It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist ads to adorn New York subway stations

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
I think a lot of people with religion don't actually know what to think, that's why they follow (blindly).

*sigh*
There are extreme's on both sides of the argument.
Your argument would make a great new york subway advertisement of that

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

yes...when the sun was out...they saw their crops grow for the food they ate, when the seas were calm, they were able to go out and fish for food they ate. that is a far cry from what your interpretation of religion is.
the Sun and the Sea had nothing to do with morality, it had to deal with being pleased that the Sun and Sea fed them.

They believe in something bigger than themselves. The Sun, and the Sea. They worship. Not the same as regular religion, but your example kind of proves Mike's theory. They had absolutely not outside influence, yet they chose to look for a reason to give thanks.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I never interpreted what religion was. Religion is just a belief. It can be any belief.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The same kind of advertising campain was done in london a year or so ago. with adds on the tube and on the sides of buses. Its curious these people call them selves the Big Apple Coalition( i know you call NY the BA] but did not one bad snake tempt Eve with a big juicy apple.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter
Good that all this propaganda is up!
Now there should be no problems when the christians post their ads!
Good'O
God Bless America - We Need it.

Goddess....... Goddess Bless America

We Need it.

We really just "need" a whole you know what more tolerance for others in this world. Tolerance for those who, well are not just like we are in every way. Religion tries to force everyone to be the same. Really I feel like organized religion is just harmful, personal spirituality can be a great thing.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by Mike_A

I'm sure you and I could always find examples to the contrary.

I still stand by my conviction, however, that our whole society has it's rootsin religion. Take marriage. Sure, there are religious people who cheat on their spouses. But look at it from a broader perspective.

Marriage is a religious contract. It has it's roots in religion.

Does that mean then, that atheists don't believe in marriage? Do they just perform social contracts to co-habitate?

Actually marriage does not have it's roots in religion, it has it's roots in "contracts", meaning a business arrangement for the financial benefit of the families involved.

google marriage history of

lot's of good information.

Originally posted by jimmyx

reply to post by jimmyx

Societies have had issues with the tenets of religious beliefs, not religion as a whole.

You're ignoring the fact that religion had an impact in societal development and are just focusing on the detrimental impacts that certain religious sects have had on society.

by the way..can you name one religion that has at one time of another NOT punished it's people with death, because of the people NOT following religous laws

[edit on 21-10-2009 by jimmyx]

Paganism, in general, Wicca. Paganism has never tried to force others to believe as they do or condemn others for their beliefs. In general, has been a "harm none" religion as well as one of tolerance.

Harm None
Peace

[edit on 21-10-2009 by amazed] cause my fingers have a mind of their own today

[edit on 21-10-2009 by amazed]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

reply to post by ModernAcademia

My two cents?

Religion is a good thing. It provides a moral compass to our lives, our society.

The folks that want to deny religion, or espouse atheism, deny themselves a moral reference.

Their tenet (as it were) is ambiguous and has no basis in anything.

I'd have to agree here... the only problem is that most people who follow a religion follow a God outside of themselves...

Eventually people will wake up to Autotheism...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
My two cents, is that Atheists seem to be getting just as bad as the people they ridicule for being religious. (I'm not religious btw)

I even heard that atheists have "un-baptisms". Even going so far as to demand their baptism records be removed from the church they were baptized at. You might as well be acknowledging that the baptism itself holds merit.

Edit to add: I'm not saying they don't have the right to have these signs up. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter. I'd just roll my eyes and walk on just like I do the ads/billboards from the religious folks or any other advertisement I find a bit annoying.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
That really pisses me off

Not because its atheist
because it's advertising

Atheisms become like a product now they have to sell and promote... I have friends obsessed with richard dawkins and buy all his books, like its require reading for atheism or something, what happened to the days when atheists thought they were above others and didnt like tp push it on others, ironically or not?
Oh...almost how I see religion and the bible promoted every day...book stores...early morning TV...and every other imaginable way to advertise and promote...including COMING TO MY DOOR...almost how Christians are obsessed with a book like it's required reading for their religion? It pisses you off does it? How they try to force it on people...almost like brainwashing you with their atheist beliefs? Well now you know how I feel...

EDIT: I don't really agree with what they are doing either...and I'm not religious...but they obviously felt it was time to fight fire with fire...

[edit on 21/10/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I'm not really sure what you mean by moral compass. Do you mean the threat of burning in hell for all eternity if you're not moral? Are you suggesting that people would never have realized that killing others is unacceptable if weren't for religion and the fear of a firey torment?

Before the New Testament the only moral values given were "Thou shalt not kill" and so on, but then it was also put forth that you were to kill a woman who was found to not be a virgin on her wedding day.

Same with adultery. "Thou shall not commit adultery" unless your a man, you can have multiple wives and that's okay.

I don't believe in hell or heaven and I'm not going around stealing, killing, murdering, etc.

Religious people give themselves loopholes as far as morality goes so that they can punish those who do not do or act as they wish. I don't see that as following a moral compass. I see that as bending morality to your whim in order to commit amoral acts so you can punish people for going against your beliefs.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Anyone who is offended by it, should go away.

If we all burn in hell, so be it.

But can we not live peacefully upon the earth?

Well, it might be a lot easier to "live peacefully upon the earth" if this group (and others) would quit trying to use advertising to try and force others into their way of thinking or believing. I mean, who goes to a religious service (or quits going) because they saw an ad in the subway?

What a concept! If no one knows what religion the next person is, they can't act on any prejudice.

You want to be an athiest, fine, be one. Don't waste your time telling me about it. Same goes for all the other religions and philosophies. It's just as much my personal choice as it is yours and I'm ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that no one has given any of them "the real truth".

[edit on 10/21/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I agree and tried to say this in my first post but it came out all wrong. Some people just HAVE to let you know what their beliefs are when you first meet them as if that is what primarily defines them. And if you're not of the same belief you are automatically put into the position of wondering if you're going to be asked what your beliefs are and if that person will judge you by them.

I'm aware that conversations about beliefs do come up. I don't have a problem with that and it's actually helped me to understand why some people believe what they do a lot better and I respect those beliefs. It's when they tell me I'm wrong that I take issue.

I have a friend who is Jehovah's witness and we have great conversations. There's never ridicule because we both respect each others beliefs and have an understanding that we are fully entitled to them.

Then my boyfriend was riding the bus and started some small talk with a fellow passenger. This person immediately asked if he believed in God, and he said no, and the person left a pocket Book of Mormon with him as if to say that my boyfriend was wrong and he should look into being Mormon instead of just trying to get a better understanding of why my boyfriend believes what he does.

So I think that knowing other's beliefs can be healthy in that it helps us to understand each other better. But to act better than someone or suggest their doing things wrong is unhealthy IMO and is what leads to many of the problems we have today.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

You know, you make a really good point. It doesn't make sense really. Why would an atheist be bothered by someone for believing in God? Like you said, I can understand the motives for a religious person trying to convert you, but not an atheist.

The only thing I can think of is that they are just being vindictive in a way. Like they are tired of people telling them they are evil and going to hell and they are some sort of problem (you know, cuz 9/11 and Katrina happened because of the gays and atheists) and are striking back in some way.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
What is so wrong with them putting up a few signs? Christians have their stuff everywhere including the court of law.

Most atheists ware taught morals by their parents, not a church and that's the way it should be.

For example you have lots of little church going Christian girls sneaking out, sleeping around and getting pregnant (Sarah Palin's daughter) while the little girl raised atheist is at home with her parents that taught her morals.

Over half of teen pregnancies end in abortion and since this is a Christian nation, that's a lot of little Christian girls getting knocked up and sneaking out for abortions. If that's an example of how well the church teaches morals, it's no wonder more people are turning to atheism.

Most atheists I've met seem to be pretty grounded in reality in believing it's their job to teach children right from wrong?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I understand the freedom to post this information, I just don't get the motive. What, in your opinion is the motive to attempt to convert someone from religion to atheism?

I don't think it's a direct attempt at conversion more perhaps an attempt to ask the individual why they believe what they do, I could be wrong it's not my add.

You may or may not appreciate the sentiment of this video, it is past time we let our children grow up to make their own decisions the atheist questions are b ut a pointer to other options for them.

Instruction Manual For Life

[edit on 21-10-2009 by moocowman]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

What is so wrong with them putting up a few signs? Christians have their stuff everywhere including the court of law.
Exactly...maybe now you Christians will understand why it annoys us...feel what we feel...you get so riled up over some posters...your just lucky we haven't burnt all your churches to ground by now...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It won't mean a hill of beans to me or I'm sure 99% of the New Yorkers who take the subway every day and don't really pay attention to the signs around unless it's an official notice of a detour/closure/delay.

They paid their money, they are entitles to run the ads, that simple...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
You know, you make a really good point. It doesn't make sense really. Why would an atheist be bothered by someone for believing in God? Like you said, I can understand the motives for a religious person trying to convert you, but not an atheist.

Tax free churches?
Bible Belt residents being the worst voters in the U.S.
Dumdbing down of the public
Not wanting to live in a society that believes in the boogeyman anymore

You seem to be only focusing on people, and not how religion affects society.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
reply to post by Sundancer

Exactly...maybe now you Christians will understand why it annoys us...feel what we feel...you get so riled up over some posters...your just lucky we haven't burnt all your churches to ground by now...

woa! slow down there slick. no need for all that. try decaf.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

I do agree with you on the letting children make up their own minds. I am not sure how the outcome will be, but I have taken that approach with my kids, and have quite a diverse little crowd. My daughter flip flops between agnostic and skeptical believer. I never forced them to go to church and only gave them my opinion on religion when they asked. I do enforce the do unto others think quite vehemently. My son goes to church on his own with his friends. He likes the structure and fellowship. We have some of the weirdest discussions at the dinner table. But the are always thought provoking. I hope my daughter will come to believe at least that a higher power exists, but I know whatever she decides, it will be her decision, and her true belief. I am just not sure that is the right way to go. They lost the damn manual.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join