It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why turkeys getting the swine flu is important......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Because those turkey farms are wonderful breeding ground for a combination of Bird flu H5N1 and the Swine Flu H1N1.....

If it recombines as a highly contagious pandemic that Kills 60% of infected. I am not fear mongering. There was a few cases of people co-infected in Egypt but that was in July.

These turkeys were in Canada.

in.reuters.com...

Here's a link to the H1N1/H5N1 co-infected thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm sure Dr. Nimon will have a commentary on this tommorow. It's a great site if you want a virologist's view on the swine flu.

www.recombinomics.com...

On a positive note at least for us northern hemisperers, the bird flu does better in warmer temperatures. But who knows how it could mutate.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by wylee]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is really one to look out for - thanks. My unserstanding of the H1N1 is that is lacking a number of damaging attributes, we don't want it collecting these from another virus or mutating into something worse.
I have been trying to convey the various ways that mutation's can increase (with little responce) Antibiotic use increases gene transfer upto 10000 times as often. Heat shock and heavy metals also increase successful gene transfer.
online.sfsu.edu...
I have a particular concern over GMO's (geneically modified organisms) also increasing the chances as it has been found that the novel gene is 30 times more available then normal genes. The virus need new genes to evolve or successfully survive the bodied immune system.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peter Brake
TI have a particular concern over GMO's (geneically modified organisms) also increasing the chances as it has been found that the novel gene is 30 times more available then normal genes. The virus need new genes to evolve or successfully survive the bodied immune system.

I've never put that together,but it makes total sense.

A lot of times the crops used to feed these turkeys are GMO's.

Thanks, great scary point.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by wylee]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This seems important.... oh well. Here's an article concerning this thread.

FLU SHOTS URGED FOR LIVESTOCK WORKERS AFTER TUKEYS CONTRACT H1N1
www.montrealgazette.com...

OTTAWA — To reduce the risk of the H1N1 virus mutating, livestock workers were pressed Tuesday to get their flu shots following the discovery of a turkey flock with the illness.

The outbreak at a farm owned by Hybrid Turkeys near Kitchener, Ont., poses no risk to human health, officials said at a news conference, but they warned about the dangers of viruses moving back and forth between humans and animals.

“We have to do all we can to stop the transmission of viruses between people and animals,” said Dr. Arlene King, Ontario’s top medical officer. “The risk is potential changes to the virus, against which people could have reduced or low immunity.”

Comment: It's even called Hybrid Turkeys.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by wylee]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
There is also a case of a ferret getting H1N1 from its owner.

Not a big deal such that they use ferrets to test influenza vaccines, but does point out that is jumping species and you can get it from your pets.

Here's the link:

promedmail.org...:1001:4149217802883938::NO::F2400_P1001_BACK_PAGE,F2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID:1000,79714

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wylee

At least it is recognising the risk of mutation. We have genetically engineered pig farms scattered over the planet I am hoping that they are being proactive with their staff. (If you sneeze twice in a day don't go to work!)

Australia had pigs with swine flu a while back - possibly ironic. Their is another post about higher mercury levels in the vaccine (this is a heavy metal yes?)

Health authorities have yet to name which antibiotics cause greater mutation, they haven't been informed by the biotech industry as to what to look out for. Frankly until the risk is publically acknowledged we continue blindly with doctors administering antibiotics to swine flu sufferers with complications and possibly mutating this disease further.

Heat shock, I'm not sure how this can be protected against, you guys have a pretty mean winter over there in the North if you have the swine flu keep yourselves warm seems sensible maybe lay off the ice cream I really don't know.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
More killer turkeys. Not really.

But it is jumping through species with somewhat ease.

"The pandemic H1N1 flu virus was confirmed in a flock of breeder
turkeys in Virginia -- the 1st US case involving turkeys, the US
Agriculture Department said on Monday [30 Nov 2009].

The virus also has been found in hogs, 3 house cats, pet ferrets, and
a cheetah in California [presumably a zoo animal who caught it from
its keeper -- cheetahs are native to Africa. - Mod.JW]. USDA said
infections of turkeys have been reported previously in Canada and Chile."

promedmail.org...:1001:2778927223064172::NO::F2400_P1001_BACK_PAGE,F2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID:1000,80318

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
www.ktradionetwork.com...

Mutated Flu Comes to China

November 30, 2009 Reuters By Stefanie McIntyre

China must be alert to any mutation or changes in the behavior of the H1N1 swine flu virus because the far deadlier H5N1 bird flu virus is endemic in the country, a leading Chinese disease expert said.

Zhong Nanshan, director of the Guangzhou Institute of Respiratory Diseases in China’s southern Guangdong province, said the presence of both viruses in China meant they could mix and become a monstrous hybrid — a bug packed with strong killing power that can transmit efficiently among people.

“China, as you know, is different from other countries. Inside China, H5N1 has been existing for some time, so if there is really a reassortment between H1N1 and H5N1, it will be a disaster,” Zhong said in an interview with Reuters Television.

“This is something we need to monitor, the change, the mutation of the virus. This is why reporting of the death rate must be really transparent.”

The World Health Organization warned on Tuesday that H5N1 had erupted in poultry in Egypt, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam, posing once again a threat to humans.

www.hstoday.us...

Concerns Grow Over Possible H1N1-H5N1 'Reassortment,' Other Mutations
by Anthony L. Kimery

Tuesday, 01 December 2009

'The obvious risk is of H5N1 combining with the pandemic [H1N1] virus'

Virologists and influenza authorities are becoming increasingly concerned that the 2009 A-H1N1 flu virus could “reassort” with the highly virulent H5N1 avian flu that’s still prevalent in parts of the world like China, and that a mutation could occur resulting in a new strain that has the lethality of H5N1 and the human transmissibility of A-H1N1.

The concerns have grown in the wake of revelations that mutations of the H1N1 flu virus had been found in Norway and elsewhere, leading experts to fear that it might just be a matter of time before there’s a reassortment of H1N1 and H5N1.

This comes as the World Health Organization (WHO) reported very high pandemic activity in Italy, Norway, the Republic of Moldova, the Russian Federation (Urals region), and Sweden.

Bulgaria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, the Russian Federation, Serbia, Turkey, and Ukraine also reported high pandemic activity.

visit the links for full stories.

Now, after looking at those reports, and considering China's past history and patterns of information sharing, what are the odds that it has already reassorted there? If the reassortment has ocurred, it is barely possible it was snuffed out quick if they caught it early, thus the warning for increased alertness.

Just wondering and speculating a bit.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'm not convinced a reassortment will be natural at all.

I still think a global pandemic is the only viable option for NWO to get away with their world government plans.

Especially now that Climategate has broke and the Austrailian Parliment voted against their form of cap and trade.

In a way, we have cornered them into this place. I don't think it's going to work though, ther is just too many variables.

But a great bunch of posts Apacheman.

Unfortunately it seems Native Americans and Inuits are at an increased risk to the pig flu also.

"H1N1 follows ethnic pattern
---------------------------
State and federal health officials wanted to know what kind of people
were hospitalized with swine flu [pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza virus
infection], so they studied Anchorage residents who tested positive
and were admitted at 4 area hospitals over several weeks -- a total of
59 people. The biggest surprise, according to state epidemiologist Dr
Joe McLaughlin: People from 2 ethnic groups -- Alaska Natives and
American Indians, and Asians and Pacific Islanders -- were
hospitalized at higher rates than those in any other ethnic groups.
The rate for Alaska Natives was 4.5 times greater than for white
people, at 50 per 100 000, said McLaughlin. Asians and Pacific
Islanders weren't far behind Alaska Natives, at a rate of 41
hospitalizations per 100 000."

promedmail.org...:1001:2310555846013259::NO::F2400_P1001_BACK_PAGE,F2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID:1000,80313

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
So animals in a whole bunch of farms are being infected with both swine and avian flus.

I believe we are being set up to believe the coming wave of killer mutant virus was an unfortunate, but predictable, natural occurrence.

Time to learn how to protect ourselves from avian flu, on the off-chance the clumsy idiots behind this actually succeed.

new topics

top topics

join