It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet is comming fast and huge!!!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I heard nothing about the EastCoast once the passing of a Comet occurs, does any one know about the East Coast? I know that the US will be closer to Japan... But what about the East Coast? I am right on the East Coast...

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Following these events, within 6-18 hours, the second round of tidal waves will arrive in the opposite side of the globe, in the Atlantic. Because a great deal of the energy will be depleted around the Pacific Rim, this one won�t be as high or devestating, although I would still expect a wall of water in excess of 1000 feet high to hit along most of the eastern seaboard, the gulf coast area, and along Europe/Africa. In the US, all of Florida will be gone, as well as large portions of the gulf coast region, and all along the eastern seaboard, likely as far inland for at least 10-30 miles, depending on topography. I would expect severe loss of life, as this is where a large % of the American population is concentrated, as well as in Portugal, France, Italy, Spain, the British Isles, and other exposed areas. At this point, I believe we may realistically be expecting 1/3 to � of the human population to have been wiped out. Posted by DragonRider

Your main idea at survival is being as high as you can be. I highly suggest that you obtain a set of topographic maps for your area and find the highest easily accessible area, and make that your primary relocation point.

Above all, DO NOT PANIC. When you panic, you loose control, you loose rational thought, and then you cannot make straight decisions. When you panic, you usually die trying to decide if you need to open the door or not.... Coolness and calmness are you greatest allies in any dangerous/stressful situation.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   
well, there is a problem. i guess. i live in upstate new york, past the catskills, and adirondacks. however, i also live about twenty miles east of lake ontario. soooo. here is what i'm doing in the case of big water. there is a helicopter rental place about ten miles outside north gate, so i'll go down there, boost a chopper, and chill out until the initial impact is over. then have myself a useful mode of transportation.

i hope that all this isn't going to happen. i'd like to live a bit longer.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
there is a helicopter rental place about ten miles outside north gate, so i'll go down there, boost a chopper, and chill out until the initial impact is over. then have myself a useful mode of transportation. Posted by Phoenix Cross

Well, if you were a skilled chopper pilot, didnt get shot or otherwise taken down stealing one, had an unlimited fuel supply, and could reach 20K altitude or so, it might work...

Keep in mind, if such a tidal wave comes through, it will be pushing a HUGE wall of air ahead of it (can you say turbulence?) Also, you would have to stay airborne for at least a day or more, as there would be such a huge volume of water displaced, I can easily forsee at least 48-72 hours before it recedes. Of course, I doubt that you would survive in midair long enough to run out of fuel... Aside from the initial turbulence, I would expect massive atmospheric disruption worldwide within 4-6 hours of impact.

Still, something like Air Force One, with 48 hours flying capacity at 60K altitude would likely survive... until the dust clouds choked out the turbojets....

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Worst part is, thats just one natural disaster, in addition to the atmospheric havoc that will ensue... don't forget what terrorist attacks may occur in the USA in the following weeks/months. Could easily make the numbers even more devastating. :[

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 08:11 AM
link   
the newest planetary members of our solar system?

www.jmccanneyscience.com...

The following is from the above link.

MARCH 19, 2003 POSTING

This is a tentative announcement but I think I have discovered the link to the past of the Mayan civilization. While others are distracted by trying to figure out what caused the down fall of the modern Mayans, I have been working on the true links to the past and to ancient civilizations that literally gave the knowledge to the residents of what we normally think as these advanced natives. It was clear before that archaeologists never understood the relation between Quetzalcoatl (The Plumed Serpent God of the Sky whose heart eventually became the Planet Venus) and the modern Mayan calendar (or why they put so much emphasis on Venus. In Velikovsky's study of calendars (yes he was studying ancient calendars ... not astronomy) it was apparent that there was a calendar change and it was caused by the huge comet that eventually became the planet Venus. Now imagine Comet Hale Bopp or comet c/2002/Neat V1 passing close to Earth on 2 occasions!!!! Earth would have experienced the same devastation and we would be starting to rebuild from the ashes and flooding once again (why do you think NASA is lying about the size of the comet nuclei) ... both of these huge comets were becoming planets ... they weren't tweeky little snow balls. At any rate it is now apparent to me, due to discoveries that I have just realized, that the Mayan cities are laid out according to the old cities that predated the current ones and that were destroyed when Quetzalcoatl came roaring through about 3650 years ago. This discovery was made as I was preparing the surveying for the exact measurement of the vernal equinox relative to one of the Mayan cities. I have even found some of what I now think are the old north-south and east-west markers ... they are there but no one ever noticed their relation to the coordinates or the city structures. With this information I might be able to triangulate the location of the old North Celestial Pole prior to the last pole shift.

It is important to establish the location of the Sun after the passage of comet Neat and other occurrences that may have affected either the Sun or other celestial objects. This is in progress and some other very interesting relationships between Mayan buildings is emerging. One city may even have indications that it was laid out based on TWO older cities that may have been devastated by the two known passages of Venus when it was in the comet stage (as Quetzalcoatl).

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Comet 2002 V1 or Comet NEAT as it is called, was discovered some two months ago. It is a magnificent sight to see and is occasionally visible to the naked eye around sunrise and sunset. It is without a doubt more impressive than Hale-Bopp (the Heaven's Gate comet '97), Hyakutake (the enormous schmear of '96) and Levy-Shoemaker (crashed into Jupiter '94). Remember them? Apparently, they were nothing in comparison to NEAT, which was discovered by the joint European Space Agency/NASA project Heliospheric Observatory (Soho) about two months ago. Yet we have heard almost nothing of them.
Still, the Mayan calendar, one of the most accurate calendars ever devised, suddenly ends in 2012. Some say this is not a coincidence (www.resnse.com).
Nostradamus wrote in Century 2, Quatrain 46: "After a great misery for mankind an even greater approaches/The great cycle of the centuries is renewed:/It will rain blood, milk, famine, war and disease/In the sky will be seen a fire, dragging a tail of sparks."
Nostradamus is either doggedly followed or simply dismissed, but I was sitting around the Iowa State Daily newsroom in September of 2000 talking about the impending doom predicted by Nostradamus for the first September of the new millennium. Of course, we were caught up in the popular conception of 2000 as the millennium when we knew it was 2001. You be the judge
Although this comet is not visible to Southern Hemisphere observers, Comet NEAT (C/2002 V1) is putting on its own show Down Under. Currently at 5th magnitude in evening skies, the comet will fade drastically, to about 10th magnitude, by the end of the month. Comet NEAT is not visible to viewers at mid to high northern latitudes.

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
[

Originally posted by dragonrider
Although this comet is not visible to Southern Hemisphere observers, Comet NEAT is not visible to viewers at mid to high northern latitudes.

These two sentences confuse me. The comet is not visible to Southern Hemisphere and Comet NEAT is not visible to viewers at mid to high northern latitudes

Does this mean that it isn't visible anywhere then?
I may be missing something but from what you wrote that�s my interpretation. If I am wrong, could you please clear it up a little? Thanks

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 08:22 PM
link   
My apologies...

These were a couple of posts from an article written in January, when NEAT was still visible from the northern hemisphere, on its way into the solar system.

As of Feb 18, NEAT completed perihelion and crossed over to the southern hemisphere, where it is currently nearing us. It is currently unobservable with the exception of large scale observation platforms, as its tail has disappeared.

It is scheduled to complete its closest pass to the planet (and hopefully not impact, if the HAARP use was successful) between May 5-12.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   
nostradamus -"In the sky will be seen a fire, dragging a tail of sparks"

dragon, from personal experience of reading nostradamus, i think he is not talking about a comet more like debris, or a weapon, if a quatrain has something to do with a comet he will say the word comet usually, atleast he does in my book from 1975.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Sup fellow ATSers though I haven't posted I've been reading this thread, and what i have to say may and may not come to shock to you all. In reference to the poem it is nothing more than what Revelations says (pardon my spelling I'm more a right sided brain person) it is a cold hard fact that the Lord will return soon. Now i'm not trying to preach at you or anything but just to let you know that if a large percentage of the world just turns up missing its because of what I speak of. The loss of life is not just a coincidence but true fact read Revelations, it isn't easy reading and a lot of things is meant symboly and literaly. As a christian I have to make this point for all to see, and if your saved you have nothing to worry about. Fret not for you will no pain but the joy of the Lord on your heart. Now don't go ape nuts over this and think that I'm saying that this is the end of the world because right now people say it is. How many other times have metors looked like they were on a course towards earth, and then end up passing by. Right now I think that NASA doesn't know what this is going to do until it gets closer, so instead of raising mass hysterics with "were all gonna die banasters", I think they're just trying to contain it. So do we have anything to worry about. I don't know but all I do know is that metors will strike in the end days, and the survival rate is 1/4 people. So people prepare because you don't want to be left behind.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Last night the skies around Chicago had a hint of blue, not the sky blue that we are all used to but more like an electric neon blue.

According to WLS 890 AM here in the Chicago area, a Meteor shower occurred late last evening with several meteors surviving the entry. One in particular meteorite is, according to a local college, extremely rare and values in the area of six to seven hundred dollars an ounce.

I was wondering if a meteor shower would cause this type of atmospheric anomaly and if so what kind of rock goes for over twice the cost of gold?

Thanks a lot

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 03:34 PM
link   
platinum?? diamonds?? radioactive rocks?

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiashi
Sup fellow ATSers though I haven't posted I've been reading this thread, and what i have to say may and may not come to shock to you all. In reference to the poem it is nothing more than what Revelations says (pardon my spelling I'm more a right sided brain person) it is a cold hard fact that the Lord will return soon. Now i'm not trying to preach at you or anything but just to let you know that if a large percentage of the world just turns up missing its because of what I speak of. The loss of life is not just a coincidence but true fact read Revelations, it isn't easy reading and a lot of things is meant symboly and literaly. As a christian I have to make this point for all to see, and if your saved you have nothing to worry about. Fret not for you will no pain but the joy of the Lord on your heart. Now don't go ape nuts over this and think that I'm saying that this is the end of the world because right now people say it is. How many other times have metors looked like they were on a course towards earth, and then end up passing by. Right now I think that NASA doesn't know what this is going to do until it gets closer, so instead of raising mass hysterics with "were all gonna die banasters", I think they're just trying to contain it. So do we have anything to worry about. I don't know but all I do know is that metors will strike in the end days, and the survival rate is 1/4 people. So people prepare because you don't want to be left behind.

no offence intended dude, but i am agnostic, and dont belive in the god of organised religion such as christianity, i belive if there is a god is far from what organised religion says, and it is so far out of comprehension that its impossible in human form to imagine what it would be like, i dont see how people have faith when so many terrible things are happening around us and the majority of them are caused by us, i belive everybody is corrupt just some are harder to turn than others, i could be corrupted but there isnt much that would turn me, i belive in infinity, i belive the universe is infinite and life is infinite, maybe when we die we cant remember our lives, and we carry on somewhere else forever, maybe when we die we can remember everything, i seriously belive that nobody knows and i will find out when i pop my clogs so to speak...

I think life is all about being happy, and i dont need jesus or moses or allah or the lord from the bible or mohammed or yahwe or whatever to be happy on this planet , i need myself and loved ones around me and no suffering...

[Edited on 27-3-2003 by The Blade Runner]

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Meteor Chunks Damage Homes, Light Up Night Sky
Posted: 9:37 a.m. EST March 27, 2003
Updated: 9:42 a.m. EST March 27, 2003

PARK FOREST, Ill. -- A freelance photographer shooting a fire in south suburban Park Forest captured a bright flash of light that "turned midnight to noon" for several seconds, and police said it appeared it was the breaking up of a meteorite.

Huge chunks of rock-like objects (pictured, left ) from the suspected meteorite damaged the roofs of two homes, but nobody was injured.

Park Forest Police Captain Francis DioGuardi said a large chunk also landed on a residential street and broke apart, slightly damaging the siding of another home.

People in several states throughout the Midwest reported seeing a bright flash of light in the sky last night. The lights were seen in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio.

The National Weather Service agreed that the flash of light was caused by either a meteorite or piece of space debris.

www.local6.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I was wondering if a meteor shower would cause this type of atmospheric anomaly and if so what kind of rock goes for over twice the cost of gold? Posted by 29MV29

Based on the story I posted, I would assume this was an asteroid, somewhere in the size range of about 5-10 meters. (Would have to be that big for any pieces to survive, as the smaller chunks would burn up themselves). Such an asteroid would likely detonate with kiloton or better yield in the high atmosphere. (Probably high enough to not really be noticeable, but I guarantee that NORAD saw it on the KillSats!)

I would assume that the friction of reentry, and likely the energy released on detonation would cause a significant build up of static electricity, which could cause the effects that you mention. Did you see anything else, like high altitude heat lightening or anything?

I doubt seriously that there is any significant minerological finds in the fragments that survived, although the collectibility of something from outer space would likely bring such a pricetag.

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Would panic change whether such a thing arrives or not?

(I know this is from way early in the discussion, but it just made me giggle)

[Edited on 30-3-2003 by PeyoteCoyote]

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 02:22 AM
link   
panic or not, it will happen nonetheless. however, without panic i have a much more relaxed feeling about it, and will be able to do what i must to survive if that day arrives. i suggest everyone prepare and if it's a miss, lose nothing, cos if you don't prepare and it's a hit, you'll lose everything

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Here's a link to the entire story.

Does anyone know if this is a valid news outlet.

NEAT (officially C/2002 V1) has already made its closest approach to Earth and is now headed harmlessly to the outer solar system, where it will remain for another 37,000 years before looping around the Sun again. It did not break apart, as some have suggested. It will not change Earth's weather. It will not hit the planet.

In fact NEAT turned out to be slightly disappointing, after some astronomers had speculated it might become bright enough to astound nighttime skywatchers and possibly even be visible during the day. Instead, few casual backyard stargazers even noticed the comet's passage.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Yes, that's correct. And as I kept telling folks, this is what the astronomers were saying all along.

And the next "nearest approach" with a known orbit is in 2008 (if memory serves -- and the closest it will get is about 4 times the distance from the Earth to the Moon.

I know it's more fun to scream about killer comets and asteroids and things smashing into Earth with great impact, but it never was much of a threat and is gone now. If you've got sites screeching "doomsday" and the scientists saying "no, that's not happening" the sane thing is to believe what the scientists say (who have been correct so far) and ignore the others.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join