It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan cuts deal with anti-American militants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Pakistan cuts deal with anti-American militants

news.yahoo.com

DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan – Pakistan's army, in the midst of a major new offensive against Taliban militants, has struck deals to keep two powerful, anti-U.S. tribal chiefs from joining the battle against the government, officials said Monday.
The deals increase the chances of an army victory against Pakistan's enemy No. 1, but indicate that the 3-day-old assault into the Taliban's strongholds in South Waziristan may have less effect than the U.S. wants on a spreading insurgency across the border in Afghanistan.
Under the terms agreed to about three weeks ago, Taliban renegades Maulvi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It would seem that this months flavor is the Taliban so as long as your militant group is called something else we will make a deal with you to leave you a lone , so our fight with the Taliban looks much nicer on paper .

Seem to me that this train of thought will most likely back fire at some point down the road . Either there is a fight against militants in that part of the world or not . By brokering deals such as this one " we " are only creating the next set of circumstances that " we " will have to deal with down the road .

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Maybe they took our money we just gave them and paid these guys off then turned around and blew up nothing and bounced rubble up in the hills.

You know a nice fireworks show for the media.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You know what , that reminds me of a war movie I once saw , was catch 22 I think

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Sounds like a dog and pony show.

If I am not mistaking, Pakistan has a recent history of making deals with the Taliban to cut the fighting short.

I had read in a article just the other day to expect Pakistan to make some kind of deal with the Taliban.

How does Pakistan recognize one Taliban group from another?

The Pakistanis, however, aren't attacking Taliban and other militants who are attacking U.S., Afghan and NATO forces in Afghanistan. Abbas confirmed that Pakistani authorities have an "understanding" with two Taliban factions based in Waziristan, led by warlords Maulvi Nazir and Gul Bahadur, who are fighting in Afghanistan, not in Pakistan.

"There was an understanding with them that they will not interfere in this war," Abbas said. "There is always a strategy to isolate your main target." He added that people "sometimes have to talk to the devil in this regard."

U.S. officials have been pressing the Pakistanis to stop distinguishing between militant groups that are targeting their country and those that are active in Afghanistan, arguing that many of the groups share sources of financing, training and arms, and that militants sometimes move among the groups.

www.miamiherald.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

History repeats itself. They always pull this type of crap. Here is a thread I did last spring.

Pakistan Makes a Taliban Truce, Creating a Haven

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The government announced Monday that it would accept a system of Islamic law in the Swat valley and agreed to a truce, effectively conceding the area as a Taliban sanctuary and suspending a faltering effort by the army to crush the insurgents.

Pakistanis in Miran Shah, near the Afghan border, on Sunday at funerals of people described as victims of a United States missile attack on a Taliban compound.
The concessions to the militants, who now control about 70 percent of the region just 100 miles from the capital, were criticized by Pakistani analysts as a capitulation by a government desperate to stop Taliban abuses and a military embarrassed at losing ground after more than a year of intermittent fighting. About 3,000 Taliban militants have kept 12,000 government troops at bay and terrorized the local population with floggings and the burning of schools.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
We have Pakistan talking peace with non Taliban fighters and we have the U.S talking peace with the Taliban , does something sound not quite right here ??

www.foreignpolicy.com...

In a dramatic shift, some U.S. military and civilian officials in Afghanistan are now trying to negotiate with Afghan Taliban fighters to encourage them to "reintegrate." Although no program yet exists, the International Security Assistance Force in Kabul recently created a "cell" to address these efforts and formalize this outreach -- a technique some commanders report they are already using.

You know if people weren't dying this would almost be funny .

top topics

join