It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet is comming fast and huge!!!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
www.cassiopaea.org...

Has reference to cyclical cometary shower that returns at 3600 year intervals.

www.prep2003.com...

The Tannakh (OT) records at least four disasters that could fit this interval. Sodom, Gomorra, Adma and Sebojim were destroyed by fire falling from the sky, fire and sulphur. This happened in the days of Abraham who lived on this Earth about 1800-1700 BC. All of the cities are in the area in and around Iraq if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps it was debris from comet NEAT that destroyed those cities?

Blessings,
mikromarius

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   
PC:

Dont be so fatalistic!!!

Not everyone would die, although admittedly such an experience would be horrendous for the entire planet, but there would be survivors. Especially those who understood what was coming and had made some plans.

As I mentioned before, know your local area, get a set of topographic maps, and plan your escape route in an emergency (always a good idea, even if no asteriod is involved).

Head for the highest ground you can get to. Prepare yourself a good comprehensive 72 kit and make sure you can transport it.

Contact your family and make plans, rally points, ect, so you can get back in touch with them if you become separated.

DO NOT PANIC.

Keep informed, and always check ATS!

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
like uhhh, dinner

but in all seriousness, i am in the process of finding a 'get the hell outta here' plan. since i live on fort drum, they may lock down the base. however, i live near the edge and know the woods well. the fences aren't electric, and could easily be cut, or climbed for that matter. except for the barbed wire and all.

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I don't believe are direcrtly threatened by NEAT, but I am worried about the fallout and debris from the tail, and about the other 3 asteroids. A direct collision is unlikely, but numerous smaller hits could be devastating to our way of life, if not humanity as a whole.

I remember that nobody said anything when NEAT passed earth the first time until it was a safe distance away. I think this could happen again. It may well just be an attempt to stop people from worrying when there is no need to. If NEAT comes close to earth, but not too close, people may still panic, and NASA might want to prevent anarchy by witholding information. It doesnt necessarily mean they would let us all die in ignorance.

[Edited on 25-4-2003 by CiderGood_HeadacheBad]

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I remember that nobody said anything when NEAT passed earth the first time until it was a safe distance away. I think this could happen again. It may well just be an attempt to stop people from worrying when there is no need to. If NEAT comes close to earth, but not too close, people may still panic, and NASA might want to prevent anarchy by witholding information. It doesnt necessarily mean they would let us all die in ignorance. Posted by Cidergood Headachebad

There may be some truth to this. It is a known fact that most of the recent NEO incidents where an asteroid passed within a couple of LDs (lunar distances, about a quarter million miles from earth), it was NOT reported in the media until AFTER the encounter.

This could be, as you mention, an attempt to stem panic, or it could simply be very poor observing (IE, not finding them until they have passed and are heading away from us). I would hope if anything it was the former, but considering how big the sky is and how few observers are looking into it, the latter is a very real possibility. This would certainly create the possibility of a NEO approaching to impact without anyone being aware of it.

In any event, from the perspective of a scientist, I believe that NASA has the responsibility of informing the population if there is a significant possiblity of impact, regardless of potential panic or backlash. It would be far better to allow the people an oppotunity to make what plans they could to attempt to survive rather than to die in complete ignorance.

*Speaking of backlash, perhaps NASA took a page from the USGS? They may be afraid of mentioning the possibility of a potential impact for fear of backlash, IE panic mongering due to the media. In either event, I still stand by my comments above.

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Sandia laboratories simulations on comet/asteroid impacts with the earth.

sherpa.sandia.gov...

Impact simulation of an asteroid off the coast of NYC (sandia labs)

sherpa.sandia.gov...

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Comet impact analysis of the Tunguska event

www.orc.ru...

Asteroid impact tsunami risk assessment calculations (see how close to right I am or not)

www1.tpgi.com.au...

Comet impact predictions

www.barry.warmkessel.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Nice finds, but it is my understanding that the Tunguska event was caused by Tesla, experimenting at his long island laboratory. It was shortly after this that his patents were stolen.

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 09:10 AM
link   
So, any new word on the big one? Last I read i think someone said around may 5th? Once it passes Earth, hopefully, should we be able to see it as it leaves the system?

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 09:16 AM
link   
It came and went. No danger (as the astronomers kept saying.)

...and Phobos hasn't broken loose and isn't headed our way and the next big Near Earth asteroid is still scheduled to miss us.

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
lol i never said phobo's had broken loose, i heard on the radio somebody say it wasnt there anymore and was intriegued as to what would cause 5-10mile diameter rock stop orbiting mars..

if it had stoped orbiting, the fact that mars moons are so small, means that we cant see them as far as i am aware even with most home telescopes..

so technically even if it wasnt there anymore only people with the right connections or access could know....

and space is that huge that its allmost inevitable that a large rock will hit this planet sooner rather than later..

i personally would like to know if anything is going to hit and possibily kill me or change my lifestyle forever...

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Hey guys, this is going to be a VERY close call tomorrow!!!!!

First of all, 100% credit for this goes to William One Sac (I have been too busy to check my normal websites so far), and he was the one who sent me this link.

This is a VERY close enocounter, as of TOMORROW.

This object will come within 0.003 Astronomical Units (AU=distance between earth and sun) or about 715,000 miles from earth. That is actually about 2.5 times as far from the earth as the moon, however, consider it is the equivalent of someone firing a rifle at your head from 1000 meters and missing by less than the distance of the bill of your ballcap on your head.

And of course, this data comes from NASA, which I dont completely trust (although I have to point out that they are saying that it WILL NOT impact the earth...)

However, all I can say is be prudent....

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
In astronomical terms, it's "near" but not close enough to be concerned about.

For those of you who would like a real astronomer's take on this (someone not in the payroll of NASA), do ask the astronomers on the Bad Astronomy board:
www.badastronomy.com

These are simply objects that they watch (because it's easy to predict their orbits.) These folks can do the calculations for trajectories (and prove they are correct) -- basically if there's any danger, you'd hear reliable information about it there.

Anything outside the Moon's orbit is close but not scary. Inside the Moon's orbit is another issue.

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Anything outside the Moon's orbit is close but not scary. Inside the Moon's orbit is another issue. Posted by Byrd

Ah, but the fact remains that three (3) objects *DID* pass inside lunar orbit last year, and exited earth space... no they didnt hit us, but they were not reported to the media by NASA until after they exited...

Either this is a massive failure for the NEAT program, or they did in fact have evidence of this, and simply neglected to tell the public for whatever reason.

Not a great vote of confidence for NASA regardless of which was the reason...

By the way, my example is still perfectly valid, and pretty accurate.

[Edited on 29-4-2003 by dragonrider]

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
This object will come within 0.003 Astronomical Units (AU=distance between earth and sun) or about 715,000 miles from earth. That is actually about 2.5 times as far from the earth as the moon, however, consider it is the equivalent of someone firing a rifle at your head from 1000 meters and missing by less than the distance of the bill of your ballcap on your head.

Ya need to put some clear references in there, because otherwise that's a terribly misleading and completely innacurate statement. You should probably preface it with: "imagine that the Earth is the button on top of your ballcap" and put the "bullet" a bit further out than the bill of the ballcap.

As we know (from googling and all) the radius of the Earth is about 7,900 miles. The distance (average) of the moon from the Earth is some 211,265 miles.

Simple division gives the "average distance of the moon from the Earth" as 26 times plus change.

So... if your HEAD was the Earth, then the asteroid-bullet misses us by some 60 times the width of your head (so if you were standing in line, the 30th person distant from you would be the one in trouble.)

Now, this might constitute a scary situation for you, but as for me, I'm a bit more concerned about a traffic accident in afternoon traffic than I am about something that's going to miss us by at least 60 times the diameter of the planet.

[Edited on 29-4-2003 by Byrd]

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 01:09 PM
link   
newton.dm.unipi.it...:2003HW10;main

Earth MOID (AU) 0.00092

= 85,519 miles

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   
(nod) I saw on the BadAstronomy board about the revised figures after I posted that.

About 8 1/2 times the width of your head, then -- slightly further away than an arm's length if we're giving a "heads up!
" measurement of heads.

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 01:15 PM
link   
LOL!

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
wow man. too bad it isn't coming closer. that'd be a great scare. do you know if it's going to be visible in the daytime sun, or only at night? this seems pretty interesting. do either of you belive that there is even a slight chance there will be fragmentation and we'll see it, or if the earth will pass through the debris field? that'd be a show.

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   
85,519 miles Posted by WOS

I would point out that that distance is *inside* lunar orbit, which CERTAINLY qualifies as a near miss.... assuming it does miss...

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join