It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Green or yellow Scopes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Used an aimpoint red dot in Iraq wasn't a fan of it latter upgraded to a Leupold Mark IV cq t which I loved. Was a yellow reticle. Was great for close quarters and also mid to long range as it also applied magnification. I even preferred it to the ACOG. It is costly around 800-900 tried to "loose" the one I had in Iraq but ended up having to turn it in. If I ever get the spare funds will defiantly be my purchase next.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
This is the scope/red dot sight you should look at. I've got one on my SKS paratrooper model. I've scored 10/10 hits on standard man silhouettes at 400+ yards with the scope at 6x but 1.5x is just dandy for snap shooting bunnies and jacks. Best of all, it's under $100 dollars.

www.leapers.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

Man that's exactly what I wanted to bad its to late I already got one. Returned because it quite working after 30 minutes then Got another of a different kind. another cheapey but I am not going to pay return shipping twice. But wate I have other guns. BONUS!!!!

You get a star from me from a stellar find.

I would like to add that ebay is a great place to find Cheap red/green dot scopes. keep in mind these are not great scopes but they are cheap enough to try it and see if you like it. Ive never used a scope on a shotty before so I wasn't sure about it. So far so good on the second one. wich came from a different ebay vendor.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by angryamerican]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
We could go all out:

www.opticsplanet.net...

You could outfit a 6 squads with Leapers scopes for the price of a single Zeiss!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
You could outfit a 6 squads with Leapers scopes for the price of a single Zeiss!

Holy smoke I could pay a lot of bills for the cost of that one scope. I am thinking that thing better be plated in gold. I cant see ware that scope deserves that cost. Ime happy with my cheepy! for now. Once I am more use to it I may upgrade to some thing a little better quality.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
If it's just a pure scope you're after, the classic Weaver K6 6x-38mm scope has the best quality glass you can get for under $200. It's a very popular scope with the Hunter Benchrest crowd who are about the nitpickiest group of shooters in the world. But some of them can keep 10 shots inside 0.10" at 200 yards and can hit 2 lb coffee cans at 600 yards or more with tiny 6mm BR cartridges that hold only 60% of the powder of a .308 Winchester.

I wouldn't choose any scope with more than 10x for a standard military cartridge, 6x is really enough magnification for even hot loaded .308 Winchester or .30-'06 out to 1000-1200 yards. Anything more than 10x and the heat monkeys aka mirage will make focusing on the target impossible. We get that at 50-55 yards in airgun field target much less 500 meters+ .

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Well now its number two cheap scope from Ebay gone down the tubes. with what I will have to spend on shiping alone I could have gone down to the local sporting good store and bought a good quality scope.

The second scope seemed good when bore sighting but but every time I would shoot it, it would creep up and to the right. after 5 rounds it was so far off that even with 7 1/2 shot it was a complete miss. I tried to re-zero and after two clicks each the elevation and windage knobs became very hard to turn. I got out a penny and gave the windage knob one more click and the knob broke right off leaving only two small screws. I turned the scope back on and took another shot to see if it had gotten any closer. after the shot the once small green dot looked like a comet. I grabbed my flash light looked down the scope from the front and the center element was broke right at the adjustment points. Keep in mind this scope had been first sighted in with a bore sighted and wasn't difficult to turn then. I'm no stranger to zereoing a scope and I have bought some cheapies before but nothing like this, and never again. now I save my money and buy quality.

On a side note I am in contact with the ebay seller about not paying shipping back to him on a obviously defective scope.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by angryamerican]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

I dont know where you live but here Cregslist is pretty popular ....
we also have a local web site to tade and buy firearms and acc... I like doing business with the local guys cause I can inspect it before handing over cash
So you can see how I search ad's for scopes
Our local group
You might want to talk to Jason about adding your city to his list of places... you might have to spread the word to get folks to place ad's but someones got to be first right???

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

AA, Is it the Leapers 1.5-6x with 30mm tube that's going bad? I've used one on spring piston airgun and it held up just fine till I put a Simmons airgun rated scope on it. That's the Leapers now sitting on my SKS. I've never had a problem with Leapers scope going bad.

If you're looking for the toughest cheap scopes around, look for the one that say 'airgun rated'. That means they've tested against spring-piston airguns which are absolutely brutal on scopes with their double snap recoil. Both Simmons and Bushnell make airgun rated scopes. Leupold will guarantee their scopes and sights for life.

As to Red/Green dot sights going bad, they are really meant for low recoiling pistols and shotguns and not the sharp recoil of high power cartridges like .308 Winchester. I wouldn't stick one one anything stronger than my SKS which has about half the kick of the .308.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

No the scope I got was really really cheap one from Ebay. UAG "CQB" DUAL RED GREEN DOT RIFLE SHOTGUN GUN SCOPE C1. I will not single out the vendor as I have no wish to hurt any body's business. I truly feel it was just a faulty scope to begin with. I am experienced enough to know better then to force it but we all have errors in judgment.

Even if the vendor doesn't make it right I am not out much money, just disappointed. Oh by the way the gun I have it on is a model 870 express magnum 20GA. I like my 22 and 410 better for small game but the eyes are to bad so I had to go bigger.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join