It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist ads to adorn New York subway stations

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Excuse me I just DID! I am just going to be repeating myself!
IDEOLOGY BLOODLUST PREJUDICE RACISM GREED

These are the CAUSE and then they say something like their god said ours was gay lets kill them! Greed is the most common. They say I want their land/possessions/resources/Im just plain jealous, so lets go to war. Sometimes that is enough to get troops movin. Other times they say no were happy and peaceful, so someone says something religious reason. Religion being close to their hearts they feel they have to uphold and go do it.

If you took the excuse out of the picture theres still war. Political sides would just manipulate it with a different excuse. WMD, terrorism, dictator, freedom, ring a bell? Or do you believe everyone fighting in iraq/afghanistan is on a crusade?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

So if you didn't have religion you'd be out killing people? Or do you have no religion and are in fact just posting here in between killings?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

you will be against it. you just won't know why until people who are starving in america start killing eachother and acting like a batch of evolved animals. this is the plan.

this is a very bad idea. very bad.

if people think that there is no god and that they are just a bunch of evolved animals, then they will be highly likely to kill one another just like animals do when they are hungry.

the elite who control the world know exactly what they are doing and are taking god away from us. it part of the plan to destroy america and then themselves provide the solutions after we put ourselves through hell.

there will be no working infrastructure for people who have no gold or silver. war is coming to american soil within 5 years.

so prepare yourselves or get out if you have the means too.

i hear ecuador is nice to live at and has plenty of food growers there.

get some land up in the andes mountains above the bug line.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A

So if you didn't have religion you'd be out killing people? Or do you have no religion and are in fact just posting here in between killings?

I haven't killed anyone in hours!!!

As for morality, lets take a look at fidelity in marriage, stealing to name two others. I just feel that our entire civilization has it's roots in religion. To deny it's impact on social welfare is foolish.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
If it's not the cause but the excuse then please give me ONE other example, just one, that would have been just as effective as religion to cause so much bloodshed.

Holocaust?

Taking any attribute and labeling it "inferior" then scapegoating those with said atribute?

Stalin and his slaughtering of millions of dissidents?

Mao and his slaughtering?

Pol Pot and his slaughtering?

Religion is absolutely just an excuse for bad behavior. What's the last war fought over religion? Crusades? They had as much to do with money and power as anything else. Currently with Iraq and Afghanistan you could remove religion completely and the towers still would have some down and people would still be blowing themselves up over foreign interference and occupation. All religion is to the current war(s) is an excuse and a recruiting tool. Certainly not the cause and the absence of would certainly not end it.

The money makers and war mongers want you to waste your time harping on religion. It makes it easier for them to use it as a recruiting tool. By being militantly against it you're justifying it to the believers. Emboldening them.

Institutionalized religion as an excuse and motivator needs institutionalized anti-religion to grow. Like the Whitehouse waging "war" on FOX News. You think the FOX News audience is going to say "gee, maybe I shouldnt get my news from FOX" or are they going to say "holy crap, FOX was right all along and they must be closer to the truth than ever!!" ?

Why people waste their time either way is beyond me. It it makes you feel good keep at it. It's not like religion or the lack of will affect my life either way.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
religion has been perverted and abused over the years by the greedy and used for a control mechanism. The true meaning is so far hidden behind people trying to convince everyone that they are the only true religion and all others are false. There is were you get wars and the rest of the crap. Remember, these are the stupid people who drag religion into the gutter. To someone who tries to see God in everything, religion is beautiful. But I can see how an atheist would be created.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I have to wonder what motivates them.
Hate?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

See how atheists are created, you mean watching someone give birth?

Everyone is born atheist, and if you are not raised religious, you can only become through pondering and reflecting and learning.

Or like me you were raise religious and constantly changed your mind and screwed around a while with various religions/non-religion before settling on something that makes sense

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Good that all this propaganda is up!
Now there should be no problems when the christians post their ads!
Good'O
God Bless America - We Need it.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter
Good that all this propaganda is up!
Now there should be no problems when the christians post their ads!
Good'O
God Bless America - We Need it.

I understand the freedom to post this information, I just don't get the motive. What, in your opinion is the motive to attempt to convert someone from religion to atheism?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

everyone is born agnostic, not atheist. there is a difference. But I get what you are saying, and I agree with the second part of your post.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Let people be offended, that's the mark of a true free nation. If you don't have anyone being offended by anything there is something wrong.

I think it's a good idea. It raises some interesting discussions.

Every day people are bombarded with messages about religion, it's nice to see another opinion being expressed openly.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

"A million New Yorkers are good without God. Are you?"

argumentum ad populum = Logical Fallacy

"This type of argument is known by several names,[1] including appeal to the masses, appeal to belief, appeal to the majority, appeal to the people, argument by consensus, authority of the many, and bandwagon fallacy, and in Latin by the names argumentum ad populum ("appeal to the people"), argumentum ad numerum ("appeal to the number"), and consensus gentium ("agreement of the clans"). It is also the basis of a number of social phenomena, including communal reinforcement and the bandwagon effect, the spreading of various religious and anti-religious beliefs, and of the Chinese proverb "three men make a tiger".

Arumentum ad Populum

Ooops, forgive my spelling above: *ArGumentum

[edit on 21-10-2009 by NOTurTypical]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

As for morality, lets take a look at fidelity in marriage, stealing to name two others.

What about them? Your contention was that those without religion deny themselves a moral compass; are you suggesting that only religious people are faithful to their partners or refrain from stealing things they want? If so where’s your evidence?

What about those who are religious yet commit criminal acts, cheat on their partners, lie etc?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

My two cents?

Religion is a good thing. It provides a moral compass to our lives, our society.

The folks that want to deny religion, or espouse atheism, deny themselves a moral reference.

Their tenet (as it were) is ambiguous and has no basis in anything.

so thousands of years ago before religion came into being, how did people get along with each other enough to increase population by communal living arrangements, if it took religion to provide a moral compass? it took people already "moral" to realize that the continued killing of each other wasn't right, and setting up some basic ground rules for the tolerance of others was in everybodys best interest.
even apes display some rudimentary sense of morality in the way they form small communities. they accept "cranky members" to a certain point of annoyance, and even when that certain member get totally out of line, they will just chase him/her off, rather than kill them.
my "religion" is made up of one line..."do onto others, as you would have them do onto you"
no churches, no praying, no other rules of life, no eternal damnation after death. if we all lived by that simple sentence, this world would be a much better place.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I don't have a problem with Atheist adverts. As long as they alow other beliefs to be allowed do the same, thats only fair.

Tsom87

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Religion as a moral compass is a crock. Plenty of people who have never spent a minute in church treat others with respect and dignity everyday and plenty who spend every Sunday in one use it to excuse their inability to behave decently ex: "if god wants you to succeed you will succeed" so if you're a womanizing crack pusher apparently god wants you to be? I've spent plenty of time in those stomping and chanting baptists churches to know this to be true with a shockingly large segment of the population.

Anyone who needs any external force at all to show them how to behave should be tossed onto an island somewhere.

The only "moral compass" anyone should ever need is to ask yourself "how would you like to be treated?"

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

I'm sure you and I could always find examples to the contrary.

I still stand by my conviction, however, that our whole society has it's rootsin religion. Take marriage. Sure, there are religious people who cheat on their spouses. But look at it from a broader perspective.

Marriage is a religious contract. It has it's roots in religion.

Does that mean then, that atheists don't believe in marriage? Do they just perform social contracts to co-habitate?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

We can discuss population densities for ever. But society, civilization has it's roots in religion.

Even if it were just to provide a stable environment in order to fight an opposing faith.

Your religion may serve you.

Just remeber that in order for you to have belief in that, you can thank language, communication, and the "others" for that thought. that one line.

Language was used to communicate down lineages. Oral histories didn't contain enough depth to convey the past. Religion provided the standard, the norm, so that others could communicate.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

How did those people who never spent a day in church learn morality?

By others.

Now how did they learn?

By others before them.

How did they learn?

By others prior to them.

ad infinitum.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join