It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.60 cent trash bags, and mob mentality.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I live in Louisiana, and we have this chain of stores called Dirt Cheap.

They sell overstocks, and buy out stores going out of business. They also buy goods from stores who have had fires in them. It is one of those kind of stores that if you don't buy it today, it won't be there tomorrow.

I have purchased designer clothing in perfect condition there. Harve Bernard pants for $1.00, designer shoes for under a buck, and housewares. Last month, I got a brand new Sonicare toothbrush that was out of the box, but unopened, with two replacement brushes for $15.00.

Needless to say, I go there a lot and stroll around, digging. The place requires patience and time to find gems. I live in close to 3 of these stores, about equal distance.

The other day, I stopped into one of the locations because I had errands to run in the area.

This particular day, the store was featuring items from a Family Dollar that had burned down.

Over the speaker, the clerk said they had trash bags in boxes that held anywhere from 15 bags to 30 bags, and that they were all marked for .60 cents. This included tall kitchen can bags, as well as lawn and leaf bags.

The bags were not on the shelf yet, and were being unloaded from a truck at the back of the store.

I was stuck in the aisle, that featured quilts, sheets and towels, and it was a mess. Stuff dumped all over the floor. Me and my cart were doing some manuvering.

I thought to myself, I am running low on kitchen can bags, and needed a box. Just one box.

Heck, by the time I made my way to the back of the store, it was like mayhem. People were grabbing boxes of trash bags like there was no tomorrow, and I mean armloads. It was like a bunch of sharks in a feeding frenzy! You would have thought the bags were being given away.

Honestly, I wish I would have had a camera! The boxes were charred. Burnt, and hopefully the bags were not melted, but these people were going nuts! I stood there with my mouth open watching all of this. Had there been flies in the store, I am sure I would have consumed a few! I dared not go closer to the mob scene for fear of loosing a limb do to cart runovers or ramming!

Within 5 minutes, all the bags were gone!

I wrote this thread, to point out, what I witnessed over trash bags. I fear for us all if the economy gets much worse.

Can you imagine?

[edit on 19-10-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
First, I wish we had stores like that in my area! It'd be nice to have something aside from Wal-mart in a 20 mile radius.

Back on topic, that's kinda sad really. I could understand it if it was food and the people in the area were starving to death. But trash bags? .60 cents a box is a really good deal, but a mob scene over trash bags? My mouth's hanging open just contemplating it..

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
It reminds me of a story I once heard about life in the old Soviet Union. I was told once by a Russian scientist (a defector) that the mere presence of a line outside a store was sufficient reason to stand in it, even if you didn't know what was being sold at the other end.

Feeding frenzies are not limited to sharks.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Oh, my gosh, I couldn't believe it! Thoughts flashed through my mind, such as, maybe they need them to put their possesions in when they get evicted!

I am not broke, thank goodness, but this is a very depressed area, that was hard hit by Katrina. Unemployment is outrageous.
If the trash bags would have been food items, I do believe there might have been a few fist fights, or worse.

God, help us all!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by total_slacker

Yes, I have heard similar stories of Soviets standing in block long lines just to get a roll of toilet paper.

Let's hope our country doesn't come to that.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Hi Blanca

I too have witnessed similar situations. It is very scary to think what would happen if say there was a shortage of food etc. But I think you learned a valuable lesson, and where to stay away from if such an event like a grocery store running out of food.

Remember last year when that guy died at a Wallmart? He got trampled to death.

But on a good note, those gems you find...think eBay

[edit on 10/19/2009 by JohnnyR]

Fixed typo

[edit on 10/19/2009 by JohnnyR]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It's called greed. Greed might even be a survival instinct that's genetically programmed. Sort of like hording. Our actions might be a product of genetic programming. This means Banker are really neanderthals and have yet to advance as a species.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cloakndagger

I agree with you...but for trash bags? Not sure I would go off the deep end for plastic bags. Food, if my family or I is starving, YES. OMG I've just devolved....

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
That scene is repeated each year at thousands of stores on "Black Friday". The mob mentality routine is what drives such events, even though a careful analysis of the "bargains" prove that the vast majority of those items are not bargains at all. For instance, a few years ago, Walmart had a Black Friday "super special" of a 29" inch TV for $119.00. (before the flat screens) One week later, the same TV's were selling for $99 at Walmart, and by the week before Christmas, they were selling them for $79.00, when I finally bought one.
There are a few items that are true bargains, but they are usually in such short supply, that few get them. I'm sure though, that as usual, people will wait on line for hours for those "specials".
Skip the ordeal, get some sleep. The items will still be there weeks after Black Friday, and with the economy, the way it is, they'll probably be put on sale at a lower price than the Black Friday price.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by total_slacker

Yes, I have heard similar stories of Soviets standing in block long lines just to get a roll of toilet paper.

Let's hope our country doesn't come to that.

I saw it in the communist era in Poland...sad, tough and humiliating but possible to get through it. In this Nietzsche was right: what doesnot kill you makes you stronger. But...in the same time it makes you stupid sometimes )

Dont wish America or anybody to get that deep in the...toilet paper...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I believe it and am not at all surprised. Many people believe that the end of the world will be caused by a meteor, religious judgment day, or even alien invasion. I tell you now, that if human kind is ever wiped off of this earth, the cause will be none of those things. The cause for our demise will be greed. Simple greed.

Considering the Economy, things are only going to get worse, before they get better...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

That scene is repeated each year at thousands of stores on "Black Friday".

I am seriously considering going to a 'black Friday' this year, and bringing a video camera. I wont be buying anything (unless it's in the pharmacy dept
)- I just want to watch and film the carnage. Then, gentle readers, YOU decide what the malfunction is.

I say simple, simple greed- And I'll bet $1 a few of the greedy ones were buying boxes of trash bags to resell at a profit.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I do not think this is anything new. But maybe more exasperated due to economy and more "discount stores".

Ever hear of the horror of David's Bridal when they put wedding dresses on sale? People come out bleeding and bruised due to all the fighting over - wedding dresses

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Be careful! Its amazing how people camp overnight to be first in line so they can rush into the store and buy up some plastic crap that was made in a third world country!
Shop online, its alot safer and fun!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Some people still work for minimum wage.

A big box of trash bags is what 4, 5 ,6 bucks?

Imagine being able to know you can avoid working a full two or three hours this month just to pay for trash bags.

Getting the basics costs money. Most of us are lucky that we can afford to buy things like trash bags without having to count change, use coupons or elbow our way through a crowd to get something for 60 cents.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

I'm not there to buy, I am there to witness the horror.

Nat'l geographic should do a special: Black Friday Beast Stampede

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Here's one for you all. In Santa Clarita California we had our grand opening for the new Sears store in 1992. It was a big event. Well in the different departments they were giving away free goodies. Like mugs, balloons etc. Well, by the fridge dept. a couple of sales guys were giving out free bright orange yard sticks. It was an all out mob. The people were pushing and shoving. Yelling and grabbing. The poor sales guys couldn't hand them out fast enough and looked terrified. I rolled my eyes in utter revulsion. Over Bright Orange YARD STICKS! The human race is dumb. It is so sad. And the OP is right. Lord help us in a real emergency shortage or economic collapse. Blood will be spilled in the stores and shops. It will be horrible. I pray that never happens.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It could have absolutely nothing to do with the economy. Some people are bargain hunters like me.

I can't resist a good bargain. And will go out of my way. Can I afford to pay full price for trash bags? Yes.

But why do that when I can save 2$ bucks or more.

A penny saved is a penny earned.

If I actually feel like sitting down on Sunday's and clipping coupons and searching out sales, I can save $50 bucks grocery shopping. Once I saved so much that the cash register sent an alert for a manger to come.

I was quite proud. It is like a rush.

When I walk I search the ground for dropped changed. Coin finders have actually figured out that if you collect all the coins you find on the ground, you get about $400 in two years.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by total_slacker
It reminds me of a story I once heard about life in the old Soviet Union. I was told once by a Russian scientist (a defector) that the mere presence of a line outside a store was sufficient reason to stand in it, even if you didn't know what was being sold at the other end.

Feeding frenzies are not limited to sharks.

This has nothing to do with SU and shortages of basic goods that were pervasive in Soviet era. Here in the US of you can buy any amount of trash bags or just about anything, for that matter. Things in SU were vastly different -- not as much mob mentality as realization that stocking up is a good idea, in scarce times.

I've seen shopping mobs in Switzerland (of all places) where sales events are strictly regulated.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I know what you mean about bargain hunting. That is why I shop at that store chain.

I meant it when I said it was like a feeding frenzy though. The closest I could even get to the bags was a good 20 feet away. I thought I might get hurt if I got any closer.

Saving $2.00 is one thing, fearing you might get harmed in the process is another!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join