It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asthma Sufferers - What do we do when SHTF?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
My main concern in a situation x, SHTF scenario is my asthma.

How are we going to manage our asthma? What would we do if we have an attack and hospitals are closed/destroyed?

The logical thing would be to stock up on our medications, get a nice 6+ month supply.

There is one major problems with this:

Most pharmacy's/insurance will not allow you to have more than a month's supply.

I have thought that in a bad enough SHTF scenario I am going to have to knock off a pharmacy for my asthma meds.

This is what I have come up with so far:

1. Online Pharmacy's

I have slightly browsed the web and there does seem to be some online pharmacy's that will sell you multiple albuterol inhalers, I am not listing any links encase it conflicts with T&C plus I have not used any so I wouldn't be able to recommend any.

2. Talk to your doctor.

One of the main drugs they give you if you go into the emergency room having an asthma attack is prednisone. It is almost a miracle drug for asthma. I can be almost ready to pass out due to lack of oxygen and if I take a few prednisone in twenty minutes I'm clear and breathing like a champ.

I am going to ask him for prednisone and anything else he may recommend for emergency asthma attacks. Prednisone has zero abuse potential and you cannot really overdose from it so I may have a chance.

I know of two things that are over the counter that will help with attacks a bit.

1. Bronculators - Mini Thins, Ephedrine. It's not the best drug for asthma but it's easy to acquire legally and stock up on.

Source

2. Coffee - Caffeine has been found to dilate bronchial tubes. No paper work or bureaucratic laws involved, stock up on as much as you want.

Source

My question to my fellow ATSers:

Do you know of any natural ways to cure asthma attacks?

Please only list remedy's that you have personally tried and do not list natural remedy's for asthma maintenance.

Once again, this thread is for known solutions for severe asthma attack remedy's ONLY, the type that would put you in the hospital.

I'm looking forward to everyone's input, hopefully we can come up with some great solutions to give asthma suffers piece of mind.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I bear no responsibility for the following statement.

Cider vinegar.
Not a cure, but it might help.

[edit on 10/19/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc
Cider vinegar.
Not a cure, but it might help.

Does this work for you?

There was a thread awhile back on this and I tried it and it made my asthma worse!

Anyways I appreciate your post!

Edit: Let me reiterate, I am hoping we can find solutions for ashtma attacks, not regular maintenance type remedy's.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

I don't have asthma, but I was suffering from a terrible bout of coughing.
It revealed it a lot.
I think I read the same thing as you, but I had heard of vinegar before that.
You are not supposed to drink it straight, by the way.
Did you?
That might explain why.
1pt vinegar
3pts water
No more than a few ounces.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Magnesium sulfate aka Epsom salt in a bot of boiling water lean over and inhale. It is a key ingredient fount in most inhalers. I suggest trying it before depending on in a emergency situation. My asthma is really mild but my grandmothers is sever. It also works great for colds, bronchitis, and is the recommended treatment for children under 2 with croup.
It also has tons of other uses that could come in handy in SitX.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I was just thinking the same thing recently...

a couple of weeks ago i had a pretty severe asthma attack im still hacking some stuff up, i didnt have an inhaler at the time al of mine were empty so i had to go to the doctors and it occurred to me what if this happens when there are no doctors or pharmacys around.

I guess il just try to stock up the best i can, my doctor doesnt give me much for my perscription just enough for the time and for emergencies.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Magnesium sulfate aka Epsom salt in a bot of boiling water lean over and inhale. It is a key ingredient fount in most inhalers. I suggest trying it before depending on in a emergency situation. My asthma is really mild but my grandmothers is sever. It also works great for colds, bronchitis, and is the recommended treatment for children under 2 with croup.
It also has tons of other uses that could come in handy in SitX.

Thanks for that!

The next time I get a little tight I will give it a try.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
When I'm starting to feel that my lungs are about to close, I use an inhaler so that the small amount of breathing that I still have can be used to inhale the med.

I also continuously used an inhaler before that was 5 years expired and it still managed to fix my asthma even though it' requires a few more puffs.

One way that I use to fix an asthma attack was to stand/sit-up and breathe deep when no regular medicine is around. Unfortunately, it can only take you so far so I look for a pill that is lying around in my medicine box that can help asthma attacks. I also have those odd inhaler types that uses a capsule with some powder in the box.

When worse comes to worse, I have a few nebulizers acquiring dust on storage if it's impossible to breathe in an inhaler. The only problem is that the nebules are also expired but that doesn't mean that they're useless. If I'm in deep trouble, I have a big oxygen tank with the required parts for me to use. Unfortunately, this one is also expired but still usable if I get desperate enough to use it.

I rarely get asthma attacks nowadays except with the occasional lung blockage when waking up in the morning so I never really have a need for anything but an inhaler and some good old experience.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Unregistered

I also have a nebulizer and the little vials for treatments.

This is the one medicine I can stockpile, I get a box of 25 vials prescribed every month and I don't really use them.

Bad thing is I need electricity to run my nebulizer.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Great thread S&F, i worry about the same thing myself.

Just wanted to say that as far as the caffine goes remember to keep chocolate handy too as it also contains caffine.

You can stock up on antihistamines like benadryl sold over the counter. Since most asthma attacks are the result of an allergic reaction antihistamines will help, they won't be as fast acting as an inhaler, but they will help.

One thing i've learned over the years is to try to remain as calm as possible and try to get someone to help you relax. It's hard not to panic when you can't breathe, but when you panic you tense up and your lungs tighten up more. If i have a family member around they will warm up their hand and rub my back which does help to relax me a little. Sometimes if i can relax enough i can turn an attack around.

I know you don't want maintainence, but in a SHTF situation you really do need to think about maintainence as it will greatly reduce attacks. Just keep handy and eat non inflamatory foods like oninons, vitamin C and foods that decrease mucus production like spicy foods, garlic, etc.

Go to an apocrathy they have all kinds of natural remedies for asthma, i believe it's thyme that opens your lungs during an attack.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma
reply to post by Unregistered

I also have a nebulizer and the little vials for treatments.

This is the one medicine I can stockpile, I get a box of 25 vials prescribed every month and I don't really use them.

Bad thing is I need electricity to run my nebulizer.

You can try doing my last resort (oxygen tank). As well as tablets and some drugs. It helped me before. It'll give you time to look for ways to breathe again since it has higher amounts of oxygen than regular air.

Don't get too worried about asthma medications. I think I already have all the different types of prescription and over-the counter asthma medications created and I used them throughout my life. They're still useful years after the expiration date.

The best part to protect yourself is to learn what your allergens are. I used to take 3x a week allergen shots for years when I was a kid. I think it protected me from dust caused by dust mites and some types of food. I can't really judge how useful it was. Unfortnately, some dust, perfume, some chemical fumes, paint, will still trigger an attack.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I sent a complaint letter to the manufacturer of my inhaler and they sent me a email asking for copies of my Dr. Prescriptions and they ended up sending me lots of free, expensive inhalers.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I try to stock up on my inhalers by filling my prescriptions whether I need them of not.
The inhalers are effective long after their expiration date.
Years back, I was without insurance for about four years, and I found that a certain, ILLEGAL, snortable white powder stopped an attack nearly instantly.
Hope I didn't break any T&C's, but in the worst case scenario, that might be good information.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I have also found that mint candy and/or mentholated type rubs can take the edge off off an attack, although not stop it entirely.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
One thing about a SHTF scenarios is your adrenaline may be pumping!
Adrenaline dialates everything, it is given byy IV for an Asthma attack.

Also, when your bronchi constrict, they can be pressurized to re-open.
Take as deep of breath as possible, put your hand over you mouth, (I try to blow into a fist) and try to force the air out of you lungs. This action
will pressurize your lungs and reopen airways. TRy it several times.

I have a video from and actor named Paul " " (~70's yr old) He's a famous Italian actor (usually in mob films) I believe his daughter is asthmatic and
found or came up with this method.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
There is a natural remedy, it's called Mullein (verbascum thapsis). called a weed by most, the leaves when smoked can help relieve asthma symptoms. I have tried it and I do believe it works although I do not suffer from asthma.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
As many have said the inhalers last far past their expiration dates. A good idea for stockpiling them is to get samples from your doctor. Since they did away with the CFC inhalers they've come out with all new name brands. I get 2 or 3 proair inhalers from my doctor every month, now one of these has 200 inhalations, if you have only mild asthma one of these can last at least a year or more. Heck I haven't had to pay for any asthma medication for at least 4 years. They have tons of coupons etc. most doctors offices will give you.

As far as natural remedies, there are probably a lot more qualified people to ask.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Fantastic Topic.

This has been on my mind for a long time. I always have a pump nearby and if i don't or am about to run out, i begin to stress. I grade my Asthma as moderate, but it can hurl out of control quickly if left untreated.

Anyway, if a SHTF scenario happens, you can't exactly rely on stocks of medicine and remedies (unless you know how to produce it off-course), as they'll eventually run out. What i've come to notice over the years however is that, my asthma tends to dissapear completely when introduced to different climates and continents etc. I live in Melbourne, Australia and my asthma is pretty bad. I take a asthma pump at least 7 times a day. Though when i moved to Greece for a holiday, i never once needed to use it or have it by me. I totally forgot i had asthma and it never crossed my mind.

So bottom line is, travel the world and see where your asthma behaves best, and when/if a SHTF scenario pops up. You know what to do.
edit on 30-1-2011 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I also get my Rx filled whether I need to or not. Also, I am lucky in the way that my doc has told the pharmacy to give me my rescue inhaler no matter what....I am covered for one every 30 days but if I get any in between it is only about $20 for 'no name' Ventolin. Thank the universe for that. I plan on helping others with asthma when/if SHTF. But not for long, and only those close to me.

Things that have helped me through tough patches have been my knowledge of meditation/self-hypnosis, vitamin D of course helps with anything, small hits of wacky-tabacky can settle an attack but it may come back worse if you cannot stay calm as this has more to do with your state of mind....pure air always helps of course. Vitamin E is always recommended for asthma sufferers, keep some carrots/carrot seeds, cheddar cheese handy; even if nothing is hitting the fan cheese rules. And anything that gets the blood flowin' and opens things up such as caffeine.

An old superstition says that balling up cobwebs and eating them "cures" asthma. That probably stems from high level of vitamin E though.

Other than that I don't know what to say, if it weren't for puffers I'd be dead.

Edit! I forgot a big one I use all the time, NO NAME ALLERGY PILLS! Stock up on those!! They work great!
edit on 1/30/2011 by MetalCoffeeL because: Forgot something, oops.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Great thread!
my wife has asthma and that was one of my biggest concerns in a SHTF or sitX situation.
I do believe in preparation. Food, water and other essentials are covered, but medication was a problem to get.
My wife, dont believe in SHTF situations (in fact she dont believe in anything thats a topic on ATS )

So I found myself searching and buying online for medication, not only asthma inhalers etc can be bought online but almost everything. Cost a lot of money and beware of being ripped buying fake medicine specially from Asia!

Warning: some drugs can be very dangerous after expiration date. Maybe not asthma medication but antibiotics (for example tetracycline can be very dangerous)

You know, I hated the restless feeling 2 years back when I had nothing prepared. Now I have stockpiled all this stuff I feel much better, although it costs some money. I hope the day will never come but if my sweetheart is ever out of asthma meds in a sit X, I have it covered for some time. Hmmm wondering what she have to say about ATS then.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join