It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do We Accept Dreams as Reality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I am a lucid dreamer, but there are times while in a dream I am not aware that I am dreaming, and accept what is transpiring as reality. Is it the unawareness that allows for acceptance or something else?

I am sure I will get many people’s views on this and why each one of us seems to be aware or unaware of when we are dreaming, but the fact remains, why do we accept it as reality?

It’s interesting when in a dream I become aware that I am dreaming and completely lucid, at that point I went from accepting the dream to controlling it’s every scene and event.

Also what I have found in lucid dreaming is that when I find text, letters, numbers or anything written, while focusing on them they change before my dreaming eyes. This is one of my triggers or signal to myself I am dreaming.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Its because most people do not understand how to analyse, and all of us live in our own world.

Hardly anyone has an analytical brain, maybe due to all the rubbish in life or maybe not.

For all you females, do not just take feelings or dreams, like you do and think they are real, you have to analyze. This is one of the reasons why males are only priests.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

wooow. Where did that come from? The OP was talking about sleeping and how we usually don't realize its a dream, and I've always wondered that too. I try to go to sleep and think "I'm going to know its a dream this time and control it" but I dont think it ever worked.

Or maybe you're right, only men can distinguish dreams from reality, right? Oh and btw, women can't be priests because they don't like to have sex with little boys

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Well my two cents: sometimes not controlling the dreams may be beneficial as well. There are some signals from our subconcious or higher self that surface and then all You need to do
is to interprete/translate it to your waking life situation...know its not always easy, but we must try.

Personally I have the periods when the lucid dreams comes in the series and sometimes not one single in the weeks...maybe I try too hard??

For the mind being decieved- I think its the same like with the oficial propaganda, all MSM in general- our brain(some part of it) tries to make up some "realistic" explanation and stories to the strange, imposible things going on in our dreams just like the black magicians of propaganda try make us believe crocked politicians...
If it was only that easy to change our waking live reality the way we can sometimes change the dreams...

Originally posted by andy1033
Its because most people do not understand how to analyse, and all of us live in our own world.

Hardly anyone has an analytical brain, maybe due to all the rubbish in life or maybe not.

For all you females, do not just take feelings or dreams, like you do and think they are real, you have to analyze. This is one of the reasons why males are only priests.

Well it changes and in many ancien religions there was the priestesses...
That has more to do with the patriarchal society we inherited from some Semitic tribes and the Romans.
Anyway some women are the pain in the...back but its not the reason to become misogynist

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I have to agree with this statement as well, not controlling is also very good too.

Just remember there are no right or wrong answers to my questions, just your personal input and wisdom.

Originally posted by ZenOnKwalsky
Well my two cents: sometimes not controlling the dreams may be beneficial as well. There are some signals from our subconcious or higher self that surface and then all You need to do
is to interprete/translate it to your waking life situation...know its not always easy, but we must try.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Honestly, I have no idea why.

Probably because our mind can't distinguish when we're sleeping or awake. However, there's a catch. Our tactile senses doesn't seem to work when we're dreaming. I tried pinching myself in a dream once and I didn't feel anything.

This probably means that our tactile senses aren't as high-up in the priorities of our brain. Then again, it's just an assumption since the homunculus model debunks it. Then again, it's more of a physical sense so the brain operates in more in an electrical way when we're using our senses both awake and asleep. Then again... I dunno. I'll just keep debunking myself.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Edit for double post.

I don't know why I kept being redirected to the ATS News.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Unregistered]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by afterschoolfun

Manners please. Not all priests are chi mos. Kind of offensive...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by afterschoolfun

I am trying to explain that we need to analyse. Everyone lives in there own world, and that is what the op was describing. Not knowing if your dreaming during waking hours or not.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It sure would be nice to stay on topic instead of straying, like we do in dreams.

This is exactly what happens in dreams too, we get side tracked by something and lose our awareness or sense of self.

It's not good or bad just, back to the original question.

Why do we accept dreams as reality?

How many of you wake up and think, What the heck was that I just dreamed and why did I not realize I was dreaming?

Sometimes dreams are so far from our everyday life, that it amazes me we don't stop and realize the differences.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Sometimes dreams can be reality, you know the expression sleep on it, there is definitely something to that, I also have a lot of lucid dreams, not aware of anything triggering it though, I just become aware suddenly and like you Realtruth I am able to direct it. Upon wakening in the morning is the best time to remember your dreams and keeping a journal is good thing or you lose it..there can be messages.

new topics

top topics

join