It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News:£80m robbery foiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
More than 100 officers, including armed police, were involved on the swoop to stop the would-be raiders netting £40 million in gold and an estimated £30-£40 million in cash. Armed police were lying in wait for the gang as a white Transit van smashed into warehouse doors the gang rammed through the shutters of the Swissport cargo warehouse in a white Transit van at 10am yesterday.The gang threatened staff with at least one firearm, knives, cudgels, hockey sticks and lumps of wood one police officer was slightly hurt and none of the warehouse staff was injured in the operation.One of which one of those who escaped and is still on the run.
Flying Squad

The target was £40m pounds worth of gold bullion and between £30-40m in cash, stored at the Swissport Cargo Warehouse at Heathrow Airport.
Armed police were lying in wait for the gang as a white Transit van smashed into warehouse doors seven people have been arrested - one man who hijacked a vehicle is still on the run.

Just think what you colud do with £40 million pounds and the luxery leife style you can lead a lot of planning and preparation went in to this heist and if it was pulled off it would have gone down as one of the the greatest of robberies of all time.

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Makes me think of the reward that bin Laden offered recently for the death of coalition leaders/forces, to be paid out in GOLD.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
That would have put the £26m Brinks robbery to shame! I saw a documentary on that one just last week. Speaking practically, how would one begin to move, store, and dispose of that amount of gold and cash?

Congrats the the police and their intel.

Wow, £80,000,000 UK =
$141,411,048.93 US
1,631,066,311 Mexican Pesos
6,423,765,053.32 India Rupees

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Makes me think of the reward that bin Laden offered recently for the death of coalition leaders/forces, to be paid out in GOLD.

Yeah i know but over here robberies like this are a big deal in the criminal underworld in the uk like the Great
Train robbery -Ronnie Biggs/ Brinx Mat -Kenneth Noye which they could not pin it on him.There going to be lots of repercusions on this and if the guy who escaped most like willbe in the Costa Del Sol by now.

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by SE7EN]

top topics

join