It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist ads to adorn New York subway stations

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by jimmyx

We can discuss population densities for ever. But society, civilization has it's roots in religion.

Even if it were just to provide a stable environment in order to fight an opposing faith.

Your religion may serve you.

Just remeber that in order for you to have belief in that, you can thank language, communication, and the "others" for that thought. that one line.

Language was used to communicate down lineages. Oral histories didn't contain enough depth to convey the past. Religion provided the standard, the norm, so that others could communicate.

wow...really....i'm sure you'll get lots of disagreement from 99.9% of anthropoligists, and archeologists.
you have it the exact opposite...once societies and communites were formed...you had people that wanted explanations for things they did not understand at that time. religion filled that void, with easy to understand answers. and the people that gave those answers realized the power they had, without beating someone over the head with a club.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

You know, I suppose you are right! I just wrote quickly thinking 'you can not comprehend God let alone what is right in front of you at this ages' so you must be atheist. I suppose it is really about possibility not capability.

But you are right because we are born not *disbelieving* in a god or *believing*, but simply, not thinking about it!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

But societies developed as a result of those beliefs.

Deny the impact of religion all you want. But you won't be able to make it go away just by closing your ears and going, "LALALALALALALALA."

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

How did those people who never spent a day in church learn morality?

By others.

Now how did they learn?

By others before them.

How did they learn?

By others prior to them.

ad infinitum.

as recently as in the 1980's, they found whole tribes of indigenous people in remote locations that never did have a religion, but they thrived and prospered and had a code of morality all their own. and most of them were very amicable and decent people. they had a "witch doctor" (crude english phrase) that had some basic scentific knowledge of herbal and mineral remedies for the sick, but strict living under the dictates of an almighty god were not found, unless you count worshipping the Sun and the Sea as a religion.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
As long as nobody comes up with a "Merry Christmas" campaign, what's the bother?

Isn't no religion a religion too?

I would consider atheist a religion on some parts, but as myself, i don't believe in anything, actually to put it better. I don't know what to believe in which leaves me with one train of thought.

I'm just a human, i rather not label myself as anything else!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

A witch doctor but no religion.

Belief in the sun, but no religion.

You just proved my point.

Religion, by definition, doesn't just mean a belief in a christian god.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

But societies developed as a result of those beliefs.

Deny the impact of religion all you want. But you won't be able to make it go away just by closing your ears and going, "LALALALALALALALA."

societies developed IN SPITE of religous beliefs....if you believe what you said above, muslim societies would be leaders in the modern world, but their religous beliefs have held them back for 1500 years.
and in christian countries, if the enlightenment HAD NOT happened after the dark ages, we would be in the same boat.
you might want to look up "the dark ages" and see how religion stopped mankind from developing into the modern world. and it took a few hundred years to get past that religous nonsense.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Societies have had issues with the tenets of religious beliefs, not religion as a whole.

You're ignoring the fact that religion had an impact in societal development and are just focusing on the detrimental impacts that certain religious sects have had on society.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

A witch doctor but no religion.

Belief in the sun, but no religion.

You just proved my point.

Religion, by definition, doesn't just mean a belief in a christian god.

yes...when the sun was out...they saw their crops grow for the food they ate, when the seas were calm, they were able to go out and fish for food they ate. that is a far cry from what your interpretation of religion is.
the Sun and the Sea had nothing to do with morality, it had to deal with being pleased that the Sun and Sea fed them.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

If you believe so then anything and everything is a religion
and I don't agree on that

Atheism is a religion in itself. One definition of a religion is 'a set of guidelines on how a group believes that also seek to encourage others to believe likewise'. But how is that different from being a Republican?

Buddhism is considered a religion even though it doesn't worship the same Christian God.

* Does Atheism have its own movements? Yes.
* Does Atheism have its own rules/guidelines that you must agree with before being able to call yourself an 'Atheist'? Yes.
* Does Atheism try to promote itself upon others? Yes.
* Does Atheism base itself in the answering the question of answering to a higher power? Yes.

Atheism is a religion.

I would have no problem with them plastering their posters everywhere as long as Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. have that same right to do so.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

Societies have had issues with the tenets of religious beliefs, not religion as a whole.

You're ignoring the fact that religion had an impact in societal development and are just focusing on the detrimental impacts that certain religious sects have had on society.

i'm ignoring it's impact, because the impact itself is already commonly known. the way in which man has used religion to control others, rather than man himself relying on his own critical thinking skills, logic, reason, and science, has been detrimental to human advancement. and...with the simple phrase "do onto others as you would do onto them" as THE moral compass of his life.
no churches needed, no praying, no dictatorial religous laws, and no priest, rabbi, mullah, or religous preacher imposing force on those that do not comply, with a mythical beings words.
by the way..can you name one religion that has at one time of another NOT punished it's people with death, because of the people NOT following religous laws

[edit on 21-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

in a world with no religion - we'd just find other things to fight over.

There was a great south park episode a while back that covered this idea. Scoff at south park all you want...it actually touched on it quite nicely.

It was the episode where Cartman froze himself so he didnt have to endure the wait for the release of Nintendo Wii.

You can watch it for free (and it's LEGAL!) by clicking Here

It's a two part episode...so you gotta watch both to get the entire message.

But to say "a world without religion is a better world" is to give your argument a one sided "no thought attached" approach.

I have no qualm with them advertising atheism. Whatever floats your boat.

Stay outa my business, and i'll stay out of yours.
Thats how i feel.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Absolutely not!

Religion is the following of a certain belief pertaining to a god or gods.

No religion is not. No religion leaves the mind open to more than limited possibilities. These ads are yet another (subtle) way of helping people realise this.

No damning, no punishment, no unproven false facts......just options for the more open minded.

Good luck New Yorkers.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

What does marriage being a religious contract (it’s not, for many it’s civil and almost every culture, regardless of religion, has some form for marriage) have to do with having a moral compass? Unless you think it’s moral to get married which isn’t universally reflected even in Christian countries.

What evidence is there to suggest that the lack of religion means the lack of a sense of morality?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

If you believe so then anything and everything is a religion
and I don't agree on that

Atheism is a religion in itself. One definition of a religion is 'a set of guidelines on how a group believes that also seek to encourage others to believe likewise'. But how is that different from being a Republican?

Buddhism is considered a religion even though it doesn't worship the same Christian God.

* Does Atheism have its own movements? Yes.
* Does Atheism have its own rules/guidelines that you must agree with before being able to call yourself an 'Atheist'? Yes.
* Does Atheism try to promote itself upon others? Yes.
* Does Atheism base itself in the answering the question of answering to a higher power? Yes.

Atheism is a religion.

I would have no problem with them plastering their posters everywhere as long as Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. have that same right to do so.

you need a dictionary. atheism does not promote itself, the only thing it promotes is for every person to have the freedom to decide how they will morally live their lives, and not have others to make that decision for them. there are no atheists churches, no atheists prayers, no atheists edicts or laws, handed down by a mythical being to live by. thus, there is no atheists religion.
if i choose NOT to pray, atheists are fine with that.
if i choose TO pray, atheists are fine with that
if a religous person says THAT I AM REQUIRED TO PRAY OR ELSE, atheists HAVE a problem with that.
I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Atheism is a religion in itself. One definition of a religion is 'a set of guidelines on how a group believes that also seek to encourage others to believe likewise'.

Stop trying to redefine atheists, we hear this all too often on these boards.

Atheists don't have churches and don't do door-to-door like religous people do. We need little conformation of our beliefs from others to make us feel secure unlike believers, and bar a FEW obsessive non-believers we don't need the security of others in the form of a group to know that what we believe is a truth.

And we certainly don't threaten others with the fear of punishment if we don't think like the religious believers.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Atheism is a religion in itself. One definition of a religion is 'a set of guidelines on how a group believes that also seek to encourage others to believe likewise'.

And we certainly don't threaten others with the fear of punishment if we don't think like the religious believers.

and just because SOME people who have religion HAVE said "you'll go to hell if you don't pray" doesn't mean that all people with religion think the same thing.

You are complaining about being over-simplified for what you believe (or...don't believe?) but then you turn around and do the same thing to other people.

Same suit, different tie.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I can't say I'm disappointed.

Religion may have helped... yes, helped bring us the "moral compass" we have today. But in the absence of religion, other laws would have been created that teach us not to kill, steal, and so on. But, saying that religion is still needed to teach people right from wrong is like saying we still need religion to explain why the sun rises and sets.

We don't. We have better ways of doing things now. For one thing, not all things that religion adds to our morals are good. "Repent and you will be forgiven" is an example. I'm sorry, but your misdeeds do not vanish because you woke up one day and said "Sorry J.C., my bad. We cool?"

I believe people should be free to choose their own beliefs, but I hope for the sake of mankind people start making smarter choices soon. Things are completely out of hand when simply believing in science over mythology can instantly make you an outcast from society.

Imagine if every priest in the world had grown up studying alternative energy. Imagine if every nun were a microbiologist. Or if every minister was out trying to find a way to produce more food. But they aren't, are they? Instead of reading the latest scientific journals, they're preaching the archaic beliefs of a 2,000 year old book from the rooftops.

Religion may have gotten us to a point, but at one time the same thing could be said about horse drawn carriages. Now, it's obsolete. There are better, newer answers and the old answers can only hold us back.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Mankind always finds different reasons to envy, and even hate others, or for fight simple survival. Wars do, and will come up without religion being involved.

Whether it is to fight for land, resources, or because someone envies the wife another man has, or even just to defend your people because of aggressors, there will most certainly always be wars.

Yes, because religions there have been many wars fought, but if religion didn't exist there would be other reasons to fight wars.

Those who keep trying to blame religion, are almost the same as those who keep blaming guns for the deaths of people...

Even if people are left with stick, and stones, there will always be wars for one reason or another.

It is simply a matter of survival. It is the same as the law of the jungle.

For example, a lot of people love John Lenon for his naive view of the world "without religion," claiming everyone would be equal and in peace, yet look at China, look at Cuba, where religion have been banned and or controlled very tightly, yet from these countries there is a lot of suffering, as well as death even without religion, because the form of govenrment/economic policy tries to transform every human into a robot, and we are not robots.

When mankind has no need for resources, such as food, water, resources to make clothing, and when there is no need to have a roof above your head, etc, only then will all people live in peace, not needing anything, and that time only comes after death.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
and just because SOME people who have religion HAVE said "you'll go to hell if you don't pray" doesn't mean that all people with religion think the same thing.

I think a lot of people with religion don't actually know what to think, that's why they follow (blindly).

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join