It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome futuristic buildings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueOrb

Don't mean to derail the thread, but while we are talking about Dubai.... Vanity Fair had a big article a few years back about it, and they alluded to most of the construction there being done by Pakistani "slaves".

The author was not permitted to speak with them. Showed pictures of them in blue work clothes being bussed to an unknown location following a work day. Looked like a couple of hundred of them. He talked with someone who reportedly had spoken to one of them, (he said she said he said) who said they were invited there to work and make tons of money, but alas, learned they would not be permitted to leave, and consequently were enslaved.

Is this true, or do you have any knowledge of this?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Also not wanting to derail the thread or go off topic.........

Slavery is probably a bit of an exaggeration, but yes, the vast majority of the construction workforce in UAE (labourers) are from the India/Pakistan area. They do get bussed around (large, white, old buses that you and i would fear to ride in!), and don't earn very much at all (average wage probably 800 dirhams per month, = €130 = $200, approx). They live in "labour camps", often on the outskirts of the urban area, and some of these camps leave a lot to be desired in terms of facilities and cleanliness. Some come here via a labour agency, that does promise big earnings (comparatively speaking), and yes they can often be misled. But generally, although they earn very little compared to westerners, they are still earning far more than is possible "at home", and still manage to send money back for their families.

Some of the larger constructiuon companies do provide far better facilities - for example one developer has an operatyives village (camp) that houses something like 30,000 workers. They have their own dedictaed mediacl centre, sports facilities, a cinema, and even a cricket pitch with granstands! They get their meals every day, and have laundry and washing facilities on hand. But i would say that is the exception, rather than the rule.

It can be very difficult to see these workers when you first come here, and it does look like slavery, but once you have been here a while, you begin to understand that it's the way of the world, and that that they are happy to be here.

In fact, you mention blue overalls - It's almost a part of the local culture now, to see so many indians wearing blue overalls! They even feature in the opening title video for the local news programme every day.

Historically. Indians and Pakistanis have always travelled to the UAE, as it is so close, and has always been a trading hub for the area. It used to be pearls and gold, befcore oil was discovered. Now it is still the trading hub, but is also building for the future with infrastructure, buildings, etc.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by BlueOrb]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The architecture of the tower where all the floors move independently has my brain baffled.

I imagine the mechanics in something like that would be extremely costly...not to mention the maintenance of the building

You would have to be ridiculously rich to afford an entire floor.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
For a place with such grandiose architecture designs already built, currently being built, and planned to be built in the near future; how come there was a story not long ago about some more than 3,000 vehicles being abondoned at the airport because people were fleeing Dubai due to the failing economy so's not to face prison terms for failure to pay a debt?

I am in no way trying to incite an arguement with anyone by asking the question. I'm just curious.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueOrb

(says quietly so no one will notice it's off topic):
Thanks for your detailed reply. Something about the place fascinates me, and I'm really not sure why. It might just simply be the architecture.
I didn't even know it existed until Bush was going to contract them for security, and our whole country went so nuts he had to call it off. Remember that? Anyway, thanks again for your reply. It's nice to talk with someone who actually lives there.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Call me crazy, but I don't think gratitude and nice manners are ever off topic.
(And hardly something one should keep quiet about - especially in such a "loud" environment as this.
)

Anyway, I just wanted to add a road sign to this oldish thread of mine, because I suspect some might like to see it:

Walking with dolphins

(Palm trees under the Bering strait... Oh yeah.
)

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Vanitas]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join