It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One in six Americans in poverty, new study finds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

It is call Globalization and was signed under Clinton administration and both political parties were in it.

We have lost our bread earners and our wealth builders and we have made China, India and the Asian Markets wealthy.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Another article on this subject, and the manipulation of data regarding it. This is becoming a HUGE story and a tragedy that is being underplayed quite a bit by certain criminals in our gov and the Corpo-media outlets:

Is poverty at 40 million — or 47 million?

WASHINGTON - How should poverty in America be counted? The Census Bureau uses a calculation that put the number at 39.8 million last year. But a revised formula that lawmakers are considering adds more than 7 million Americans to that number.

If the revised formula is adopted, a more refined picture of American poverty could emerge that would capture the everyday costs of necessities besides food.

Full Article:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Exactly, it's called Globalization.

This why it's suprises me when I hear people complain about companies moving jobs overseas.

This was pushed by Clinton and when anyone said anything about Globalization and free trade they were called protectionist especially by the democrats.

Anyone with half a brain could see that free trade meant our manufacturing based would be hit because of cheap labor.

The danger now is Obama wants to put the genie back in the bottle and he wants us to be a massive government and massive union styled economy.

This is impossible because of free trade and cheap labor. Americans can't create enough jobs or the kind of jobs to sustain a massive government. This is why you need small government and Bush and now Obama have buried us in debt.

This is why you have this gulf. Wall Steet will make money because they are operating in the Global economy. The middle and lower class can't compete in the Global economy when you have the burden of heavy taxation and massive government.

Poverty in America will get worse as government gets bigger and increases debt.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by superrat

Right you are! America celebrates diversity! The dumbing down of America the devaluation of American labor! 12 miilion illegals in the country because the "market" demands low paid workers BUT 20% of Americans refuse to work under any circumstances and stick their hands out.

They're the ones with nylon # on their heads and a 9 mm in their baggy pants pocket singing hateful songs about "hos" and "bitches" and dead cops

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boston Grump

They're the ones with nylon # on their heads and a 9 mm in their baggy pants pocket singing hateful songs about "hos" and "bitches" and dead cops

Wow? Really? You've managed to contaminate another thread with useless words.

I'm unemployed and I can guarantee that I don't wear "nylon sh&*" on my head or wear baggy pants or sing hateful songs.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Poverty is a relatve thing.

Here in the UK I'm classed as living in poverty (possibly abject poverty) because my income is so much lower than the national average and I have no savings.

Yet I own my own business, I am a Trustee of a Scottosh charity, I own 2 laptops, a mobile (cell) phone and colour TV and a decent digital camera. I live in a nice house in a nice neighbourhood. I have a bottle of wine to drink 3 or 4 nights a week. Am I in poverty? According to my goverment I am .....

Why?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

On the other end of that spectrum, my husband makes a fairly decent income (by national standards) but we can barely afford OUR MODEST mortgage, we can barely pay bills (we have no cable or internet at home, either, so its not like we "splurge") and we both have a TON of credit card debt. Honestly? I don't know how we are going to make it.

Edit to add and clarify: So by our government standards, we are not even close to poverty, but we scrape by for everything. Right now we're cutting back on food to pay for a lien against the house. No wine for us this month.

[edit on 21/10/09 by Morbo the Annihilator]

[edit on 21/10/09 by Morbo the Annihilator]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Another article on this subject, and the manipulation of data regarding it. This is becoming a HUGE story and a tragedy that is being underplayed quite a bit by certain criminals in our gov and the Corpo-media outlets:

Is poverty at 40 million — or 47 million?

WASHINGTON - How should poverty in America be counted? The Census Bureau uses a calculation that put the number at 39.8 million last year. But a revised formula that lawmakers are considering adds more than 7 million Americans to that number.

If the revised formula is adopted, a more refined picture of American poverty could emerge that would capture the everyday costs of necessities besides food.

Full Article:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Excellent article, and recommended reading!
I spent the better part of this afternoon (beginning around a little before 1 pm) researching the information contained in this article (published at 4:14 pm--at least a few of us on the same wavelength) after reading your thread yesterday. BTW, S&F!

These are the links I was able to find:

Poverty In the US:

How is poverty measured in the United States?

www.irp.wisc.edu...

Why the United States Needs An Improved Measure of Poverty

www.brookings.edu...

Also, featured on the NAS site:

www.nationalacademies.org...

--Recommendations for Improved Measure of Poverty

A paragraph about their recent findings but no link to the report itself (but a link can be found for previous versions on the first link provided above).

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
i totally disagree with the 1 in 6 figure . i believe from personal observations its more likely 7 out of 10 americans. in my community of roughly 100000 everyone except the professionals make roughly 20000 a year or less.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join