It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influence of Avatars and Images: are you affected?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Just curious what does my avatar say about me a lot of posts here conveying their own opinions on what their avatar means to them what does my avatar mean to you?/?

[edit on 21-10-2009 by XxthehoffxX]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by kinda kurious
So in a nutshell, if ATS is a highway, our Avatars are like "vanity plates" on our vehicle posts.

Odd that we subliminally strive to impress virtual strangers.

But are we?

It would seem that we aren't doing it for others (unless we have an agenda) but are actually choosing avatars for ourselves... some representation of our self, a piece of us that we are o.k. showing others...

[edit on 21-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

It will be interesting to get to the heart of it. It would seem we all picked something we liked for some reason, yet many may not subconsciously know why and others had a good clue when or why they picked it.

I’m curious if most react the same way to an unusual avatar.

I have heard others complain about avatars being disturbing. Ive also seen comments that state they enjoy looking at a particular avatar.

There are only a few that bother me. They arent unusual either. I dont know exactly what it is? I'm sure I'm not alone.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxthehoffxX
Just curious what does my avatar say about me a lot of posts here conveying their own opinions on what their avatar means to them what does my avatar mean to you?/?

Alrighty, since you asked.

- You were unable to comprehend the appropriate size guidelines for ATS avatars.

- You like to eat hot dogs on hamburger buns.

- Once you cut off your nose to spite your face and then took it to the next level.

- You have a constant need to be the center of attention.

- You once had a good head on our shoulders.

- You can juggle eggs.

Am I close? Did I win?

[edit on 21-10-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I will only give it a guess. Are you portraying a martyr?

The hands holding the severed head could mean a disconnection from the mind and the body. What does the symbol of the crown mean?

What do you think the avatar means to you? Yours is surely different.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Actually this is the reason I posted a picture of myself and use my real name in my signature. I want people to know who they're talking to. Good thread, Star and Flag.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I want to convey my personality too!!! I just dont know how

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I love mountain walking, its my latest passion hence the pic of me taking snaps on my last hike.

I dont judge people by what image they choose for an avatar, I personally find it slightly shallow.

Some make me laugh, some creep me out, some are beautiful and some make my eye's go GOOGLY etc but I dont relate that to the person behind it, afterall it is only an image.

I think an image can come across as maybe insulting or offensive but it's not a direct intended insult like if someone was to be blatantly rude in a response to someone's post.

Anyway, thats just my opinion of course.

Good Thread

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Beauty_HairyBeast]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Exceptionally thought provoking. it did not occur to me why I chose it until I read this thread. Mine is certainly masculine to the point of being threatening.

As a child of divorced parents who went from upper middle class to a tough mixed race neighborhood in grammer school, I quickly learned to project a certain level agressiveness out of fear.

It has stayed with me into my 40's though I live in an upper middle class neighborhood with a white collar job.
Upon my first encounter with a strange neighborhood (ATS) that may be threatening, I want agressors to choose a weaker target.
Funny cause all I really want is to like other people and be liked.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kick Flip
I want to convey my personality too!!! I just dont know how

Just follow the video directions. Cheers.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Actually this is the reason I posted a picture of myself and use my real name in my signature. I want people to know who they're talking to. Good thread, Star and Flag.

I was scared to join ATS a several months beforehand, so avoided putting my picture up.

I also wouldnt want some of the people I know to hear my views on a few things. I'd rather be somewhat discrete I guess.

It would also ruin my chances of running for President.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Psychotic killer who wants to cut the Popes head off? Pretty small and I don't have my glasses on.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I always wondered what people thought of my "enlightened dog saint" avatar... and I as well have an influence on what I see, especially as was mentioned, the gender-strength, and many other influences.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Hehehe. I don't care what people think or what action they choose to take against me for my opinions. In my non-ATS life I have friends of so many different political beliefs, religious persuasions, and economic status. I have homeless punk rocker friends, I have friends who work in government and law enforcement, military, and even intelligence. And they all equally hear my unfiltered opinions. The same mix of people can be found on ATS, and because of that I am not afraid, as I have always been willing to listen to the other side, admit when I'm wrong, and respectfully assert my position. No one is going to knock on my door, or some of the things I've said would have made it happen by now. I get angry sometimes....What can I say. The point is, I felt that if I were to express my opinion to a wide audience then I might as well make it my opinion by putting a face and a name behind it. I want to always be held to account for the things I say and do.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
Exceptionally thought provoking. it did not occur to me why I chose it until I read this thread. Mine is certainly masculine to the point of being threatening.

As a child of divorced parents who went from upper middle class to a tough mixed race neighborhood in grammer school, I quickly learned to project a certain level agressiveness out of fear.

It has stayed with me into my 40's though I live in an upper middle class neighborhood with a white collar job.
Upon my first encounter with a strange neighborhood (ATS) that may be threatening, I want agressors to choose a weaker target.
Funny cause all I really want is to like other people and be liked.

That is a good and sincere self analysis!

I have met people here on ATS who do not care to be liked and go out of their way to be disliked. I haven’t figured out why though.

Some strictly come here to start fights. We need more lke you.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I have had a few over the years.

The flag is just more of my being a wisenheimer than patriotic...well other than the abundance of anti-America thread (still) going on at the time.

The bad thing about threads like these it makes me realize that it is getting time for another one. And finding one with my wry humor (and keeping it within the T & C) is no easy task. I could throw one up that really says something about me, but not sure I would bother to keep it for long.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by projectvxn

Hehehe. I don't care what people think or what action they choose to take against me for my opinions. In my non-ATS life I have friends of so many different political beliefs, religious persuasions, and economic status. I have homeless punk rocker friends, I have friends who work in government and law enforcement, military, and even intelligence. And they all equally hear my unfiltered opinions. The same mix of people can be found on ATS, and because of that I am not afraid, as I have always been willing to listen to the other side, admit when I'm wrong, and respectfully assert my position. No one is going to knock on my door, or some of the things I've said would have made it happen by now. I get angry sometimes....What can I say. The point is, I felt that if I were to express my opinion to a wide audience then I might as well make it my opinion by putting a face and a name behind it. I want to always be held to account for the things I say and do.

You are one of the lucky ones. When I talk to many friends or family they think it's gloom and doom. If I stockpile things, such as ammo or food they wonder if I'm nuts.

I have a few select friends and family that agree with my views. I have been pursuaded by many not to discuss the economy, etc, etc.

I find these issues facinating not gloomy. That is why I come to ATS, many have the exact views as me.

Youre probably keen enough to know which group of affiliates will handle which current issue to avoid a clash of opinions.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
My avatar seems to tell you why I'm here... Not necessarily who I am - I'm not just a diagram. I saved it from a topic once (thank you, original op), and lended it for its current purpose... In the meantime it might offer you some nice contemplation on mine, your, our knowledge as well.

This avatar might change through time -it probably will once, since I'm not too keen with these colours
- but to accurately capture myself in image, symbols, colours and words will require some time of thoughtful consideration ...

I mostly form a slight first-sight like avatar and name based idea, then I check this first impression with the content of the post. Sometimes it matches, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes an avatar is intriguing, which motivates a decent reading of the post ...
I'm well aware of this subtle influence, which makes that in the end my impression will always be content-based only. But, it's nice to discover all different people and characters behind the creative flood of avatars

[edit on 21/10/09 by Movhisattva]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Being a Coast to Coast "streamlink" member, I chose my avatar because of a little joke they had going there. It was all about the idea that if malevolent aliens came down to earth, George Noory would tell them to eat the Canadians first cuz they taste better...lol.
I hope my avatar reflects my sense of humor and perhaps gives someone out there a little chuckle. P.S. I hope you all appreciate how difficult it was to find animated bacon.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

I surround myself with various viewpoints. I'm lucky in that I have managed to find people that can give their view points without being dismissive of mine. But if the S ever HTF I would have a solid group of people that would go to hell and back with me.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Constantly changing avatars are difficult for me to keep track of... I do associate avatars to posters ... I still can't decide between the two I've picked for myself, so I know the temptation to change them, but I prefer to settle on one and stick with it if I can.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join