It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T Boss Asks Employees to Fake It

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

AT&T Boss Asks Employees to Fake It

www.commondreams.org

AT&T has "asked' its employees to fake it in the fight against Net Neutrality.

The company’s top policy officer sent a memo to workers on Monday urging them to hide their company affiliation before posting anti-Net Neutrality comments to the Federal Communication Commission’s Web site.

“We encourage you, your family and friends to join the voices telling the FCC not to regulate the Internet,” AT&T Senior Executive Vice President James Cicconi wrote in an internal communiqué forwarded to Free Press (and posted here). “It can be done through a personal e-mail account by going to www.openinternet.gov and clicking on the ‘Join the Discussion’ link.”

Coming from one of the company’s most senior executives, it’s hard to imagine AT&T employees thinking the memo was merely a suggestion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-10-2009 by grover]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This makes me sick.

The article goes on to say that the e-mail memo also suggests talking points to use for example:

Cicconi suggests that employees write that Net Neutrality will “jeopardize efforts to deliver high-speed Internet services to every American.” Yet he’s unable to provide any rationale for this claim, other than saying that universal access is a goal that “can't be met with rules that halt private investment in broadband infrastructure.”

I am tired of corporations and their heavy handed tactics to con us like into support them to our detriment.

More and more I believe that the 18th and early 19th century governments here and in Europe were right to distrust them enough to limit their charters.

I think its time to break up the baby bells.

www.commondreams.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

It figures that a die hard Progressive like yourself would be more offended by AT&T defending itself from a government gone mad than the fact that Obama and his Mao-loving pals are trying to take control of the internet and every other form of mass media in this country. I wonder why?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ChinkyMonkey

Thank you. Starred.

The media takeover has begun, and if they get their way sites like this, and many others will cease to exist.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
www.pcmag.com...

news.cnet.com...

www.pcworld.com...

Better links than commondreams.org

But grover, i really would have to agree with the above poster
he is absolutely right!

Bush = Obama
Same person, just better PR

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

You know I have issue with Grovers love of Obama too but that has nothing to do with net neutrality. Our government has always had its hands all over the web since they invented it. ...But with its expansion....

Net Neutrality is everything.

Defend it or enjoy watching TV because your not gonna enjoy the net.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

You do realize that the Obama admins idea of neutrality is that Liberals can say whatever they want as long as it doesn't go against the Progressive agenda, but Conservatives are an evil that must be beaten down and put in a cage in the dark corner of the room.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

More and more I believe that the 18th and early 19th century governments here and in Europe were right to distrust them enough to limit their charters.

I cannot argue against this as I absolutely abhor corporations. I won't even go work for them anymore, which makes getting a job much harder for me but I won't do it. The crap I've been subjected to over the years by corps is IMO simply disgusting and I refuse to play that game anymore. The last corporation I worked for got me injured on the job and they did all kinds of crap that ended up with me losing the job. The amount of crap involved in working for them is sickening - endless brainwashing, low wages, drug testing(this one ticks me off to no end, why is it their business?), management that are illiterate and worse, no or very little chance of advancement and busting my butt to get the job done so the corporation can make money yet I make little over minimum wage. Not to mention their control of the government and the fact that they have more rights than I do as a American citizen makes me want to throw up.

Break 'em all up, I say. If they are "too big to fail" then LET THEM FAIL!!!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Actually the biggest issues for net neutrality is that companies like comcast or ATT will no longer want to put money into upgrading their infrastructure if they need to share it. They put in the risks to R&D the technology and other people can swoop in an reap the profit.

Another part of it is for a provider like a cable company who offers a voip technology phone product ( almost every cable provider) it doesn't allow them to put phone as a priority for 911 and talk services over data packets being sent from somebody accessing their e-mail.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Net Neutrality is BY FAR one of the MOST important issues of our age.

Without freedom on the Internet, we will have lost our INFORMATION.

Without Information, we are lost for sure.

The Internet allows people from all over the entire world to share their ideas and news instantly.

This is our greatest weapon in the fight for freedom on Earth.

If we lose the Freedom of Speech, you may as well grab a gun and start shooting because there will be no recourse left to defend yourself from oppression.

I swear they are retarded though. These kingpins of telecom.

Theres a reason it was the First Amendment. Cuz it's the most important one of all!!!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Let's see here.
No Net Neutrality means we lose (essentially)

1) Freedom of speech
2) Freedom to assemble
3) Freedom of the press
4) Freedom to petition

And face it, without the internet capability NONE of these abilities are worth a crap in this day and age.

The FCC nor Telecom Industry have ANY legitimacy on calling the shots here. This is the right of the people!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Darn, you stole my post

I look at this as more of a positive thing instead of it being sickening.
Why do you think someone trying to stop net neutrality would be such a bad thing.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I am completely against the FCC regulating the internet. AT&T is opposing this and I support them on that fact, even if they are doing it behind the scenes. They just don't want the backlash from government agencies on their company for opposing them. I think I'll check out that link and join the discussion. The government already tries to tell us what to do enough, they don't need to have more power.

The internet is one of the last things left where I can do what I want without worrying about anyone messing with me. BACK OFF!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChinkyMonkey
reply to post by titorite

You do realize that the Obama admins idea of neutrality is that Liberals can say whatever they want as long as it doesn't go against the Progressive agenda, but Conservatives are an evil that must be beaten down and put in a cage in the dark corner of the room.

That's Obama neutrality. Anything but blind adoration of our dear leader will be condemned and ridiculed. Protesters are now called "tea baggers"...still not sure what protesting has to do with erotic humiliation but that's just me. This whole administration is a joke. A bunch of thin skinned babies with no idea what they're doing and a nearsightedness that staggers me.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I think this is the first time I starred one of your posts

Originally posted by titorite

You know I have issue with Grovers love of Obama too but that has nothing to do with net neutrality.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

A star for you. I still find it amazing that people will support corporate power grabs even when they lose...without net neutrality you really will have nothing but propaganda for news.

and by the way this has nothing to do with Obama...get it through your heads he is not the embodiment of evil...and I do not love or worship ANY politician...

this issue first reared its ugly little head several years ago and the final decision happens to fall under Obama's watch but that is all.

ATT, comcast etc do not own the internet but if they have their way, they will.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

But who decides what is propaganda and what is not?
I would like to sort it all out for myself to be honest. I don't want someone else doing it for me. Thats called censorship and I don't want any part in it.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Sigh...ATT and Comcast and the other big internet players are the ones threatening to control the internet with their plan to use tiered service.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChinkyMonkey
reply to post by grover

It figures that a die hard Progressive like yourself would be more offended by AT&T defending itself from a government gone mad than the fact that Obama and his Mao-loving pals are trying to take control of the internet

WTF???? It is like people don't think anymore...Do you even know Obama's position on Net Nuetrality or do you just bark ignorance?

Is everything a Pro-Obama or Anti-Obama topic? Stupidity...

FYI....

Obama pledges Net neutrality laws if elected president
news.cnet.com...

Obama Supports Net Neutrality Plan
www.pcmag.com...#

Obama Nominates Net Neutrality Backer for FCC Chief
www.wired.com...

Obama exhumes Net neutrality from the Tomb of Forgotten Issues
latimesblogs.latimes.com...

[edit on 20-10-2009 by maybereal11]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Let's stay clear headed here guys.

The FCC NOR the Telecom corp's have any say on this.

We the people are the only ones who can call the shots here.

Also one of you asked "Who is to say what is propaganda?"

The answer is, each of us individually.

For me, and my brain, I decide what is propaganda.

BUT...because we have freedom of speech, you have a freedom to spread propaganda for your agenda. And every person has a right to disseminate that and determine if they wish to buy into it or not.

I just am amazed that the FCC and the Telecom's think they have a say in this, they are NOT citizens or people even. They are buildings of brick full of paperwork. People come and go, but the organization remains the same.

Only people have a right to make a comment, not corporations, that is why AT+T is asking it's employees to speak as citizens.Because only citizens have a say here.

So let's outnumber them!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The issues that are stated on Net Neutrality are too vague and smells like political two stepping again. This is how I understand the arguments:
1) The government is arguing that there needs to be access for the internet by everyone, no matter where they are in the country. And that said access should be equal and not at different levels.
2) Opponents are stating that the costs and the slow down of the progress of technology development.
What I do not want to see is a control of the content as there are a few companies who have to, especially when working with countries, like China.
The other concern is that if they do this, then that there may be other problems that raise up and take off after people have worked hard to lower them down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join