It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The desire to destroy Christianity

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo-Dark

Very good information here

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Then put a leash on the wackos who run around screaming and frothing at the mouth, passing out bibles to children and telling the rest of us that we're going to burn for eternity in hell if we don't convert.

Yah. The same ones who steal, rob, lie, rape, pillage, plunder, turn deceits, hurt people so severely they wont touch another religion for the rest of their lives, and on and on and on. The same ones who have money pouring out of their ears, and when they pass a suffering poor person, all they can do is belch 'God loves you!' and go on, without a real bother of actual help. I personally have been on the losing end of that well more than once.

Here's a prime example:

One such example

If Christianity is being destroyed, the CHRISTIANS are the ones doing it.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

I don't think you fully understand the true motives behind
someone who asks you to accept Christ as your Lord and Savior.

Just like you wouldn't understand the motives of someone who tried, for example, to convert you to Islam?

See, I would find that as a form of flattery.

I do not believe you sir. I believe you are deluding yourself.

If someone of your beliefs expressed a desire to save you from damnation and espoused your beliefs at you to accomplish it, yes perhaps you would feel flattered. However, when the muslims start banging on your doors regularly and giving korans to your children and telling you that your wife better wear a headpiece or she deserves to be raped for the greater glory of God...

...would you feel flattered?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

The simplest thing that I can say is that Christians as a rule, do not have the same ideals as Jesus Christ. Many people think we will be able to progress further if the hypocrisy of Christians was removed. I am not Christian, and I agree they do not practice what they preach, as a rule, but I do think people should be able to worship however they want. I just wish the majority of Christians would really let Jesus's example into their hearts.

Against health care for all - Anti Jesus
Against helping the unfortunate in society - Anti-Jesus
Defending the money grubbers - Anti-Jesus
Defending war - Anti-Jesus
Accumulating more assets than you need to live - Anti -Jesus
Looking down on others who believe differently - Anti-Jesus

The list just goes on and on. I personally will respect Christians when they start behaving like Jesus would have wanted. Until they do, they should expect exactly what thye are now getting.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
There seems to be a tolerance for religious intolerance on ATS. It doesn't seem to fit the ideal's of the site so I am only able to assume that it is an oversite of some sort that I'm sure will be corrected in time.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by blankduck18

Originally posted by crmanager

Originally posted by Rhetoric
Not slamming your personal beliefs at all, just trying to answer one of the questions you posed.

Why is Christianity the Great Satan in the world?

Maybe because Christianity brought Satan to the world?

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Rhetoric]

Really...Are you kidding? CHRISTIANITY BROUGHT SATAN TO THE WORLD?!!!

But you are not slamming "personal belief." Mods...please let this poster keep hanging themself.

Mayans did not have a "Satan." Nor the Hindus. Just Christians. Jeeze you are (had to stop myself) interesting.

I would like to thank all of you posters for this illuminating conversation. I believe that sould will be saved by your thoughts here today.

You have proved with almost all of your replies here........
That You Are In The Matrix'

Red pill or blue?

Typing while laughing.......

I answered the question, it wasn't asked as........

why is christianity seen as THE great satan?"

Not A Great Satan....

Of course other cultures had demons and whatever, but nobody had "The Great SATAN" before Christianity.

Perhaps you wouldn't come across so silly if you actually read the question Before you try to crap on someones reply.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Rhetoric]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with Christianity. People are allowed to believe whatever they want to believe in, no matter how silly it may sound. To a Christian, my religion sounds silly. Christianity is a great place to start for people who want to have everything explained as "miracles of God," and what not - instead of study cold hard scientific facts, no matter how earth shattering that may be. It's unfair to lump Christianity in this category, I suppose, as Islam and Judaism follow similar fashions.

However...I do have a problem when Christianity is continuously shoved down my throat, I am ridiculed by them, en masse, for not following their ways, and constantly annoyed by them trying to get me to attend meetings, ceremonies, and the like. All religious have their fundamentalists.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

The repetion is what bothers you?

The repetition and the discourtesy. Again...some christians are extremely rude about their prosyltizing. I understand that it's a consequence of the christian perspective of Satan...there's a sense of "something to lose" that most other religions seem to lack. But regardless of motivation, yes...repetition and discourtesy.

Where do you live?

Southern California.

I have NEVER seen an area where Christians are forcibly distributing Bibles.

At my high school there was a man who used to wait outside the gate to pass out bibles to kids walking home.

Bad apples...maybe?

Pretty much what I said in my initial post. There's a fringe element that's ruining it for the rest of you. You guys really need to clean house.

You are NOT GOING TO HELL FOR NOT BELIEVING! Stop with that tiresomes phrase.

It's not my invention. I'm not the one you need to tell. You need to tell all the christians who are using threats of damnation and hellfire as incentive to convert. Let me share with you one of the more popular conversion methods out here: "Think of it this way: if christianity is right, and you become christian, then you'll live in heaven for eternity. But if you don't, you'll spend eternity burning. On the other hand, if christanity is wrong, then either way, you haven't lost anything. So accepting Jesus is really the safest choice."

I've been given that line lots of times.

It seems that this has turned into "How have Christians offended me?"

Well, I am attempting to honestly, thoroughly and genuinely answer your original question of why christians are on the receiving end of so much dislike.

How about trying duck's thought. YOU
start fresh with Christianity and try again.

...so after all this discussion about how annoyingly persistent christians are about pushing christiniayt on people...you're suggesting that I become a christian?

Aren't you kind of just demonstrating my point?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

*applauds and wishes I dont have to figure out how to stretch this into 2 lines or more*

E X A C T L Y. I've seen so much crap out of people who call themselves Christians, Now, anyone who says they are one get a suspicious look, and I start checking my back for knife blades. If Jesus were to show up, there's gonna be a whole lotta 'Christians' sitting in shocked silence with 'FAIL' stamped on their bottoms.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by wylekat]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

The quality of a human being and the 'crap' they undertake in their lives has precious little to do with the faith they name as their own....

I think I see the nature of the friction here as rather opportunistic christian-bashing in some part.

But you speak of the people, not of the faith. That seems entirely off the mark if we are to accept the OP as evidently intended.

I would like to try and set a seed of a thought.

Were the world full of Christians - not what YOU see as Christian but real - as Jesus preached Christians, could you live in peace?

This is not about choosing a faith, it's about recognizing your judgment of people, and hanging the judgment on their namesake faith.

Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

If a muslim paid attention to me because they sincerly wanted me to be free from my sin, free from death and live in peace and love with their God, not so they could pat themselves on the back but because they had a genuinte LOVE for me, then YES, I would feel flattered. Would I convert? I'm not saying you have to convert, I'm saying that you should look at the context in what these people do. Now, Indeed from what you have stated, you have and it disappoints you because it is offensive per say and I see that as rather unfortunate.

But Christianity (or at least the correct form) does not come as oppressive rules and regulations. We do not demand women to act a different way, to wear head pieces or to wear other pieces of formal cover up. You may say that we expect women to not be exposing, but I believe that is what should be the norm. Anyone who says otherwise is seriously misled and disillusioned. (But that is a topic of my own passion, and has no place in this thread) No, Christianity is about a relationship. From what you have witnessed, it's more of a converting game.

I'm sorry that that is what you have been exposed to. I can assure you that there are better forms. But then again, anyone would say that about anything they strongly believed in.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country

But Christianity (or at least the correct form) does not come as oppressive rules and regulations. We do not demand women to act a different way, to wear head pieces or to wear other pieces of formal cover up....

Just for the sake of accuracy; there are in fact certain subsets of the Christian community that practice such restrictions, and some even more.

Other than that - you have a point. Assuming we are speaking of the 'universal' love - anything brought to us in that spirit is to be embraced in peace; whether you accept it or not is up to you.

Everyone is very angry at Christian proselytism, most agree that it and other forms of 'pushing one's faith' can be conducted in an aggressive and offensive manner.

The disappointing failure lies with the messenger, not the message.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The quality of a human being and the 'crap' they undertake in their lives has precious little to do with the faith they name as their own....

Oh, do tell. I can sit here all day long, typing page after page of reasons why it's just as much the 'people' of a faith as it is the faith itself- it's like buying a plant and not being able to water it. I've prayed for my share of miracles, and needs that were simply ignored. Not money (except where a repair was needed), not 'Shiny Car!, Nothing of the sort. A great, GREAT deal of things people pray for RELY ON OTHER PEOPLE WHO LISTEN TO GOD TO DELIVER PRAYER NEEDS. Instead, we get A$#&*)$ who purse their lips and state 'God isn't a vending machine, you know. *huff, tsk tsk*". The ones who just roll their eyes at someone who's down to their last 5 cents, pull out their bible and read 'the happy holy thought of the day', leaving the person just as broke.... and thinking "WTH?!" There's a passage in the bible that states(and I paraphrase) "It's better to build someone a fire than to 'bless them with warmth". All I have seen is people who want to work their mouths, and not lift so much as a finger- God forbid lift cash from their wallets.

For you 'context challenged', here's a nice, easy example to follow:

I am alone on the planet. I have no family, no relatives, No one. just me, and 2 cats. Now, if anyone gets lost, ask an adult with the hard words, k?

I once talked to my pastor about this. It's been 20 years of looking for a wife, and it's been a perfect failure all around, most because Christian women have proven themselves to be words and phrases I cant write on ATS. 'Despicable' is a start... Anyways, this man gets into his luxury car (I own a beat up little VW), with his family, his wife, and his grandkids, looks me square in the eye and says (wait for it)

"Jesus never said it would be easy"

And drives off. Leaving me to go to my lonely home.

So- What does this do to one's faith? I can tell you exactly what it does to one's faith. IT DESTROYS IT. I got a million of these cute, fun stories- constant, unending tales of pain, suffering, lies, deceit, all sorts of crap that has blasted me time and again.

I'm going to say this once- and a word of advice. Don't a single one of you self righteous SOBs even think of lecturing me, because let's face it, I, and everyone who's been thru it knows this is a truth (and the rest of you who AREN'T like this- no jumping into the mix, it just makes you look as bad as the slime) As Christians, who are to do the work of Jesus- FAIL. All you seem to want to do is offer lip service, hot air, and waste the precious O2 of the planet, instead of doing what you OUGHT to. You've turned the words of Jesus into a moneymaking scheme, and you use The Bible and the words of Jesus for control, to hide under, and to make excuses.

THIS is why Christianity is going down the pike. THIS is why just about everyone wants to see anyone who even thinks the words 'I'm a Christian' dead and mangled. Because the majority of Christians are loudmouthed, vociferous, lazy, opinionated, self serving swine who are not worth the effort of fertilizing a garden with.

Now- have I made myself crystal frigging clear? Gooood.

I'll come back to Christianity after a lot more than a small % have a clue. Sad part is... the small % who DO have a clue are working with nearly nothing... They have the Sisyphus routine down to an art form. They also get a lot of applause out of me, and I am sure people like me.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by wylekat]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
The disappointing failure lies with the messenger, not the message.
[edit on 20-10-2009 by Maxmars]

Thank you for your input. What you said makes much sense. But I sincerely hope that regardless of the fact that some Christians are offensive, I would like to think that they are unaware of it, and are just doing what they think is right. But is that an excuse? I don't know. We are all ignorant in some way or another of what other people think of us.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

I am certain that no one who is driven by their faith would ever "intend" to be offensive.

But some must learn that if they cannot contain the passion, or harden themselves against their own sensitivities, they cannot accomplish what they set out to do.

I believe, as in my opinion, that when discussing the topics such as the OP; we should refrain from loosing our cool.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blankduck18

jesus is not a religion, nor did he come to create one, but to abolish them all.

He came to demonstrate the TRUTH of who and what we really are.
He showed us the Spiritual Law and how to use it right and He showed us what we are capable of.

These things I do, ye can do also.

The creation of the Roman Church was to silence His message of our reality and our Spiritual Inheritance and our ultimate freedom from oppression under a material ruler.

I am condemed because i believe in HIM only and His message of my reality. I do not believe in a low level guy named satan. I believe in the Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent Spirit.

All that God is I AM.

God is Truth, Life, Love, Substance, Intelligence, Health, Supply and Surety.

So when people condemn Christianity I am not affected as I can say, your God is dead, Your bible a lie, because the True Spirit and the True Bible are not moved or destroyed.

Only the lie is affected and it melts back into the nothingness from whence it came.
Almost all religions are exclusive and believe in some part of life being seperate from the Creator, in fact almost without exception they all fall on the same issue, gender.

So let the false teaching eschewed by the world leaders fall by the wayside, and let the ones who know truth prevail, as each one who succeeds is an impetus to all who follow.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

I get the message. Maybe you are alone. I can't say. I really don't know, and can't know the heart aches which you've endured.

All I can say is, were this somehow limited to Christians, would you feel any better? One of the nice things about the faithful of Islam is that there religion does not suggest charity for our neighbors; it commands it.

But one look at their cultural form and we can see they are no better than any other. The Hindus have their untouchables, and every faith once procured for 'management' defines itself by demonizing those who are not among them.

Being alone does not protect you from this wrong thinking. It only isolates you. Besides, solitude is a matter of perception. What you want is an explanation? Ancient wisdom suggests the explanation is within. And warns us that going deep within oneself for refuge can be a trap.

No easy way to reconcile that with the brand of 'happy' so many want to sell.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Hi crmanager, I feel you are really looking for an answer and I appreciate your call for respectful interaction. Here's my story; I am someone who used to be Christian.

I grew up Christian [Baptist in California], and believed it was the way: I got baptized, went to church off and on, and read the Bible. I went to church camps and events and love how most Christians I encountered were wonderful people, kind, giving, caring, and dedicated.

When I was 11 I noticed, while reading Genesis in Summer Bible Camp that dinosaurs wee not included in the Bible. I asked about it in our class and instructor said you just need to "take things on faith, and not ask questions." In the same class we encountered Adam and Eve... I asked "If Adam and Eve had two sons, who did the sons marry?" I was asked to leave, and my parents were then told I was "causing other kids to lose faith" and that they not bring me back!

I went to different Christian churches for the next 3-4 years and had fun, met people (including a girl who stole everything she could get her hands on).

At age 20 I prayed to God. I said roughly, "God, I want to come to church but I don't feel right about it. Please guide me to an experience to let me know the truth." The next Sunday I woke up suddenly and knew I was to go to my Grandparents church. I went and was very happy to be there. I looked around and followed my instincts. I decided to go to a singles group for 18-25 year olds. Ten minutes into the lecture/sermon the teacher talked about the power of prayer. He said, "Look outside... you see that red Porsche? That's MINE! If you pray hard enough you can get anything you want!!" I walked out.

These experiences were just one guy's experience with people, not with a religion. I don't base my feelings about Christianity on these experiences, but they certainly didn't help me trust in God's guidance for me!

I turned to the Bible and tried to find my own answers. I still didn't recognize I could give up my religion and that there are bigger truths out there than just what's in the Bible or what preachers tell me.

I found out that the Bible is a bunch of stories that totally don't pertain to truth! There were the original dinosaur issue, the Adam and Eve's sons issue, and many, many more. I could read the Bible as absolute truth, but that didn't work:
* I NEVER wanted to offer a son for God to burn in sacrifice. [Abraham?]
* I never wanted daughters to have sex with their dad to carry on the lineage. [Lot]
* I didn't want a King who had 1100 concubines and 700 wives to cheat on his neighbor and have the man killed. [Solomon]
* I didn't want a Bible that denied science and called things like rainbows God's word as though they didn't exist before Christianity.

I tried to take the Bible just as story, but that doesn't work either. The moral's of the stories are horrendous!
* Poor Job - God actually ruined this guy's life just to show Satan a thing or two!
* God destroys cities
* God chooses a favored twin while they're still in the womb!

They say God is love? The stories of God in the Bible portray this being as a egomaniac, brutal, unfair, ass.

Here's why I am against Christianity...

The LOVE Christians attribute to God has ALWAYS been. Consciousness has always been. Karma has always been (cause and effect).

Christianity modeled the Bible after truth THEN they claimed the truth was due to their God giving it. The way things work in the world were here FAAAR before Christianity ever came on the scene - the Bible Capitalized on that. Then continued and said that only priests can talk to God; give priests your money, power, and respect.

Christianity, among other organized religions, has taken the power of conscious awareness from people, it has taken away their power of choice, and their ability to see cause and effect with themselves as a player.

My wish? That people still practice just what they do, and stop trying to make the term Christianity fit their lives. The love and connection we feel is due to our essence, our being human, our place in the energies of the universe.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
Why is Chrisianity seemingly seen as the "Great Satan" in the world?

It isn't. Some of us just don't think that the bible makes sense in its entirety and question it. Even though you may not like that fact, that is very far from picturing Christianity as the "great satan", as you put it so well, in the world.

I have read the bible from end to end in two different languages and the more I keep reading it the less sense it makes, from a logical perspective.

Please be open and discuss rather than condemning.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

All I can say is, were this somehow limited to Christians, would you feel any better?

I know it isn't limited to Christianity, but that's what's been hammered in. If I were Islamist, I'd be just as PO'd. Problem there is, I'd have blown myself and a building up by now, probably with a ham sandwich between my teeth in abject defiance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join