It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist ads to adorn New York subway stations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Atheist ads to adorn New York subway stations

www.cnn.com

Some New Yorkers may want to reconsider exclaiming "Thank God" when arriving at their destination subway station beginning next Monday.

Or at least that's what a coalition of eight atheist organizations are hoping, having purchased a month-long campaign that will place their posters in a dozen busy subway stations throughout Manhattan.

The advertisements ask the question, written simply over an image of a blue sky with wispy white clouds: "A million New Yorkers are good without God. Are yo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I'm not against this, but their campaign message pretty much sucks.

That's the best they could come up with?
That's not going to sway too many i'm sure.

It's not message that intelligent or thought-provoking.
I find it pretty crappy.

But religious people who will be offended by this, well the atheist could be equally offended by the god message.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Anyone offended by it needs to get a hobby. Anybody who has the money to blow on ads like this or thinks ads like this have any sort of value other than annoying the easily annoyed also need to get hobbies.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Anyone who is offended by it, should go away.

If we all burn in hell, so be it.

But can we not live peacefully upon the earth?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
As long as nobody comes up with a "Merry Christmas" campaign, what's the bother?

Isn't no religion a religion too?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
Isn't no religion a religion too?

If you believe so then anything and everything is a religion
and I don't agree on that

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
That really pisses me off

Not because its atheist
because it's advertising

Atheisms become like a product now they have to sell and promote... I have friends obsessed with richard dawkins and buy all his books, like its require reading for atheism or something, what happened to the days when atheists thought they were above others and didnt like tp push it on others, ironically or not?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
That really pisses me off

Not because its atheist
because it's advertising

Atheisms become like a product now they have to sell and promote... I have friends obsessed with richard dawkins and buy all his books, like its require reading for atheism or something, what happened to the days when atheists thought they were above others and didnt like tp push it on others, ironically or not?

Spot on with that post

There is money to be made if theres an advertisement.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I see no problem with it. I think the subtle approach is best too. I don't want religion thrust down my throat, believers knocking at my door trying to convert me, and so a subtle approach is needed as not to seem hypocritical.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yes. Atheism itself is really nothing more than a religion for non believers in religion. Stupidity in its purest form.

An ad against something they claim doesnt exist to begin with....to unite, support or encourage the 'secular' community?

The message really is:

"Don't be led by a God! Be influenced by we agenda driven mortals instead!"

Absolutely no difference than any other religion.

Brilliant.

There is a reason these idiots always end up drooling and begging whatever creator they didnt believe in (while young and healthy) for forgiveness on death beds...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.

The message really is:

"Don't be led by a God! Be influenced by we agenda driven mortals instead!"

Absolutely no difference than any other religion.

Erm your message is exactly the same as the message given by religious leaders. Do not follow "God" but follow all of the crap that we have made up and put conveniently in a book for you to follow to promote our political agenda. Even better, please remember to give us our 10% from your pay cheque.

The "atheist religion" is not yet asking for 10% at its churches ...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Haha you really should watch south park my friend
they got so ticked off everyone saying 'a world without religion would be peaceful' so they made the episode with the Atheist war between different factions... I really think it is true. People go to war over ideology and bloodlust and racism and prejudice and greed, religion is not the cause, its the excuse.

Personally I think atheism is just as stupid as belief, both are improvable and are based on something that can not be known. Psh dont listen to me I am just trying to convert you to agnostic for profit

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
ummmmm
sorry guys but not believing in an invisible judgemental person above the clouds who hates everyone who thinks differently than him is not a religion.

some choose islam, some hinduism, some christianity and some catholicism
choosing neutrality is not a religion people

I think you guys are too used to grouping people in a specific category

It can't be a religion if there is no devotion
it can't be a religion if every two atheists might have conflicting beliefs about the universe

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
i658.photobucket.com...

Good for them, they have every right to do it. The problem is that they always seem kind of pompous.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
People go to war over ideology and bloodlust and racism and prejudice and greed, religion is not the cause, its the excuse.

If it's not the cause but the excuse then please give me ONE other example, just one, that would have been just as effective as religion to cause so much bloodshed.

You cannot give me such an example, therefore it is the cause.
religion is the cause and it is NOT comparable to a gun.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.
Yes. Atheism itself is really nothing more than a religion for non believers in religion. Stupidity in its purest form.

With all due respect, sir, that is quite possibly the most uninformed thing I have ever heard

From Princeton.edu (wordnetweb.princeton.edu...

Religion
Noun
# S: (n) religion, faith, religious belief (a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny)
# S: (n) religion, faith, organized religion (an institution to express belief in a divine power)

Atheism
Noun
* S: (n) atheism, godlessness (the doctrine or belief that there is no God) * S: (n) atheism (a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods)

No supernatural belief = not a religion.

To clear up any thoughts that this post might be biased; I am neither religious nor atheist. My creed is simply "I don't know" - and any person who claims that they do know has a severe misunderstanding of the world around them and/or of their religion.

It is a god's prerogative to not be understood and it is a human's nature to misunderstand.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by memoir]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

My two cents?

Religion is a good thing. It provides a moral compass to our lives, our society.

The folks that want to deny religion, or espouse atheism, deny themselves a moral reference.

Their tenet (as it were) is ambiguous and has no basis in anything.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

If I could be so bold as to say that you need to examine yourself if you think that you aren't capable of knowing the difference between right and wrong without the use of an archaic book written by 'god' knows who.

lol @ a moral compass.

do you know how violent abrahamic religions are?
morality is the last thing I think about when I think of the top 3 religions.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I agree that there are extremists, and that religion, in the past, has provided more than enough bloodsport for the masses.

But morality has to have some sort of reference. Morals aren't ambiguous. They have to have a cornerstone from somewhere.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
while we all have the right to our own personal beliefs of lack of belief, what is it that the atheists are trying to prove? I understand why a Christian would want to convert someone. I mean a true Christian who was truly concerned about your mortal soul. They would be concerned about your afterlife. They have a reason for what they are doing. And before I get jumped on, I don't think anybody should try to shove any idea down your throat. But an atheist doesn't seem to have a reason, other than to not be alone with their thoughts. Is there something I am missing? Unless it is just for the money. And I don't get where there is money to be made other than books. Could someone please explain this to me?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join