight, the child was not alone to start, but walking with her older sister, twin brother and several children that live in the same neighborhood. After an argument the child ran ahead of the rest of the children.
Also in the Orange Park/Jacksonville area due to budget constraints, if a child lives less than 2 miles (have heard from several it is now 3 miles)from the enrolled public school he/she must have other transportation to/from school. Several hundred bus stops were affected by this situation.

I agree, in this time and age i would not let my child walk to/from school, but would have transportation arranged if i could not do it myself. I get Amber Alerts sent to my email, I see someone else has posted the link. Especially since we have had several children in the North Florida area abducted/missing just this year.

UPDATE: a small child's remains have been found in a landfill near the Florida/Georgia border, awaiting identification and test before stating if this is the 7yo from Orange Park.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I think that's a great idea!
I've seen some of those banners on other sites, and they look good as well as being informative. When I see those, that's usually the first thing that catches my eye to read.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Actually, i think it would be a great idea to have Amber Alerts for dissapeared posters.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Amazing, how much does a school district get per child again? I believe it is in the neighborhood of $10k per child. Let's see, 10k x 22 = 220,000 per teacher. And the schools cannot even pick and drop off the children?

We need to institute immediately school choice. I am going off topic, but my god, our children our the most important thing in our country. They need to be our first priority. Do not even get me going on those dots on that map. If it was up to me, they would be dots on the map, all in a nice circle located in a grave site.

As for amber alert for members, I am sure a little googling may find traces of them. WINK WINK.

As for an Amber Alert here, hell yeah. One child saved is one child saved.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'm afraid I'm with Jean-Luc on this.

There are plenty of good causes out there but with ATS current business model, ads are needed to keep the site going.

Besides, do we really need to make the site even more American-centric? (as Amber alert seems to be)

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Did she not have a cell phone or a gps system attached to her ? If she had a cell phone, they obviously most likely would have the last know fix via triangulation.

Some technology is meant for a purpose, then at a later stage you can do away with it.

But i agree with some form of amber alert flash revolving banner showing missing children and click through to the appropriate site. Remember, ever little bit of information helps.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join