It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist ads to adorn New York subway stations

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
LOL!

I say that all Religious, or lack there of, advertisement should be banned from public locations.

Anyone agree?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by Mike_A

I'm sure you and I could always find examples to the contrary.

I still stand by my conviction, however, that our whole society has it's rootsin religion. Take marriage. Sure, there are religious people who cheat on their spouses. But look at it from a broader perspective.

Marriage is a religious contract. It has it's roots in religion.

Does that mean then, that atheists don't believe in marriage? Do they just perform social contracts to co-habitate?

Yeah and look how society is going, lol

Religion as a moral compass is laughable- I will never understand people who can't think for themselves and have to be told what is cool and what isn't- especially adults

I think the ads provide balance though think they are maybe a waste of money- I mean does the average athiest need a place to go or a group to join?- I know I dont

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

That's not true at all. If Atheists were fine with other people praying then why would an Atheist head a court case to remove the Ten Commandments statue from a government venue that had been there for years? Van Orden vs. Perry, FYI.

If Atheists were okay with the display of all religions then why file court cases to the contrary?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
how come in India teaching religion in school is banned
but not in the here yet?

what's up with that?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I have studied philosophy in the university so maby I can say a few words here. First of all, our western societies are all based on the Bible. Human rights, tolerance, compassion for others... they all come from the Bible (this is what the atheist/agnostic professors taught me).

So atheism as way thought runs into trouble right away. It cannot survive on it's own. If no one teaches an atheist to be nice to others - where is he going to learn it from? If you take the Bible out (not that there hasnt been bad things done in the name of it too), in a few generations all the good we learned from it will be forgotten and we would be back to eating children at orgies like in ancient times.

I was and atheist until the age of 26. I was so proud. I thougt i knew it all. Even though I did not know anything about the facts or theories that supposetly supported this "faith". Because that's what it is.

No I'm 34. During these 8 years i have seen things that makes this "there is no God" just as logical to me as a "There is no sun" campaing would.

When I was an atheist, I was the most tolerant person in the world - I mocked others for being idiots for believing in such nonsense like Jesus.

Now I mock no ones belief. But if they come to tell me there is no God, they're too late. I've seen too much. Peace.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by DeCivitateDei]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeCivitateDei
If no one teaches an atheist to be nice to others - where is he going to learn it from?

You studied philosophy in Univ. and you can't answer that question?

If you take the Bible out (not that there hasnt been bad things done in the name of it too), in a few generations all the good we learned from it will be forgotten and we would be back to eating children at orgies like in ancient times.

Riiigghhhhtttt
Ummm
If religious people evolved from thinking the earth was flat and condemning science as witchcraft to today, then perhaps atheists will know how to evolve too.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I think the basic concept is the best thing since sliced bread. The Bible slapper leaders have had their run of the place until they get caught on hands and knees in a truck stop bathroom stall. Even th bible says there is good and evil in the world to balance things out.

God created Athieists so what's the damn problem with them advertising?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
how come in India teaching religion in school is banned
but not in the here yet?

what's up with that?

Do you have a link on that? I'm very surprised to hear this with the majority of the India population being either Hindu or Muslim.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If you take the Bible out (not that there hasnt been bad things done in the name of it too), in a few generations all the good we learned from it will be forgotten and we would be back to eating children at orgies like in ancient times.

Are you serious

I think you need to go back to uni, I dont think they taught you much the first time- actually scrap that sounds like you just need a little bit more life experience.

Even though I did not know anything about the facts or theories that supposetly supported this "faith

There is no 'faith' required in not believing in god- where are you getting this stuff, lol

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Do you have a link on that? I'm very surprised to hear this with the majority of the India population being either Hindu or Muslim.

India is the most secular country on the planet
Majority of India is hindu though, by a landslide
but because it's so secular teaching religion in school has been banned.

India in hindi is Hindustan by the way
stan pronounced staan means land
so land of hindus

No I don't have a link sorry
but it is true

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I have studied philosophy in the university so maby I can say a few words here. First of all, our western societies are all based on the Bible. Human rights, tolerance, compassion for others... they all come from the Bible (this is what the atheist/agnostic professors taught me).

I'm with you so far ...

So atheism as way thought runs into trouble right away. It cannot survive on it's own. If no one teaches an atheist to be nice to others - where is he going to learn it from? If you take the Bible out (not that there hasnt been bad things done in the name of it too), in a few generations all the good we learned from it will be forgotten and we would be back to eating children at orgies like in ancient times.

So, how is it that they don't "eat children at orgies" in parts of the world where no one believes in the bible? Maybe it is a matter of taste?

I was and (or an) atheist until the age of 26. I was so proud. I thougt i knew it all. Even though I did not know anything about the facts or theories that supposetly supported this "faith". Because that's what it is.

No I'm 34. During these 8 years i have seen things that makes this "there is no God" just as logical to me as a "There is no sun" campaing would.

When I was an atheist, I was the most tolerant person in the world - I mocked others for being idiots for believing in such nonsense like Jesus.

The "most tolerant person in the world" mocking people for having different beliefs????

Now I mock no ones belief. But if they come to tell me there is no God, they're too late. I've seen too much. Peace.

Peace. Alas, they don't teach spelling any more - before a person gets to the university.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
LOL!

I say that all Religious, or lack there of, advertisement should be banned from public locations.

Anyone agree?

Nope. Anyone who believes in Freedom of Speech could not agree. I think it is our most valuable freedom.

I've personally never had a poster of any kind jump off a wall and harm me in any way. Posters are like the channels I don't watch on cable. If I don't like one I move on to another. It would never occur to me to demand that only channels I approve of be allowed on cable. Same applies here I'd think.

I'll never understand people so angry and full of themselves they want to limit speech to only the things they agree with. Freedom should not be messed with to placate some person not of reasonable sensitivities with an axe to grind.

If you control religious speech, what next? Political speech? Opinion? The Internet? Perhaps the speech on this thread should not be allowed if it upsets somebody?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

That's not true at all. If Atheists were fine with other people praying then why would an Atheist head a court case to remove the Ten Commandments statue from a government venue that had been there for years? Van Orden vs. Perry, FYI.

If Atheists were okay with the display of all religions then why file court cases to the contrary?

it's on public land that ALL people pay taxes for upkeep...plus, by having on courthouse grounds, the court is implying that those laws are supported by the court, no matter if you believe in those laws or not. i don't believe in the ten commandments and i don't want a judge deciding my fate based on those ten commandments, and that is what is implied by it being prominantly displayed. i want to be judged by critical thinking, logical, reasonable, people...not by a mythical beings writings from 2000 years ago.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Faith :

confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.

belief that is not based on proof

For atheists, that THING is the absense of God, and since he cannot be disproven, it is in fact not based on proof. Atheists and Christians alike are religious in some form. Chrsitians have faith in a God and atheists have faith in the absence of a God.

Rather simple, and you can argue all you like over that, but it is the way I see it. Now, I am a Christian and wouldn't complain to my religions advertising being put up...so I have no right to complain at another religions advertising being put up.

Anyone swayed by an advert did not truly believe in God anyway...

Free will...

[edit on 21-10-2009 by StevenDye]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye

Faith :

confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.

belief that is not based on proof

For atheists, that THING is the absense of God, and since he cannot be disproven, it is in fact not based on proof. Atheists and Christians alike are religious in some form. Chrsitians have faith in a God and atheists have faith in the absence of a God.

Rather simple, and you can argue all you like over that, but it is the way I see it. Now, I am a Christian and wouldn't complain to my religions advertising being put up...so I have no right to complain at another religions advertising being put up.

Anyone swayed by an advert did not truly believe in God anyway...

Free will...

[edit on 21-10-2009 by StevenDye]

no...christians have faith in the IDEA of a god, you speak as if god is real, and there is no proof of any kind, anywhere, that any human can bring forth. you have faith in the IDEA, not in an actual person or thing.
atheists don't have faith in god, but the IDEA of a god, atheists know is certainly true, because there is evidence of that IDEA, and that IDEA come from people that believe that there is a god. but the IDEA does not make it real. in other words, god is real ONLY in the thought processes of the mind.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

And do you know how that monument got there to begin with? It was part of a promotional campaign by the Cecil B Demille movie "The 10 Commandments".

It's hardly sacrosanct.

The national project of placing Ten Commandments in stone monuments was conceived in 1955 when Cecil Demille was in Israel filming the Ten Commandments Movie. Cecil Demille thought it would be a good idea to place the Ten Commandments in permanent markers across the United States. He called Judge E.J. Ruegemer, who was famous for placing Ten Commandments plaques in public places across the United States. Judge Ruegemer, working with the Fraternal Order of Eagles, had placed over 25,000 Ten Commandments plaques in courthouses, city halls, and where ever anyone would allow the Ten Commandments to be posted. Judge Ruegemer was honored in August 1952, as he gave a copy of the Ten Commandments to President Harry Truman

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
What I find incredible is the shallowness and dishonesty of people from both sides who pretend some words on a wall or plaque could harm them. It is even more unseemly that a Judge would ever agree.

Freedom of Speech is on a slippery slope these days along with Freedom of the Press.

I will never believe a claim that say the Ten Commandments on a wall in any way harms anyone. They don't harm anyone of course and it is a lie told by people who clearly want to control other people or are so insecure they do it for attention.

A movie poster with gore or inappropriate dress bothers nobody and yet a few words and people go into a rage and lie and pretend it harms them. There is the real conspiracy in this.

[edit on 10/21/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Whoa... where did I ever do that to you or even condone it?
Advertising is just psychological warfare perfected. These 'Christians' are usually just self-promoting or their new book about God or whatever. Or join their church and give to the collection plate!

You proved my first post perfectly: fight fire with fire? what happened to the days when atheists were humble and simply not want to be bother? Now its a matter of petty revenge and turning a non-belief into more of an ideology!!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
*sighs* Why oh why does soo many individuals feel the need to badger everyone else into joining them? This world would be a far better place if everyone minded their own crap and let everyone else do the same.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
reply to post by Sundancer

What is so wrong with them putting up a few signs? Christians have their stuff everywhere including the court of law.
Exactly...maybe now you Christians will understand why it annoys us...feel what we feel...you get so riled up over some posters...your just lucky we haven't burnt all your churches to ground by now...

[edit on 21/10/09 by CHA0S]

Get a grip. You sound like you've been persecuted day in and day out by a band of evangelists. And the pope is kicking your door down to shove the communion cracker down your throat. Quite frankly you sound delusional.

your just lucky we haven't burnt all your churches to ground by now...

Wow, are you ****ing serious?! If you are what represents atheism, then it must be worse than I thought. A name like CHA0S certainly befits you.

clown...

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Centurionx]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join