It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can you kill an animal by hand?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Yeah I've seen that vid a hundred times....

The hunter most likely covered himself in deer urine, from a female deer in estrus (Heat) that was no deer attack that young buck was trying to mount what smelled to him, an in heat female deer.... Watch his rear as he takes on the humping posture... Deer attack head down to use those antlers

nope not an assault on a hunter, just another horny deer...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by PSUSA

I just had to come back and say NEEEETT upon you.

Love your avatar man. The best comedy movie ever.

The dreaded three headed knight, the fiercest monster for YAAUURDS around.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by justine093

larger animals, it would be suggested to climb a tree with a spear or a knife and drop out onto the animal and try to slit it's throat. A deer or any other large animal can seriously hurt you!!

And jumping out of a tree with a spear or blade is safe?

I'm sorry, but that's funny!

Now THAT would have made a great Monty Python skit!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by DaddyBare

There is another possibility to that video... deer can become extremely addicted to tobacco. Ask any tobacco grower and they will tell you that once a deer gets accustomed to eating tobacco leaves, it will kill to get more!

It's possible the guy was a smoker or chewer and had tobacco on him. And that the deer wanted it. Bad!

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
No i can not do this, i remember having a dog in bad shape, and in some form it would have been better for him to die quickly, but i would never of thought of doing it.

I know people who live in countryside, can kill animals quicker, but even the smallest thing like spider, i just put outside.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Can I? YES
Have I? YES
Wasn't happy about it, but I can do it.
In any given situation, I can do what I need to do. Thats all that matters.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Learn something new every day...
WE don't have wild tobacco here in the southwest at least not where I am, to dry... but we do have things like loco weed and witch grass that would have the same effect... thanks I hadn't thought of that...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
that is why i carry a flamethrower with me. cooks them up good so they are ready to eat. for bigger animals i use a handy dandy hand grenade. sometimes it is cool though to sneak up on a dumb animal with a chainsaw. be sure to wear a michael meyers mask to keep little bits hitting your face plus those animals will just stand there and think what the heck when they see the mask. then you chainsaw them good. iif a woodchipper is available then you have fresh ground meat. dont try a slingshot on a mad grizzly bear though. they get really upset and will chase you.

[edit on 20/10/09 by Brain Damaged]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I know a guy who killed a fair size pig with a knife and I don't think he wants to try that again. It beat him up pretty good including dragging him into a few fence posts
I'd have liked to have seen that. -He's of course really proud of it.

I'd say if anyone's really curious about it, give it a try. I've been close enough to touch deer if I really wanted to numerous times. Trying any kind of Tarzan move was the furthest thing from my mind, they will hurt you.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yes you can, The problem is you have to catch the animal first. Im sure someone somewhere has tricked a deer into running into a narrow canyon with friends waiting, or a pit that they dug for that very purpose of trapping.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Overall it seems a lot easier to me in a post-apocalyptic survival scenario to learn to raise domesticated animals. Rabbits (in cages so you don't have to chase them), chickens and even cows would be fairly easy to use as a source of meat.

If you just get dropped in the wilderness for some reason I would think a snare and a big stick to hit 'em with would be the most practical thing.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I had a deer wounded by a shot 3 years ago hunting. I tracked him for about a quarter mile. He was down so I walked up to him.

Right then he came to life and beat the crap out of me. Broke 2 ribs and gave me a nasty concussion. It was very much like the scene in a previous post. He ran off after pummeling me to his satisfaction and never saw him again.

This wasn't even a big deer..

Don't mess with wild animals, they will mess your whole world up every time.

The best way to get food is to set traps. I would bring like dried corn and such with you for trapping. There are dozens of survival books that teach you how to make very good traps.

USE THEM, don't ever try to take an animal out with your bare hands!

[edit on 21-10-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm not sure one would ever want to take on a full-grown Buck with antlers bare-handed, but you could certainly catch a deer off-guard...especially using it's natural sense of fight or flight against it by herding it into the path of someone lying in wait for it. Catching one alone would be difficult, but two or three people working together would be significantly easy (although both exhausting and dangerous). Taking down something of that size would be a significant drain on one person, but with two or three, it would be relatively easy.

Killing an animal with one's bare hands is definitely not easy at all when the prey is prone to flee, but is significantly much easier to do when one is considered the prey and attacked. Predators that attack you are much easier to kill with one's bare hands than trying to catch a docile animal that is on the run. Mammals are mammals are mammals. We all have the same basic neurological systems which has the same vulnerabilities. When attacked, we can easily turn from prey to predator using that knowledge of our common vulnerabilities, even when armed with nothing other than our bare hands.

However, being attacked by desperate predators is hardly something you can bank upon in a survival situation. You just have to think creatively to catch docile prey instead, even if they are going to run.

Although I can't personally do it, my 12 year old daughter has no problem catching wild rabbits all the time...she instinctively knows to bear hug it to keep it from kicking it's way back to freedom too. I know people catch chickens and pigs the same way by hand as you can catch a rabbit, but if you've ever watched someone try to catch any of the above by hand it is the most hysterical (and exhausting) things to watch.

And some things, like Wild Turkey, are insanely fast. I've seen them out-run and out-maneuver dogs before. I salute anyone who has ever caught one by hand. However, a word of advice, don't even think about Peacocks...you'd be better off going hungry for a day than trying to kill one of those bare-handed. They might seem pretty and slow, but they are as almost as violently vicious as a Koala Bear when provoked. I fear Peacocks (and Koalas) more than I would ever fear Bears or Mountain Lions.

Another animal to stay away from trying to hunt with your bare hands would be wild Boar. Even armed they are more likely to kill you than be killed. Even when shot with a deadly shot, if they are still in motion towards you, you can consider yourself following suit.

Personally, unless it's dead of winter and I'm starving, I'm most likely going to be living off the land by gathering or growing, getting my protein elsewhere than meat. It's easier to catch a berry on the vine than it is to catch a squirrel with one's bare hands.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

I killed a wild hog with a knife, but I had dogs helping me. It is called "pig sticking", and is a common practice in Texas. Killing a wild hog with a knife and no dogs, is totally insane.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ok as others have said, no NOT try and fight a wild animal! The last thing you need in a survival situation where you have limited medical treatment options is a deep bite or scratch or even enough blunt trauma from a kick to cause internal bleeding or a broken bone! Most people don't know how much pain a deeply bruised muscle can cause, believe me it's bad and pain in a survival situation can be very demoralising.

You have a brain and the ability to make tools for a good reason, don't regress into primitive ancestors. If you want food, and assuming you don't have a firearm then you need to increase your odds of getting something. Stalking is hit and miss so it is best to combine methods.

Set a load of simple snares, they're easy to make and if placed correctly are brilliant. Combine that with maybe some baited deadfalls for small animals like squirrels. Throw in a baited fishing line attached to a post that you can just leave for the day, or a net if you have one and you have really given yourself a good chance of dinner with minimal energy expended.

If yuo want to go all out then build a big animal trap. However do NOT do this without having practiced it first, these traps can kill bears and deer so they can most certainly kill you. If you set up this kind of trap then you have to know where it is, as does anyone in your group and it is worth marking trees with ribbon, tape or your knife to warn others. If you're trying to hide then fine don't do that but i think it's worth doing.

Remember when walking around to do all this you can still look out for edible plants, once again maximising the amount done for the calories expended. You could also make a spear or bow after all that just in case you get lucky.

When it comes to sneaking up on wild animals i have only done this 3 times and it was just a case of practicing my stalking skills. I had no intention of grabbing the animal. Even a wild rabbit can bite hard and scratch and getting an infection is not something you want. In years of hunting i've only done this a few times though. It's better to sit in wait, blending in, downwind and not moving.

I managed to sneak up on rabbits, each time during the summer when they were low to the ground sunning themselves. They seem to go into a coma when donig that sometimes. I remember once i spent about 5 minutes slowly creeping up on a rabbit, across gravel. Moving that slowly actually takes a lot of energy as you have your weight suspended sometimes on one foot with the knee bent.

I managed to get close enough to prod the poor thing with my rifle, it didn't feel sporting to shoot it at such close range lol.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
reply to post by beezwaxes

I killed a wild hog with a knife, but I had dogs helping me. It is called "pig sticking", and is a common practice in Texas. Killing a wild hog with a knife and no dogs, is totally insane.

I have heard of people doing this and i'm sorry but it's insane! Ok if something went wrong then you could get medical attention, in a survival situation you can't. Wild hogs are seriously dangerous beasts.

In a survival situation why would you bother risking it? I mean if you can get close enough to stab it with a knife then you can easily get it with a spear or a bow. In fact if wild hogs are in your area then a big deadfall trap will catch one with minimal risk to yourself.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Hi! Snakes are easy to find and kill with a hoe. Learn to like snake.
Mouse traps for your BOB. Fish, catch with fishing tackle or a net. Get a
dog who likes to hunt the bushes for birds. My dog would share.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I would bet some of the huge UFC fighters would have no problem killing an animal by hand.
Imagine brock lesnar wrestling a bear, poor bear

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Funny how things work I remember reading this thread from a few days ago and just got an email forwarded to me. Gives a perspective on taking game by hand plus its a fun read enjoy. I take no credit for this it was forwarded on to me and author unknown.

Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:43 AM
Subject: Roping A Deer - FYI - Do Not Try This At Home

ROPING A DEER
Author unknown - probably for good reason

Actual letter from someone who farms, writes well and tried this:

I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up
on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step
in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they
congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me
when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at
the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away),
it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over
its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The
cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were
not having any of it. After about 20
minutes, my deer showed up-- 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking
one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer
just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist
and twisted the end so I would have a good hold.

The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was
mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards
it, it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope .., and then
received an education. The first thing that I learned is that, while a
deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they
are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED. The second thing I learned is that pound for pound,
a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that
weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity. A
deer -- no chance.

That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no
controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off
my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me
that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had
originally imagined. The only upside is that they do not have as much
stamina as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk
me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few
minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing
out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for
corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end
of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it
would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no
love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing,
and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual.
Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had
cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various
large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think
clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared
some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in. I
didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get
it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I
had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in
there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite?

They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would
bite somebody, so I was very surprised when ... I reached up there to
grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer
bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you
and then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head--almost like a pit
bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and
draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was
ineffective.

It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but
it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though
you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it. While I kept it
busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left
hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on
their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and
their hooves are surprisingly sharp. I learned a long time ago that,
when an animal --like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you
can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise
and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause
them to back down a bit so you can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would
not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different
strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run. The reason
I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws
at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back
of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides
being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned
to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not
immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has
passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on
you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering
your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away. So
now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a
scope to sort of even the odds.

All these events are true so help me God... An Educated Rancher

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
In a survival situation i wouldnt want to risk getting cut open and then getting a very bad infection that would be very diffucult to treat.

even without tools there are plenty of ways of catching large prey, without even being in the area.

the simplest is a pit. dig it with a stick, quite deep. vertical walls. and put pointy sticks at the bottom. and cover with thin twigs and leaves.

any good survival book will give you plenty of different designs, from the simplest /\ to incredidbly complex and bizzare.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join