It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influence of Avatars and Images: are you affected?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I have a few avvies. And have included me in images and had images with no one in it, images like balloons over my home town

This one is relfective, I do relfect alot, and I also think all life and the universe reflect symmetry.

If I have wings in a avvie, its not because of an angel complex, rather wings relfect perfect symmetry to me.

That said, I don't care if I'm known because of my avvie.
Im just zazz of the frazz, read my post contributions, or bite me

[edit on 22-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

You seem like a student of psychology or a fan at the very least. I fall into the latter group and as such do spend quite a bit of time dissecting human actions gestures and moods.

I have seen quite a few Avatars and as much as i try to not judge the post based on whatever association i get from the Chosen pic in the Avatar, most often than not im not surprised by the post. People do choose certain pictures to represent themselves. Be it conscious or sub conscious. Either way we all want to have a symbol that represents us and out opinions. I thinks is human nature, Every body wants to have their individuality out on show i guess and whats wrong with that.

I must say this site is an absolute gold mine for anybody even remotely interested in the human psyche.

Oh and thanks for the compliment InfaRedMan. I always think SG1 when i see your Avatar, Yours is also well known around these parts

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Well the background is a picture I took at Yule time last year in Tivoli. It's a huge lighted carousel, but that doesn't show. I like how only part of it does.

My avatar is Rurutia and thus important to me.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I have often wondered if people who have an avatar that looks similar to this...

Actually look like this in real life...

It would not surprise me with a few as some people lack confidence in their appearance.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
All the big macho avatars and the sexy girls make me cringe. I think I've seen one avatar on this site that I like. It's a waterfall. I also don't mind the ones that are just photo's of the OP. Generally I find them facile and juvenile. Miserable wretch that I am.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pathos

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Consider the implications [and] possibilities for social and psychological manipulation... The possibilities are endless...

Before I start reading through your thread, I wanted to stop and address this one comment. I want to give you a new word, which may help in your searches. Its called 'conditioning'.

Look up 'Classical & Controlled Conditioning'. Symbolism is used to condition people into buying products, or to rally people under the banner of patriotism. Its everywhere and it does have an impact.

Think about advertising jingles. How much of an affect do you think they have?

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Pathos]

Hitler was huge into sybolism he put his symbols everywhere because he beleived it gave him occult power.

Talismans Mandalas Idols Hexes these are all different types of witchcraft, and all witchcraft is EVIL.

The Bible tells us to "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath , or that is in the water under th earth :". Many of those bibles actually have an image graven onto the front cover, but that does not change the fact that it is wrong.

I don't care what the image is, it is the medium that is bad not the content.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
A study on peoples ability to detect lies found that people where more able to spot a lie in print than either on the radio or television.

The experiment was done thusly.

A two candid video's were taken of a person, who was asked a question. In one they were instructed to lie, in the other tell the truth.

These videos were then presented to separate groups who in three forms Video, Audio, transcript. People were more able to identify lies in print, then audio, and lastly Television.

If you really want to have discernment and see through appearances, get rid of the influences of images on your mind.

God magnifies his word, The devil exalts imagination and images.

"I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name."

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I suggest a study of the book of revelation.

Word Vs Image (Revelations)

WORD
• Revelation 1:2
• Revelation 1:3
• Revelation 1:9
• Revelation 3:8
• Revelation 3:10
• Revelation 6:9
• Revelation 12:11
• Revelation 17:17
• Revelation 19:13
• Revelation 20:4
• Revelation 21:5
• Revelation 22:18
• Revelation 22:19

• Revelation 13:14
• Revelation 13:15
• Revelation 14:9
• Revelation 14:11
• Revelation 15:2
• Revelation 16:2
• Revelation 19:20
• Revelation 20:4

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I try not to read too much out of other peoples avatars..
I know mine doesnt meen much, but im sure others do!

That beeing said, there is alot of awesome avatars on ATS. Of all the forums ive been at, this has the most striking avatars^^

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I am perfectly fine with me, but sadly I must admit I am closer to the top one than the bottom one. I am not fat, I'm fluffy.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I threw my avatar together with the hope of making it unique and deeply thought provoking, perhaps even with hidden messages. Not sure what that says about me... Do you guys like it?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
Here is a last year's thread that might be of interest to many here.

Judge a book (or a member) by its cover

Absolutely fascinating to go back and read that thread and realize how people evolve, avatars and perspectives change and how your own opinion can change.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Someone's avatar gives me a peek into who they are. They might have a good sense of humor, and post something everyone will find funny. Or they might select one because of the art work, or appreciation for the piece, or a glimpse into which topics they find interesting.

That's about it, but it's a useful tool, and a step towards understanding a poster at times. Or otherwise being deliberately misled by a poster at times, which will eventually be known as the content of the posts will contradict the avatar too often.

Sometimes, they send a message, and I like figuring those out. Mine, for example, is simply advocating peace on our planet. John Q designed it for me and I think it expresses this desire I have in my heart. I also did find an image which is similar to my physical appearance.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by XXXN3O

I am perfectly fine with me, but sadly I must admit I am closer to the top one than the bottom one. I am not fat, I'm fluffy.

Now that could cause some confusion...

Joking of course

[edit on 22-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Just curious as to what anyone would think about mine.

Nothing to it really.
I was tooling around in photoshop while doing a commissioned artwork.
It became my artist logo and spawned the name reticledc.

The DC stands for design concepts.
Reticle Design Concepts.

It's on my calling cards as well.

I have another one that I have been considering using.
Should I Switch?

link

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I have not picked a avatar because I dont feel the need to have a online logo that people will recognize.

I feel its better if they judge my every post for what it contains instead of agreeing because they recognize me as a person and like my previous posts or whatever. Ive seen that happen a lot to other posters. They post something and get starred just because they are well known.

I prefer to be in the shades.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Are we reacting to the message that's being conveyed in that image and how influential is it to us as well as to those viewing it?

I guess the quick answer is yes. My experience is similar with the poster who noted that responses to posts vary greatly depending on one's avatar.

I have changed mine quite a few times (I have many distinct sides to my psyche) and have noticed this effect. It feels weird because I am the same guy, but obviously getting reacted to differently. I suppose it is the same phenomenon as when they put a svelt woman on the street to interview people and then give her a costume to appear much heavier and they get vastly different results.

Just as a side note, I find it really strange when someone who is male uses a female avatar/image, or visa versa. I've been taken aback more than once because I had made an incorrect assumption about a person's gender. I can't figure out why they would do that.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

WooHooo!

Mine breaks most of the rules!!!!

Do ya'll feel confused by my guile????

On a more serious note...

What are you intentionally or unintentionally conveying with your image?

I love reminding people how stunningly beautiful nature is... I'm not sure how any of my avatars are perceived, or what conclusions people draw from them about me, but it would be interesting to hear.

Did you choose your avatar based on attributes that reflect who you are?

Yes. Definitely.

Though the connections would not be obvious to anyone.

Is it possible that your avatar is influencing other peoples perceptions of your intelligence, your likability, your credibility and your personality?

Dunno. What say you all?

Are you using a particular avatar to convey a meaning?

Yes. Never forget the wonder of where you really are.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by loam]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
Just as a side note, I find it really strange when someone who is male uses a female avatar/image, or visa versa. I've been taken aback more than once because I had made an incorrect assumption about a person's gender. I can't figure out why they would do that.

That's an interesting observation, wayno. I'm not sure why you would think it strange, but I don't say that by way of criticism. We just see things differently I guess. As I mentioned in my own post a few pages back, my avatar is very important to me. She is in no way meant to represent this guy called Mike -- my real name btw -- and I have enough posts on ATS to make my gender and orientation pretty clear, so there is no attempt at deception on my part. (Not that your own statements imply that there might be in some cases. Just saying how it is in my own case.)

So why do I have a feminine avatar -- specifically this one? Because she's right for me, and she is the only avatar I have ever used on ATS. And as I said, in some ways, she chose me. I honestly can't explain it any better than that without going into a very long story and now is not the time for that.

As to why others have chosen avatars of the opposite gender -- well, they each have their own reasons and it doesn't really matter if we know or understand. In my view, we all have a male and female side, and it is not always the same one that holds sway... But ultimately, the reasons why are only of importance to those who make the choices -- and also, it can help to make things more interesting.

Best regards,

Mike

Edited for typose tpyos typos.

[edit on 22/10/09 by JustMike]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Mike - I love your image. There is so much going on there and on many different levels.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join