It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BNP and cyberactivism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Quite often, while reading through the many different post on ATS, the subject of Racism pops up. Obviously this is a very sensitive issue for most people... passions can often run high as people discuss a topic that can often stab at the very heart of what it is to be an ethical human. Some people get angry some people get sad, some people quote statistics, others argue with their heart.
I honestly feel that this is good for the human race; we need to get all these emotions out and in the open even if they are uncomfortable to discuss.

However... One worrying trend I have noticed is that of the Racist Troll. They often try to hijack threads regarding racism towards ethnic minorities. Often with the same type of garbage spewed out.
For example... If there is a post regarding a Black man who was attacked by Racist thugs they will try to justify the attack by listing crimes committed by ethnic minorities on White people. Why do they do that??? People are well aware that ALL people (black, white, whatever) are capable of crimes!!! No one ever suggests that people from ethnic minorities are incapable of racism and/or crime... so why do Racist’s smugly provide us with these story’s as if it’s going to be some kind of amazing revelation that will open our eyes to the injustice’s against the white man!!

Like im gonna say “what?? A black man rapped a white woman??? Well that explains why the KKK set fire to churches full of Black family’s then... sign me up today” I mean... really... are people that stupid??

Another tactic seems to be bringing peoples patriotism into question... almost suggesting that if you don’t agree with their racist views you are somehow a traitor. Again this is just a transparent attempt to bully you into their viewpoint.

I have also seen poster being accused of lying when they have spoken of personal experience of racism... I mean come on... how dare someone accuse another of lying when there is no proof, the story is not farfetched, and there is no discrepancy’s in the story!! It’s rude and disruptive... and I feel it is a deliberate attempt to derail a topic!!

Another thing I have noticed (although this is mainly when dealing with posts regarding racism in Britain) is that when you click on the Trolls name, to view their profile, you sometimes find that the person has been involved in very few posts and is often a new (ish) member of ATS!!

I then discovered this on the BNP website...

bnp.org.uk...

What is cyberactivism?

This simply means using the Internet to good effect in making complaints, defending the truth and making those who claim to represent us listen to the voice of patriotic Britons. It means using email, chat and message forums, local and national online newspapers, TV Channel websites, and social networking websites to influence decision making, bring about change and ensure that our voice is not overlooked or underestimated.

That is the BNP own statement on the issue of Cyberactivism!!
However, I have found references to acts even more worrying...

www.harrowtimes.co.uk... " target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.harrowtimes.co.uk...

If you read the comments section of the above link you will find the following...

Warning** The above two messages may be from the BNP's Cyberactivism team pretending to be ordinary local people who find they are siding with the BNP.

Now this, if true, is really worrying!!! Do we have an army of BNP activist searching the web for relevant words... and then hijacking websites and forums, using deception and disinformation tactics to derail topics for their own political agenda?!?!
I, after being involved in many discussions regarding Racism, am starting to believe that this is true. I believe that most far right extremist groups are employing these tactics and I also believe that we have seen examples of this on ATS. I will not provide links to the threads, that I believe this happened in, because it would be unfair for me to single people out without further proof... however, I would urge you search the forums yourself and make up your own mind.

To be honest though i do not feel that this is a massive threat to multicultural cohesion... just a bloody nuisance!!!

So... to summarise my thoughts...

I believe that members of the BNP and other far right groups are deliberately infiltrating websites and forums, under false identity’s, with the intension of disrupting and corrupting any topic that does not agree with their ideology.

I believe they use tactics which include the following...

List crimes against White people in an attempt to lessen the shock/disgust of a crime against a person of ethnic origin.

Question the patriotism of those who do not agree with them

Accuse those who have had person experience of lying

Being generally rude and disruptive during a debate

I believe that ATS has been infiltrated and threads hijacked on numerous occasions

I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this matter...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I completely agree with you, Muckster. I have seen what I think are concerted efforts to derail threads or justify racist behavior or thoughts.

It's a shame that we cannot trust that people are who they say they are, but it's something that we all should be aware of. And it's not just in racism threads. I believe that there are cyber activists in any political ideology.

So, since we, as single members, can't do much to stop it, I think it's our job to either ignore it or stand up to it and refute it with facts. But most importantly, we need to recognize it and realize that it is happening. And report it when appropriate.

I also agree with you that we have SO much more to discuss when it comes to racism. The longer we sweep it under the rug and pretend like it doesn't exist, the more it festers and becomes dangerous.

Great post. Thank you!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you Benevolent Heretic

To honest i was half expecting to be flamed to pieces after posting this, so it’s a very nice surprise to see the first reply is a positive one... thanks.

I also agree that we have to refute the garbage with facts... but it can become very tiresome when arguing with someone who is completely brainwashed and stuck in their ways.

Now I suppose I’ve gotta brace for impact... Bring on the trolls

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I agree with everything said. I have seen people cause trouble in threads and admit they support the BNP, whether they are party activists or not is unknown. Personally i think the tactics of calling people liars when they relate a story or saying the victim of a crime was asking for it are utterly immoral.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Funnilly enough this came to my attention today. I was sent a link to an article on the dailymail site about Griffin likening military officials to Nazis, and was stunned to see that in the comments/feedback section each and every non pro BNP comment was negatively marked and every pro, and often racist, comment was marked positive.

I know, in general terms, the average dailymail reader is centred a little to the right, but the sheer inbalance is ridiculous and can only be the result of some sort of orchestrated plan by the party and its supporters.

I find the whole thing abhorrent and am cautiously looking forward to Nick Griffin being destroyed on Question Time this week. I have an underlying fear that it will end in a farce however, and garner them even more attention.

Link

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
ImaginaryReality1984

I agree... it sometimes baffles me how peoples thought process works. But then I am not a troll and don’t bother with disruptive tactics, if there is an opinion I disagree with. These are desperate tactics used by a desperate party, and its followers, who cannot use reason in their arguments, so instead, resort to petty insults and repetitive arguments.

Antony270381

Nick Griffins comments regarding the British army generals almost sounded like a threat... Likening them to Nazi war criminals and then saying

"Those Tory generals who today attacked the British National Party should remember that at the Nuremburg (sic) Trials, the politicians and generals accused of waging illegal aggressive wars were all charged - and hanged - together,"

What a disgusting thing to say... Even though he is trying to say that this is due to an illegal war in Iraq I think his intentions are far more sinister and he is basically threatening those that oppose him...

You are correct that most daily Mail readers are centred to the right... even those who are firmly entrenched to the right cannot stand the BNP... check out Peter Hitchens blog (although I have to say. i do not agree with Peter Hitchens political view points but at least it givse you an idea of how bad the BNP are if a man like Hitchens hates them)

hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk...
I am also looking forward to Thursday, although there is part of me that thinks this man should be given no platform to air his views... however, freedom of speach and all that... i too hope they destroy him. This could also backfire depending on who they have in the audience...

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Muckster]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Antony270381

Funnilly enough this came to my attention today. I was sent a link to an article on the dailymail site about Griffin likening military officials to Nazis, and was stunned to see that in the comments/feedback section each and every non pro BNP comment was negatively marked and every pro, and often racist, comment was marked positive.

OK I’ve just checked this out... I can’t believe it... it’s SO obvious. The BNP really do have low intelligence if they think people will fall for a stunt like that...

Disgusting party

top topics

join