It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1929 And Today - Sobering Parallels Abound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

When was the last time you saw stocks (NYSEArca: VTI - News), bonds (NYSEArca: AGG) and commodities (NYSEArca: DBC - News) move in sync for nearly two years?

When was the last time asset allocation did not really provide the diversification and protection it was supposed to?

When was the last time, a ten year investment in the stock market delivered negative returns?

Investors that care to harken back 80 years will find that the 1929 - 1932 era is the only period of time that compares to today. In fact, the parallels between now and then are bountiful and scary.

finance.yahoo.com...

This is an interesting article. It reiterates a lot of the things that others have said, but it really puts this sucker's rally into perspective. Its just too bad I am not riding this rally on its way up, but I will be glad I got nothing in the market on its way down. I already experienced that last year.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

Star and flag for fresh doom...plus your avatar is cute.

Second line designation alpha 14.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I would say it is a sucker's rally except for one thing. Insurance Companies.

That is provided that:

1) Health Care Reform passes and there is no public (gov't ran) option.
2) There is no rate cap to what insurance companies can charge as a premium for policies.

If this puppy passes, look to see the value of various companies rise due to the created demand for the service they supply. Investors seem to need a bubble for a ground floor entry to make quick bucks. Unfortunately as the masses grow wise, they have to move to a new product to start over.

Still in a wait and see mode right now, but if those two conditions are met...that is where I am thinking of doing a 1-3 year safe bet.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
your puppy looks exactly like mine...good stuff

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

For sure. This is the worst economic times since the Great Depression. Oh, wait, yeah, it is, but it's not as bad. No, it's worse. Heh. Who do you believe?

My assessment is that it is worse (no we haven't seen it all, yet), and we haven't seen the worst of it, yet.

This is a brand new situation. We are already at war. (the U.S., I am speaking about), and the S has HTF,. Yeah, economically, perhaps a major world war might get us out of this all, but, uh, we don't have the industrial base to create all the machines necessary to carry out a major war. Oh, wait. How silly of me. We have the old rusty factories in Detroit to utilize to create vehicles and such. NOT. However, with so many idle bodies ( unemployment at about 10%, if you believe that low ball figure) there are lots of bodies to push into war.

This is a New World. I don't see the Order in it, but this is a New World.
I'm still looking for the HOPE.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
And keep in mind that this year is the 80-year anniversary of the 1929 crash and it has been demonstrated that events flow in 20-year, 30-year, 40-year and more time cycles, in which major events that start and are imprinted into the time cycles are repeated in those aforementioned cycles.

The stock market records actually has proof of that. Google " master time factor " and be surprised.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

His name is Gizmo, and if the government agents come looking for me because I express my opinion on this site, I will blame him.

I just don't understand why people are such sheep. Example, Caterpillar's profits drop by 53% and the market and the talking heads spin this into GOOD NEWS. I have seen so many stories about a company's income drop drastically, but because of cost cutting measures, they didn't do as bad as expected.

Reality check: Cost cutting = layoffs. If you are not selling as much of your product you do not need to make as much of it; therefore, you need less people and supplies to produce it. Ramifications, the people you employ get a pink slip, and your suppliers get smaller orders. Result, your suppliers layoff employees.

Outcome: More unemployed people.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
Its just too bad I am not riding this rally on its way up, but I will be glad I got nothing in the market on its way down. I already experienced that last year.

You mean you lost a lot last year?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Yea, I was trying to day trade (very bad idea) and I was doing alright, but when the market collapsed, I lost about $20,000. I had all kinds of bad exposure, e.g. Fanny Mae, WaMu, etc...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred

For sure. This is the worst economic times since the Great Depression. Oh, wait, yeah, it is, but it's not as bad. No, it's worse. Heh. Who do you believe?

I think I sum it up pretty well in this post.

Lows of the depression surpassed in some grim areas

There are many other negative factors I have covered in my post called
"Financial Collapse Summary" some are mentioned in the link above.

More bad news has come out since then.

The all time highest 90 day window for foreclosure rates happened
just recently, the highest rate in over 230 years.

My best advice is get closer to those your close to and prepare to
hunker down and if possible outside any of the major cities.

Get in shape, get a bug out bag, learn to be able to defend youself,
and consider some used but decent body armor.

The 1,000+ cargo ships sitting cold iron screams shortages are
coming at some point.

As others have said if some lunatic goes all james earl ray, it will
likely tear apart what little threads still hold the country intact.

Good Luck to you all !

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
reply to post by pluckynoonez

I just don't understand why people are such sheep.

I'd like to extrapolate on that statement...LOL

Payday Monsanto - We are the Sheeple of Amerika

I listen to it almost every day and still laugh in horror.

new topics

top topics

join