It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orionid Meteor Shower Peaks Overnight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

The Orionid meteor shower is expected to put on a good show tonight into the predawn hours Wednesday, weather permitting.

This annual meteor shower is created when Earth passes through trails of comet debris left in space long ago by Halley's Comet. The "shooting stars" develop when bits typically no larger than a pea , and mostly sand-grain-sized, vaporize in Earth's upper atmosphere.

"Flakes of comet dust hitting the atmosphere should give us dozens of meteors per hour," said Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office.

From This article: Get Out: Orionid Meteor Shower Peaks Overnight

From NASA: Nasa.gov

The best time to look is before sunrise on Wednesday, Oct. 21st. That's when Earth encounters the densest part of Halley's debris stream. Observing is easy: Wake up a few hours before dawn, brew some hot chocolate, go outside and look up. No telescope is required to see Orionids shooting across the sky.

I'm going to wake up early for the show! Maybe take my dog on a morning walk, and keep my eyes on the sky!

-E-

[edit on 20-10-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Thank you for the reminder on this...

I will be up looking forward to this in the morning. Great way to wake up and watch the wonders of the universe right in your back yard. Hopefully, I will be able to see something. They said there might be possible rain showers in the morning.

Keep your fingers crossed!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this information. i will be up and at em around 5 am to see the show. here in louisville it is supposed to be clear.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
A star and a thanks for you...I will get up at 5 and walk my human in the park just to see them.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx
reply to post by hotbakedtater
reply to post by Grover

Your welcome! Glad to see there are others willing to sacrifice the sleep for one of Mother Natures most beautiful shows!

-E-

[edit on 20-10-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'll wake up early to look for it but unfortunately we've been having a lot of gray skies/rain here lately. I hope things clear up a bit, it would be nice to see this.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Thats fantastic.The more people who watch the meteor shower will mean the more people who may see a ufo.A bet ufo sightings reported will increase tonight.By the way,aliens.Don;t fly tonight.There will be too many people watching the skies.Take a brake for a couple of nights.Put your feet up and have a nice cup of warm human blood for supper.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Will be staying up in the hope todays Frontal system over the UK clears by the early hours, at least to see one or two behind the post-airmass showers anyway.

The Leonids are also expected to be great this year, both Orionids/Leonids not having the Full Moon to ruin the display.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I wonder if it will be visible in a big city like New York ? Anybody on ATS into astrophotography should be able to grab quite a few good shots.

I used to have a neat portable table top schmidt cassegrain telescope back in the day but alas, its useless in a big city with all the light pollution.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Cool beans, and the forcast says clear. Thanks for the heads up. Keep track and will see who see's the most meteor's.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The article I read said that you should be able to see them starting at 1am (I'm guessing EST).

I'm going to stay up through the night with my camera, see if I can catch any good shots.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Wow thankyou so much! I usually start these types of threads myself, but been too busy to even know it was happening.

Thankyou so much for the headsup LOl!

Happy gazing everyone.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Wow, I can't believe somebody beat C.H.U.D. to the punch on this. Unfortunately scheduling doesn't really give me a chance to go watch. Hopefully those that do get to go out get a great show

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Sooo, did anyone catch the show? It was full overcast where I live, so I couldn't have seen a plane flying let alone a meteor. Hope others had better luck!

-E-

[edit on 21-10-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I got to watch the clouds roll in @ 0330-0500 CST
Anyways hope someone caught some....ty ME

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up! Now lets just hope this isnt as dissapointing as when I got up early to catch the lunar bombing mission. But I should worry too much because any streaks across the sky would immediately top that blunder.

S & F

Edit because I am an idiot and a late one at that. Thanks anyways for the attempted heads up.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by underduck]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by underduck

I think you just missed the "peak" of the shower. You should be able to see some if your patient!

-E-

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Patience ... I have. C'mon universe ... show me some of that voodoo that you do so well.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by zombiemann

Apologies for my absence. I have been snowed under with work here. Good to see that people are on their toes and there were a couple of posts on the Orionids.

How did you all fare?

I only saw one casually as I glanced out of the window last night.

I should be back soon as the Taurids are gradually cranking up, and the Leonids will be here soon. The Leonids are expected to be in outburst mode this year, and observers in Europe, Africa and the Middle East are likely to get to see the peak which is expected a few hours before midnight UT on the 17th November.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I went out at various times throughout the night. I didn't really see anything.

At one point I 'thought' I saw something faintly streak across the sky, but it was literally as fast as the blink of an eye. So I wasn't sure if it was infact part of the shower, or if my eyes were just playing tricks on me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join