It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brotherhood of the walking stick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Growing up as a hunter, guide and outdoors men here in the Rocky Mountains I was taught about a very unofficial Brotherhood of the walking stick...

All the truly experienced guides all made their own and carried a walking stick they had adorned with various tidbits... the only common trick they had was they always have a feather by which to judge wind speed and direction... sometimes they include rattles and/or bells to scare bears and other critters...

They would set their stick up on a trail head to let you know you were entering their camp too... we got to learn who people were by their walking sticks...

It occurred to me maybe ATS'ers could do something along these lines, a way to ID each other in the field... ???

BTW on my walking stick I wrap 25 feet of heavy nylon cord... never know when it might come in handy and it has many times in the past

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Cool! I grew up in Colorado and never heard of any of these things. I always try to find a solid walking stick when going on large hikes, but usually discard it when i leave. Leave nature as you find it is my philosophy.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

That's a good idea. Should our sticks be ornamented by UFOs? Alien heads?

Seriously, the marker denoted an ATS'r should be easy to spot and available at most homes or malls. Lets not use eagle feathers. Eagles are finally getting back in numbers and look so majestic. We dont' want to see their number dwindle b/c ATS'rs want to adorn their walking sticks.

Maybe sticking an ATS sticker somewhere on your walking stick, backpack, hat, etc. Or some reference to any ATS board. Like have a mini Star Wars toy attached to your walking stick.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I like the walking stick story.
Interesting way to identify a camp.

I thought ATS already had identifying objects though like tinfoil hats and sandwich boards saying 2012 is nigh.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Ahh i like this idea ... walking sticks are of great use but like a previous poster said i usually find them as i go and leave them when i leave. But now that you mention it i think the next stick i pick up im going to finish and put some decorations on there ... now if only i could find a small mailbox as a grip

[edit on 20-10-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
As a child I really liked walking sticks.

I like to envision my futureself as an elderly wizardly fellow (like merlin or gandalf the gray),
typically with a walking stick or staff.

So far I know it has a use as:
weapon staff,
pole vault,
wind direction (bird feathers).

But does it actually aid in walking?
And if so, how does it do it.
Are their studies that show people spending less calories,
or completing a journey more quickly,
whilst using a walking stick?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lowki

really its more for gaining footing when youve got a load on your back ... at least that's how i use it. But like previous posters ive heard of it as an animal deterrent

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Put a wad of tinfoil on the end, and viola you have an ATS walking stick.

You can also scratch two lines into it, since only ATS’er seem to have to add a second line to everything.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Oh… BTW be careful about what types of feathers and such you place on a stick. Many such things are actually illegal unless you carry a card saying that you are a registered American Indian or can show the correct stamp/hunting/fishing permit.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Oh… BTW be careful about what types of feathers and such you place on a stick. Many such things are actually illegal unless you carry a card saying that you are a registered American Indian or can show the correct stamp/hunting/fishing permit.

FYI you can buy dyed goose feathers at Tandy leather factory, a national chain.. for like 2, 3 bucks... dyed they look just like eagle feathers without needing to go to jail...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I have not heard of the story, but I have a walking stick... As does my wife and both kids. However, my stick is definatly militeristic in nature. It is a tool to me that holds items I need. I don't forsee having feathers on it, but in contradiction to my camoflagable one, my wife has insisted upon putting pink ribbon on hers.

I think it's comical looking at the four sticks by the back door, each as unique as their owner.

I would be anxious to see what ATSers will use as the ATS designater.

Good post OP!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
please post pictures of your walking sticks.

they be greatly appreciated.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Just a quick note... Scouts have been using staves for years. They are the ultimate in survival and bushcraft tool.

Here are some great links on their use, and how too guides:

Uses
Make sure you open the jpg files, they are gold!

How to make one

Peace out...

Timbo

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I vote for a piece of tin foil to identify ATSers.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Sator

heres a thought, why not just scratch 'ats' into the wood?

surely that would at the least be more durable & last longer then a piece of tin-foil?

-B.M

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

Durable, yes....

After TEOTWAWK, perhaps there will be situations where you want to be adentified as an ATS member, and sometimes you don't want to be identified.
If you scratch or carve on it, it may be "difficult" do conceal...

If it's just a "piece of something" you can take it off and put it on whenever you want to.

Peace

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
am i the only one thinking tin foil is very reflective and can become seen at long distance. that may be bad at some point.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lowki
But does it actually aid in walking?
And if so, how does it do it.

Simply put, a stout walking stick effectively gives you a "third leg", and a tripod is a much more stable platform, especially on uneven ground.

I used to have a good stick when I lived in New England and would often hike the woods. It was about 5 feet tall, and sturdy. I had it wrapped with 30 feet of parachute cord for a grip which could be removed if cord was needed. There were two holes drilled into the top in which resided a couple of 4" nails, wedged in with blades of dry grass to keep them secure. They came in handy rather often. I had a couple of bandanas tied around it which could serve as headwear, bandages, a container to hold small found objects (berries, tinder, etc.) or any number of other things. The bottom end was reinforced by wrapping it with bailing wire to reduce breakage, and could be used as snare wire or many other things. There was also a whistle tied to it, because you never know.

Now, in Florida, the woods and climate aren't as hospitable for hiking, so I don't get out much. I gave my stick to friend up north who I knew would use it often, as we had often hiked together and he always admired it. Before I gave it to him, I carved my name into it, and told him to do the same if/when he passed it on.

I kinda miss it sometimes, but it's better to have it being used than to have it in a closet.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Love the trusty walking stick. I use one when carrying a heavy pack long distance. If the stick is too short it will wear you out. When holding it, your fore arm to upper arm angle should be greater than 90 degrees, so that you can lean down on it having the stick take some of the load while giving the user support.

I enjoy carving sticks, tapering them out while keeping true to their shape. I've got an Ironwood stick (hardest wood in North America) with a brass tip that stands guard at the head of my bed (more for peace of mind) in case of any evil doers.

Packed across British Columbia with a Walnut stick I made.

I live in eastern Canada where our coyotes are starting to assault hikers. A woman was killed by two in Cape Breton. Dogs being walked are being assaulted when on abandoned rail bed trails. These are not just typical coyotes that we have here. Genetics have shown that the eastern coyote is crossed with timber wolves making them the largest coyote in North America. This is another reason I like the idea of a hard wood quarter staff.

cheers

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I love the walking stick idea. Great thread! This might be a good symbol to put on an ATS walking stick.LOL

new topics

top topics

join