It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Analysis of an Anomalous Image Filmed during Apollo 16

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
First, I tried to do a search to see if this topic/subject had been broached and the ATS Search function is somewhat difficult to use so I'm just going for it. If you recognize that a thread has been posted, please include the thread title and I'll try to get the Mods to remove this one.

I was just viewing videotapes that I made in the late '90s when I accessed the Internet via WebTV which allowed me record to my VCR. One of the interesting articles I found was by Donald B. Ratsch titled APOLLO 16 which deals with footage taken by one of the astronauts of a circular object over the moon.

Since I still don't know how to post photos on here from my hard drive I have to rely on images found on the web and provide the URL. So, go to this page and you'll see a frame from the Apollo 16 footage:
aboutfacts.net...

If you've been around UFOlogy for a while you may recognize the image and maybe remember the "brouhaha" over its interpretation including James Oberg who seems to have now changed his interpretation of the object being Earth to possibly what it seems to be: a UFO.

I tried to find the article on the web that I have on my videotape which I think was on rense.com when the website was called SIGHTINGS but a search at rense.com failed to provide it and I put my videotape away so it could have been another website. However, although Mr Ratsch's article may not be found on the web, another person, a researcher named Hiroshi Nakamura, took on the challenge and had a 24-page article published in the Journal of Scientifc Exploration, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 409–433, 2003. The article can be found at the URL I provide below under Video Analysis...

But before you go to Mr Nakamura's article, take a detour and visit NASA's page on the subject and see how they try to insult your intelligence.

UFO No Longer Unidentified
www.nasa.gov...

Video Analysis of an Anomalous Image Filmed during Apollo 16 by HIROSHI NAKAMURA - www.scientificexploration.org...

Whose explanation do you accept, NASA's or Mr Nakamura's?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skeptical EdSince I still don't know how to post photos on here from my hard drive I have to rely on images found on the web and provide the URL.

Tutorial: Using the My pictures section

or

Click on the members tools button towards the top of the page. In the menu click on My Pictures. If you don't have an account, create one. Otherwise, log-in.

On the left under where it says My Account, click on Upload / Change Photos. Now click on Upload Photo.

You get a page where you can put in a caption and a description (both are optional I believe). There's a Browse button under Upload Photo. Click on it.

Locate the image on your computer. Double click on it then click on Add Photo!

You photo is now uploaded. Simply click on it and you have some options located under the image. If you'd like to post it in the thread, copy the code located in the box under Embed on ATS and then paste that code into thread and you get this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fb1efcf5cfbb.jpg[/atsimg]

If the image is too big it will appear cut-off. Simply remove the letters ats from the part of the image code that says atsimg and /atsimg and then it will add scroll bars to the image.

I don't see how I can make that anymore clear.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by nightmare_david]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I accept NASA's explanation, hands down.

It comes down to basic simplicity, really. NASA has a side-by-side comparison of the anomaly and their explanation, and the two are identical.

Conversely, Mr. Nakamura has a lot of analysis, facts, figures and pictures, but is still forced to guess the object's actual dimensions and the speed it's traveling, relative to the camera.

You made some pretty scathing comments about how NASA's obviously insulting our intelligence by giving us exactly what we wanted, which was an explanation for the anomaly. Makes me wonder, if any kind of Disclosure were to happen, why would anyone believe it?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Well Nasa's explanation seems very credible. Those two pictures right next to one another look very convincing. And I gotta admit, I didn't want to read a zillion pages of data for the other side of the theory. I am a believer in other life out there. But in this case I really didn't think I needed to read all those pages of data for the other side of the arguement, because NASA's version just makes so much sense in this case.

Even so, this was a neat thread. Someday when I have an extra thirty minutes or so I eill read the other paper you have included.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Skeptical Ed

i think this is the video...

Google Video Link

link
see free_spirit's post here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

James Oberg who seems to have now changed his interpretation of the object being Earth to possibly what it seems to be: a UFO.

please explain , thanks

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I accept Mr Nakamura's explanation no question. In the pictures obtained from another NASA site the object is not even included and why not? Was it airbrushed out?

Of course such things even if proven and backed by clear scientific facts will only be believed according to ones own belief system.

Some require a good probing to believe in the "alien" presence, or perhaps a collision between their vehicle and a probe.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
If that's Earth, then how come it seems like they're trying NOT to get it on camera when it comes into view?

It comes into view and the camera quickly moves to the left. It slowly pans back and you get a little peak of it still being there and they pan away real quick again. They pan back towards it again, it's no longer in view so now they keep filming in that direction. IMHO it even looks like he was hesitating to shoot the camera in that direction again. Like he's thinking "Is it there? Is it there? No longer there...whewww... I can return to filming that area now".

Just my opinion

[edit on 19-10-2009 by nightmare_david]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EsSeeEye
I accept NASA's explanation, hands down.

It comes down to basic simplicity, really. NASA has a side-by-side comparison of the anomaly and their explanation, and the two are identical.

Conversely, Mr. Nakamura has a lot of analysis, facts, figures and pictures, but is still forced to guess the object's actual dimensions and the speed it's traveling, relative to the camera.

You made some pretty scathing comments about how NASA's obviously insulting our intelligence by giving us exactly what we wanted, which was an explanation for the anomaly. Makes me wonder, if any kind of Disclosure were to happen, why would anyone believe it?

Maybe they didn't insult your intelligence with their explanation and photo comparison but they insulted mine because anyone can see that if the object was really part of the command module, the CM would be seen since it is attached to the boom. Additionally, the CM would have been visible to the astronaut and he would have included it in his footage. What we see where the CM would be is a possible lens flare as seen on the right edge of the frame.

Go here and see a 6-second video and see if you still accept that it's the CM boom thing (use pause for almost frame-by-frame): www.metacafe.com...

Or at YouTube: www.youtube.com...
Use full-frame for a better view.

While you're at YouTube, look at: www.youtube.com... You'll see a white "orb"-like object moving over the lunar surface also filmed during Apollo 16 and catch the flash from the crater's right edge. I have a clearer version of this video footage and in addition to the flash, before the flash, you see a light right in the center of the dark crater. If you could see my version, in 3 frames a light comes on, brightens and then blanks out. UFOs over the moon filmed by NASA astronauts. NOT the command module boom.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow

i think this is the video...

see free_spirit's post here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

James Oberg who seems to have now changed his interpretation of the object being Earth to possibly what it seems to be: a UFO.

please explain , thanks

Yes, that is the video and this longer version is better than the 6-second video I gave the links for. As you can see, Astronaut Young's shooting is all over the place showing the areas on both sides of the moon and above it and there is no sign of any command module and you see the object moving away from the camera.

It is rare that Oberg changes his mind when it comes to UFOs and the letter he sent Mr. Nakamura was a private one and it's not available on the web. Perhaps if Mr Nakamura was contacted he would disclose why Oberg changed his mind.

Thanks for posting the video, it shoots NASA's explanation in the rear!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticantiseptic

In Mr Nakamura's opening paragraph he states that Oberg changed his mind due to work done by Jack Kasher. Back when the STS-48 video was the topic in all of the UFO forums and I joined in, I was convinced by Mr Kasher's explanation, in addition to my own eyes of course. But this was one instance that Oberg went against logic and he hasn't changed his mind. To him, the white objects were and are ice particles!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Yes I know that's the easy explanation. No fuss no mulling changing ones views on what were all about. But still, thanks for the awesome video and bringing this to the attention of the ATS community. Star and flag.

top topics

join