It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival! Easier than you think!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This thread will hopefully educate you on Survival in a woodland area of moderate temperatures (20 degrees in the winter 80 or so in the summer). This is not surviving after a plane crash this is surviving with intent. Going into the wild knowingly and prepared! So with out further ado i will begin!

Q: What should I bring on an extended stay outdoors?

A: Well, before you bring anything consider this; What is your level of fitness? What kind of outdoors are you going to? and, What are the unique challenges I might face?

Being in good shape is always a plus, it determines how much you can carry and for how far before needing to rest and conversely how quickly you can cover said ground.

You should always be at least slightly familiar with the type of outdoors you wish to survive in.

If your near a mountainous region you can likely expect your rate of travel and how far you travel to be cut drastically so pack light to combat this.

Flat lands with dense brush are a hassle but they do have their strengths as a survivable area. For this trip you will want to bring a machete to clear this brush or its going to bog you down and very well might cuase; injury,infection due to said injury, and damage to gear and vital supplies. Once again pack pretty light but dont be afraid to stuff a few extras in there.

Your average everyday forest! My favorite nice tree cover to keep the sun off you and a slight bit of the other elements. The terrain will be a bit bumpy but nothing like the mountainous areas. This is where you can stuff as much in your bag as possible . You can cover a lot of ground even with a good 50 lbs on your back. and it makes setting up camp and finding resources quite easy.

The Unique challenges are your inner demons what do you think you will face out there that is going to challenge you most and pack accordingly.

With all that said this is a list of items (no brand names since im not in the business of endorsing) that i would pack to my favorite place a forest! Any item followed by an asterisk is a must have anywhere item.

1. Large Fixed Blade Knife* (dont cheap out in this area do your homework find a good blade it will save your life)

2. Small 2 man tent* (dont go for one man they are just tiny you cant put your gear in them the same can be said of the 2 man but its a compromise)

3. Sleeping bag* (find out your surviving areas coldest temps you will need a bag rated for that temperature)

4. Collapsible container for water* (the bigger the better here as its collapsible you wont take up too much space and the weight is pretty negligible if you get a 2 gallon plastic one)

5. Small Steel mess kit* ( dont have to spend too much just make sure its all steel .. no rubber no teflon none of that crap just a steel bowl and some eating utensils)

6. Water purification tablets* ( You just need these and they weigh nothing so bring a bunch... also READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE. cant stress that enough)

7. Military surplus collapsible shovel* (trust me you dont want to leave your poop out ... its just a bad idea)

8 Hand sanitizer* (This is another big one guys, Get a good sized bottle of this stuff. It does wonders ... cleans your hands ... having trouble building a fire? little dab of that stuff is magic)

9. Water Proof matches / lighter* AND back up flint and steel (i don't feel like rubbing two sticks together do you?)

10. Hatchet* ( preferably small and made out of one solid piece of steel, durable and your gonna need it)

11. Medical kit* ( lets face it you are going to get hurt and you won't or can't go back to a hospital. This is where you dont care about weight your going to want something with metal tweezers, a surgical scissor, A butt load of blood stoppers (bandages), back up antibacterial's, needle and thread once again trust me i know your saying it sucks but its a fact of life if the wounds big enough you'll just bleed out. Again, trust me youll get over the pain. And it doesnt hurt to have some pain killers i prefer ibuprofen types for anti inflammation but as long as it kills pain whatever)

12. Small folding "surgical style" knife* (This basically means something compact and as close as possible to an exacto knife without actually being an exacto knife)

13. Change of clothes* (i will address what constitutes clothes and what you will need for certain areas later)

14. Duct Tape* (really dont leave home without it)

15. Plastic coated woven wire up to 15 ft* (ill discuss its use later on in the thread)

16. Rope and Carabiners (i mean you dont really need these but suffice it to say its not for climbing)

17. Multi Tool* (so useful you'd be a fool not to own one)

18. Towel* (never leave home without your towel)

19. Plastic Ziploc and Garbage bags* (keeping things dry is necessary to survival)

20. Emergency rations "MRE" "High cal energy bars"* (face it sometimes you wont be able to catch food those are what its for ... not snacking)

21. Gun and related supplies (I will always go with my gun simply becuase its an amazing tool, but i cant offer you any specifics rather than make sure its easy to maintain bring a small bottle of cleaner and oil with patches and rod and about 100 rounds of ammunition ... beware even with the lightest of rifles this has just put about 15 lbs on you!)

22. Tarp* ( not too friggin big but you know a 8 by 8 folded up real nice)

23. Compass and map of the area* ( trust me you dont want to get lost and in case of extreme emergency getting out of the woods is just as important as surviving in them as well finding bodies of water really important)

24. small signaling mirror* (god forbid you do lose your bearings and need rescue)

25. small flask of your favorite liquor! (Hard liquors preferably everyone wants to have a little fun!)

These are just the basic more important things to bring with you feel free to add anything if you think i missed something. Surviving is always a learning experience and this is in no way meant to be "the best" packing list.

Stay tuned! I will update this thread regularly with more useful information!

Sneak peak Next Question!

Q:Ok so I've got all the stuff what do I put it in? A backpack extravaganza!

and

Q: What should I wear? The do's and dont's of survival clothing!

[edit on 19-10-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I just knew you'd work a towel in there somewhere...

Great information, can't wait for the next parts.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Plus we live in a world that when disaster strikes so do the hearts of the people , wherever they are on the planet....we help in time of need. So my point is that when we have to go into survival mode we will have and give help to others so it won't be too bad.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

You have more faith in your fellow man apparently. I'm sure there will be quite a few people willing to help out and band together, but I also believe there will be a much larger group that is willing to take advantage of and exploit those willing to help.

Or it could just turn into a giant free for all.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

Yes, when it comes to survival the only ones you can trust are the ones who have been with you since it all started. (And maybe not them, whos to say they won't take your stuff one night and sell it for goods?)

If I ever needed to head to the woods, it would be to get away from people. When things start going downhill, people will go crazy. Killing others, stealing, plain old crazy.
Plus, who would you help if you are one of the victims? Who helps the helpers? A localized disaster, sure go help, your life would be at a safe distance. But when your life is destroyed in the disaster, you become one of the many seeking help.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Thanks guys! ill update every week on monday as i have a pretty busy schedule and mondays are my free time. and occasionally if i leave something out ill pop in to let you guys know.

Don't Panic =)

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Part 2 of Surviving! Easier than you think!
I got a little bored and here’s part 2 EARLY Huzzah!
Thanks for tuning in once again guys here is part 2!

Q: So I’ve got all the stuff what do I put it in?

A: This is a lot more complicated than it seems.

Sure you can just get any old backpack, stuff a bunch of junk in it and, trudge through the forest. Do I advise it? Absolutely not.

The first reason being a regular backpack was not designed for hauling that much stuff comfortably. With a regular backpack you’re looking at half of your travelling capacity. Simply put it hurts it’s no fun and you’ll probably end up injuring yourself in the coming days. Let’s face it back injured? Means your worthless in survival scenario.

That being said what you need is a real Hiking backpack. Now there are plenty of styles and types of backpack and they are all pretty good. You will definitely want one with aluminum back supports… for any extended walking time it’s just a necessity. These supports will reduce the strain on your shoulders and upper back. The goal is to have your center of gravity carry the bulk of the weight with your shoulders only acting as a stabilizing force. You can achieve this by just asking a knowledgeable camping store representative to help “fit” the backpack to you.

Another part of it is your physical stature. Don’t expect to be 120lbs carrying 50 or 60 lbs on your back … it’s just not going to happen. So if you’re small get a smaller framed backpack. If your big a larger framed backpack easy as that.

Last but not least packing! This is going to seem like a no brainer but it needs to be said. Make the things you will use the most, you guessed it, most accessible. Things like the tarp, the liquor, rope, medical kit etc etc can be tucked away you won’t need them all the time. Things to keep handy? Large fixed blade knife, hatchet, compass and map, Tent and Sleeping bag, anything you see yourself reaching for continuously.
On to our next question!

Q:What should I wear?

A: Great question!

The Do’s!

Now you’re going to want 3 layers broken down like this; First Layer (closest to body) something that’s going to wick the sweat away from you. And yes wick is technical terms so don’t be afraid to use it at the camping store… They will know what you are talking about.

Second layer is your warmth layer something warm fleece like and comfortable! You’re going to be walking for a while with a load strapped to your back so, as well, as easily removable as possible. Over heating is a serious problem.

Third Layer is your windbreaker … No tricks no special stuff Just a thick water and wind proof jacket no warmth provided just something to keep you dry and keep your body from getting chilled.

And as an accessory I would recommend some good tough gloves… mechanic gloves work pretty well and are cheaper than comparable “hiking gloves” what a load of crap. As long as they can take a beating bring em.

Now on to the Don’ts.

Never wear cotton … no cotton anywhere no socks no shirts no underwear. Wearing cotton is like asking for hypothermia. Cotton absorbs sweat and just sticks with you. It creates rashes and many other unwanted effects, it is much easier to say DO NOT WEAR COTTON.

Dont touch that browser! Part 3 is rip-rearing exciting! when we ask the next question!

Q: Yeah so this stuff that I got how is it used for survival?

Easy ways to fortify your shelter
Keep your stuff away from thieving critters!
Getting that fire going!
And many more!

Come on folks join in! Id love to hear your suggestions and questions! I will do my best to answer them!

Til next time you crazy kooks!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I don't know. I am going to have to go out on a limb. Now first off, this is a great post OP! But I cannot agree that survival is easy.

I think that would depend on what you are surviving. A week... Two...

However, just pointing to the training of survival that military personel have recieve (and continue to), I think the subject is a bit more complex than some might think.

Having an escape route from fire in your house could be classified survival, however, compare that to living off the land for three years with nothing more than a BOB is quite a bit differant.

I have to say, if it were that easy; there certainly wouldn't be as many posts on here as there is.

In broad strokes I can agree whole heartedly. Survival is easy... Have the will to survive and prepare the best you can for what you are looking to survive. After that... It gets more difficult.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Heh now im not saying its easy. Easier than most think yes. now the thing to remember here is those commandos go into the woods with a knife and some fishing wire and live for years. I advise bringing as much possible useful things and going on a week (with less than a meal a day in mre's) and actively practice ... as you wont get real learning from a thread other than the big dos and donts which conveniently im trying to provide.

Thanks for the comment and you are right with a greater amount of time you run greater risk of many things... lack of food , greater risk of illness, (even rambo catches a cold!) , greater risk of wildlife involvement (bears, or mountain cats) but later on in the series i will touch on these issues as well as prolonged stay.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm going to expand on a few points here just for the folks who may not have the finer details.

1. Large Fixed Blade Knife* (dont cheap out in this area do your homework find a good blade it will save your life)

The key here is a full-tang knife, meaning the blade doesn't stop at the hilt but extends completely through the handle to the very end of the knife. This design is vastly superior to the bolt-in style of blades found on cheap and inferior cutlery. By having a full tang the knife is much more durable, last longer and perform better.

9. Water Proof matches / lighter* AND back up flint and steel (i don't feel like rubbing two sticks together do you?)

Something I've found to be outstanding to add to a fire-starting kit is dryer lint, it weighs nothing and you can compress down a huge amount to take up next to no space. Put it in a zip-lock plastic bag and squish it down, having this can make starting a fire much easier.

14. Duct Tape* (really dont leave home without it)

Take a plastic card about the size of a debit card and wind the duct tape around it with the sticky size towards the card, this lets you turn it into a flat pack instead of a bulky round roll. You can fit several of these in the space that would have been taken up by a conventional roll.

16. Rope and Carabiners (i mean you dont really need these but suffice it to say its not for climbing)

Add some 550 para cord to the rope selection, its tough as nails, takes up little space when wound up properly and has almost as many uses as duct tape (works for field expedient boot laces in a pinch).

17. Multi Tool* (so useful you'd be a fool not to own one)

Again this is a place for quality, if at all possible go with a name brand like Gerber or Leatherman, they make top notch gear that will last.

24. small signaling mirror* (god forbid you do lose your bearings and need rescue)

If you have a spare computer hard drive laying around rip that sucker open and pull out the platters, they work quite well for a signal mirror and since you already own the drive they are free (and everyone likes free)

-------

Excellent information so far conspiracyus, looking forward to hearing more of this stuff. I agree that survival is easy if you start living the prepared lifestyle before the SHTF. The more we all prepare today the less we will suffer and want tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Gahhh you stole one of my future fire starting techniques but you make a better point than I. In my next part i suggested turning out your pockets ... but to actively collect it at home ... now that ingenuity thanks!.... ah yes and your absolutely right on your other points good addition!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracyrus

I shall be giving more comments in the days ahead.

Speaking from experience, lot's of time alone in bush of Northern Ontario, I have to say I read these threads with a lot of doubt as to whether or not the OP is a true outdoorsman or a wanna be Rambo.

You have restored my faith as this is one of the better threads I have read so far and the points that you make, although basic, are those that most have no idea of.

When I say basic, it's NOT putting you down at all. Everyone need's to know the basics, before adventuring out. For instance, the metal dishes. You are so right and yet most will get the "new" plastic plate on the market, just because it's new. I have tried these, and although easier to pack, there is so much to go wrong with them as to make them about as usefull as a frisbee.

Well Done OP.....Well done indeed...
Thanks for restoring my faith.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Welcome back to another riveting post of Survival! Easier than you think!

This is Part 3

As I promised we are going to go over the uses of some of the important gear you’ve got!

Q: Yeah so this stuff I got how is it used for survival?

A: Well Timmy this is going to be a long answer so get some cocoa and huddle up!

For practical purposes refer to my first thread for the number I will provide here and that will be the corresponding item

First and foremost is the good ol trusty #1

1 is going to be used for so many things it’s unbelievable. One of its main purposes is skinning bark off of trees for tinder. Even with the alcoholic hand sanitizer (8) you don’t want to dump a bottle of that stuff to make a fire … it’s absolutely impractical and well smells a bit weird. Collecting tinder is rather easy it really is bark or wood shavings (dry obviously) or brush that has been dried. If it has been snowing and raining and nothing is dry check your pockets for some lint. I know it sounds stupid but that pocket lint is ridiculously good tinder I mean wooosh! Hehe.

Other huge tasks include skinning and gutting fish and animals. Ahh yes skinning and gutting a fish… Well you don’t have to … truthfully you can just eat the damn thing but that is no picnic … the scales feel like little disc like crunchlets and have an incredibly gamy taste… not advised! What your going to do is take that knife and from tail to head, don’t cut just graze the surface, the scales will slowly but surely come free. Make sure you get all of them they are just plain not tasty!

Now the guttin! Use your knife and start just about where the fins are and cut towards the head. Don’t go too deep here and go straight to the gills. Now the really gross part … stick your hand in there and yank the giblets out! It’s pretty disgusting but well worth it… oh yeah and the way to tell that they are the guts? They will be attached at the fishes mouth and its butt… so yeah those are the guts. But what a sec you’re not done yet… Open that puppy up and you’ll see a few more gut like objects … the liver on the top (of the inside) and a swim bladder (white nasty blobular thing) take those out. After that cut the friggin head off (make sure to entirely remove the gills when you do this)! After a good splish splash in some water you’re
ready to cook that bad boy!

On to actually starting your fire!

Now this is a hugely important thing … without fire you’ll be cold, animals will think it’s ok to be in your camp, and forget about cooking. For gathering appropriate fire supplies you will need your 1 and 10. First thing you do is start collecting tinder… you can’t get enough of this stuff just get as much as you can, dry bark shavings splintered wood , dry brush , gather every bit you can find. After that find some low lying branches (dry branches) and use 10 to separate them from the tree, once again get a lot you never know when it’s going to rain so it’s always a good idea to stock up. As well if you can get some larger branches down go right ahead. Bring this all back to your campsite and store the tinder in a Ziploc bag and the broken down branches in the garbage bags. (it is worth noting larger branches burn longer but are harder to light so make sure to get a diverse amount of wood.)

Lighting that fire!

Hold your horses bud! What you want to do first is use your 7 to dig a hole … not a huge hole … but roughly 6ish inches deep and a foot diameter… this will keep your tinder in one place when its windy as well keep your fire from blowing out. Once that is done carefully use some of that tinder you gathered and place it in the center of the hole. Have your small sized wood splinters and your small branches ready. Light the tinder with your 9, (if you need a bit of help put a dab of your 8 on their and light it up. As the tinder starts to catch add a bit more to the top careful not to smother it… next as your tinder really gets going lay on some of those wood splinters ( and by splinters I mean twigs and such) get those splinters going nice and good and start adding small branches ( once again don’t snuff the fire out add one at a time until each catches.) now with the smaller branches alight youll have more room for error put one or two of those large branches on top and let them catch. After that your home free add a few more large branches and you’ll be cookin in no time!

Cookin with conspiracy!

Alright guys so you’ve got your fire and your scaled gutted (headless) fish, You must be wondering What the hell do I do now? Well don’t just chuck the fish into the fire all that gut pulling will be wasted! Get you’re 5 out and sit the fish open side down (at this point if you need to open it the full way its cool) into your steel bowl or if they gave you a small steel frying pan even better. Then just place the thing on top of the fire. Now I’m no chef there wont be any seasoning to speak of (unless you packed some hint hint). Well as your fish sizzles away if you opened him up he should be laying flat by now give him a turn every few minutes to avoid burning. Once he’s roughly 80pct cooked (depending on the fire 7 or 8 minutes) Take your 17 and with the pliers get a firm grasp on the pan (it will be friggin hot) and remove it from the fire and place on the ground … get an unbroken and reasonably strong stick and wrap the fish around it be real careful while make sure you can keep the fish on the stick before putting it over the fire once again… and what your doing here is just adding some good old fashioned char flavor… this step is completely unnecessary but it adds a bit of flavor if you didn’t pack some seasoning.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Now we are thinking its gonna be a bad rain storm coming up so you’ve collected your tinder and branches and have them waterproofed away. Now let’s reinforce that 2 man tent from the elements. This is where you will need your 22 and your 15. Take your 22 and lay it evenly over your tent. Now hopefully your tarp has the metal ringed edges if not you’ll have to destroy your tarp and make some holes. But with your 17 cut a couple 3 inch sections of 15. And tie the tarp to the stakes you used for your tent (some tents come with a rain shield I find they don’t work as well as a heavy duty tarp) just keep in mind you have to get back in your tent so make it a bit loose around the door.
OH NO!
You cut a hole in your tent or tarp somehow all is lost all is lost … UNLESS… you have your trusty 14 with you! Use the duct tape to seal the hold … make sure the surface is clean and dry ( if it is already raining duct tape it from the inside) and viola tent and tarp repair kit.

Oops almost forgot if youve got left overs your going to need them away from the camp ... ( as well dont leave your fish scales and guts at the campsite do all that junk at the nearest body of water) so get yourself a ziploc back your rope and carabiners (you can use wire but its kinda a waste) put any other good smelling things (good smelling to an animal meaning food) in the bag. tie one end of the rope to your food and sling it over a 8 - 10 foot branch and hoist it. after its at the top tie it off on the tree and there you go critter free food!

That’s it for part 3
Once again thanks for all who have posted with their ideas and additions lets make this a running prepared survival thread!
Sneak peak next questions!
Q: Ok I know how to cook a fish … How in the world do you expect me to catch one? Fishing! Relaxing fun and keeps you alive!
And
Q: What about wild game? Im sick of fish! Tracking and you!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Ahh ok ok yeah my camping is done mostly in the far less traveled areas of the Poconos i love it such a great variance in terrain and plenty of wildlife. Absolutely thanks for the help ... i try not to spend all my time typing so i get to the nitty gritty. Please check back and expand on what Ive said really it would be nice to have a running forum

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
include some fishing line and some smaller lures in the pack. maybe a collapsable rod reel combo (ultralight) that can secure to the outside of the pack

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Spypants

ahh thanks ... i just read through my list again and apparently forgot to include fishing line and hooks Many thanks Spy!

and yes if your the type that wants an actual fishing rod you bet im quite sure they make the collapsible kind great suggestion

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracyrus

So how long exactly have you been in the woods with just this gear?

I mean without going back civilization,
at one stretch.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by lowki

all depends on personal skill at surviving ... seeing as i have a job i usually dont get a long time to just spend in the woods but my record is one month living on fish small game and wild onions really i wouldnt have come back if i hadnt already had previous engagements...

edit to add i also like computers and technology so really i guess mentally i might not survive much longer ... i just have to troll ats lol

edit one more time ... if i did end up staying longer ... i would definitely leave as soon as i ran out of water purifier tablets... without clean water you'll die in 72 hours or 24 hours if you drink it.

Another big thing .. if you run out of matches and lighter fluid and your flint and steel is depleted... im sorry no amount of money or fame or anything is going to make me rub 2 sticks together ... its ridiculous =P

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus
2. Small 2 man tent* (dont go for one man they are just tiny you cant put your gear in them the same can be said of the 2 man but its a compromise)

Why? A tarp, hammock and sleeping bag is more than good enough for surviving a British winter, and yes that's speaking from experience. The travel tarps fold up really tiny and are durable. If you need a shelter like a tent then you can build one.

8 Hand sanitizer* (This is another big one guys, Get a good sized bottle of this stuff. It does wonders ... cleans your hands ... having trouble building a fire? little dab of that stuff is magic)

Personally i think this is a bit of a waste of space, but that is only a personal view. I have been out in the woods for months and never needed this stuff.

How long are you thinking of surviving? I ask because all of the things you list here will eventually run out and rubbing two sticks together will be your best bet for fire. It doesn't take long to learn some basic firelighting skills.

10. Hatchet* ( preferably small and made out of one solid piece of steel, durable and your gonna need it)

You mean the handle is steel as well? I prefer the kind with a wooden handle as it can be replaced in the woods easily enough.

18. Towel* (never leave home without your towel)

There are some great towels made for backpacking. They squeeze into tiny spaces compared to a normal towel.

25. small flask of your favorite liquor! (Hard liquors preferably everyone wants to have a little fun!)

Nope, pointless weight. I like a small drink as much as anyone but it weighs a lot for something that serves no real purpose.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join