It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College tuition is up sharply amid recession

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

College tuition is up sharply amid recession

news.yahoo.com

With the economy struggling, parents and students dared to hope this year might offer a break from rising college costs. Instead, they got another sharp increase.

Average tuition at four-year public colleges in the U.S. climbed 6.5 percent, or $429, to $7,020 this fall as schools apologetically passed on much of their own financial problems, according to an annual report from the College Board, released Tuesday. At private colleges, tuition rose 4.4 percent, or $1,096, to $26,273.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I personally think that this is part of a greater plan. A lot of people who have been laid off have been considering going back to school for a better degree, the government has been cutting back on financial aid since the Bush years.

A dumb populous is a tame populous. TPTB don't want leaders of tomorrow, they want worker bees. They want people who will be happy just to make enough money to put food on the table and buy a flat screen TV in your RENTED apartment or house.

If you don't have access to education, you don't learn to think analytically, you don't question whats going on. They want to turn the US into a third world country.

In fact, during the period covered by the report, consumer prices declined 2.1 percent. So the latest tuition increase at public colleges was closer to 9 percent in real terms.

"It's only natural for parents to question why colleges are raising their prices yet again, while the rest of our economy is inflation-free," said James Boyle, president of the group College Parents of America.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

already started here.. me and you seem to go after the same news. lol

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I remember when I started to go to school in 1998 that a quarter was only $700. Now it is as much as a new car to go to school for a year. This is a huge problem. We want people to be educated and skilled but we make it impossible for them to get it. I also remember when you started school only like 25% made it through. now they keep you till you graduate and it take 6 years to get a 4 year degree. College has become a corrupt institution and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Simple supply and demand.

More people out of work = more people going back to school.

Seems like a savvy business move, no one is forcing you to go to school.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I love school tuition.

The big gov types will rail against any business making a profit no matter how small but they'll never say anything bad about Big U. The most they'll do is support programs that funnel more of our tax dollars to Big U by way of "student aid."

It could be 10 million dollars and a testicle per semester and people like Pelosi will do everything they can to round up testicles to hand out.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Not to mention locking you into debt from student loans that you can't discharge in bankruptcy. They have a crap load of debt slaves being made in the US and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bring back debtors prison. You go into debt to go to school. Once your out of school you find a job (maybe) that doesn't pay you enough to service your loans, it's a scam. If they can bailout banks and such for creating this mess of an economy, they can bailout students and parents. Our nation has in it a dumbed down, ignorant, predatory people that has been reduced to people husbandry to be controlled. Other nations provide with free schooling for their citizens, Not in the US. Other nations provide with national health for their citizens, Not in the US.

We let people and put in the minds of people that you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps and become a success. But what they don't know or haven't figured out is that the game is rigged.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Don't forget, after our health care is doubled in price the new monarchy will be mandating free college for everyone who 'qualifies.'

This means that once government starts guaranteeing tuition, it will get paid by the taxpayers or the invisible tax of printing more money.

Just like the military industrial complex, the new healthcare complex and oversized and bloated government, price won't matter.

They are just getting ready for the new pricing schedules early.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoghead cheese
You go into debt to go to school. Once your out of school you find a job (maybe) that doesn't pay you enough to service your loans, it's a scam.

I disagree with this, I don't think it is like this in all circumstances. I am currently a college student(working on second associates and a bachelor's degree). I make enough with my job that I have because of my first associates degree to pay for my loans(paying as I go), in addition to house payment, car payment, etc...given, I did have a little help from scholarships I earned from working hard in high school(didn't take the easy classes, not my style). So while, this may be true for some areas of study and certain colleges, you don't necessarily lock yourself into debt by going to college. Remember, there is good debt and bad debt.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It cost me $50,000 to get my teaching degree. After income tax, and student loan payments, I'm due to take home about $18,000 a year for the next 10 years.

How am I ever going to be able to buy a house, car, or take care of a wife & kids?

I could have made $18k straight out of high school.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 30_seconds

It cost me $50,000 to get my teaching degree. After income tax, and student loan payments, I'm due to take home about $18,000 a year for the next 10 years.

How am I ever going to be able to buy a house, car, or take care of a wife & kids?

I could have made $18k straight out of high school.

I am very sorry to hear that. Teaching is one of the more underpaid careers out there today. I wish it were otherwise, but certain fields just don't pay what you think they deserve. Of course, part of the problem with low pay for teaching is the fact that it is government funded(unless you luck into a private teaching job..which I can't say I really know the differences in figures).

My girlfriend is going into teaching, and we both have come to terms with the fact that her salary as a teacher is going to be more complimentary to my higher salary...more or less fun money, or money to bank for a rainy day(if she manages to get a job with that teaching degree, not so easy these days). We also decided not to even bother with the whole marriage, kids, etc.. things until we are both finished with college and are closer to finalizing the sort of things like job location and such(personal success is a high priority for both of us).

new topics

top topics

join