It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*How do you feel about the use of newborns DNA for scientific studies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
President Bush last signed into law a bill which will see the federal government begin to screen the DNA of all newborn babies in the U.S. a move critics have described as the first step towards the establishment of a national DNA database.

Described as a "national contingency plan" the justification for the new law S. 1858, known as The Newborn Screening Saves Lives Act of 2007, is that it represents preparation for any sort of "public health emergency."

The bill states that the federal government should "continue to carry out, coordinate, and expand research in newborn screening" and "maintain a central clearinghouse of current information on newborn screening… ensuring that the clearinghouse is available on the Internet and is updated at least quarterly".

Sections of the bill also make it clear that DNA may be used in genetic experiments and tests.

[edit on 10/20/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Personally I question WHAT national contingency plan?
WHAT, preparation for any sort of public health emergency?
WHAT TYPE OF GENETIC TESTING, CLONES???????????????W/O CONSENT are they doing.

I am not sure this thread has been created before, if so my bad. Also mods if placed in wrong location please move.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
They have been doing this for years. I believe the representative from Minnesota was arguing about that a few years ago. Yep, everytime a child is born DNA is extracted and put into the Elite Organ Donor Database. Kind of like the China Organ Database. How about that for a conspiracy. Or they research all the DNA to see if they can find cures for diseases and if you produce antibodies for lets say Lou Gherigs and an Elite needs a cure, zip then you are gone.

Not so far fetched, look at the missing and slave trade thread. 800,000 children disappear every year.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
i'm all for it.... the world and its stock of people would be much better off without the huge burdon genetically flawed people (so that it causes medical suffering) and thats before you even consider the huge benifit many people would gain through never being born -many, many people will only live short painfull lives simply because of copy errors in their conception -if we could stop those painful errors then surely it would be great thing for everyone involved -certainly for the child who rather than being born crippled for life and doomed to nohing but pain is born healthy and vigarous.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Man I seen this on the news and felt like a str8 loser for not knowing this, especially if they use genetic codes off peoples offspring and clone them like on aliens when Ripley seen her old messed up clones, SMH THIS AINT A GOOD LOOK and I wonder how far back this goes.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

But to whom should be granted the right to determine for someone else what is a burden, or what is medical suffering?

Being one of the genetically "flawed" myself, the idea of someone else believing they should have the right to make a determination like that for me as to whether or not I (or anyone else, for that matter) should have been born quite frankly gives me the shivers.

It was probably fortunate that the fact that I even had a genetic condition wasn't discovered until fairly recently. I have none of the congenital cardiac or kidney complications that can result from the genetic condition. But those with who aren't as healthy, and who do need greater medical care than simply routine check-ups and taking hormones also deserve to have their lives. I wouldn't want to have had my life with my husband, my family, my friends, and my work taken away, to not ever have existed because of someone else's determination!

And who is to say that those who do have brief, physically painful lives...which can also still be lives filled with beauty and love and joy that touch the lives of others...aren't valuable and should be taken away?

Just food for thought!

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Ariel]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
See my whole issue is if my children are cloned for some lets say SPACE MILITARY I WONT KNOW, that bothers me. Or if they are repopulating another planet with them wouldnt know, WORST CASE USING CLONES FOR FOOD AND ORGANS. To me this isnt right but it does signal that there is definetly something BAD brewing if you gotta keep a genetic library of newborn baby blood. Now, I am sure there is somthing bad going on if you need to keep genetic info for a national contingency plan, still SMH @ THIS A CONTENGENCY PLAN FOR WHAT EMERGENCY???????

new topics

top topics

join