It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sneaky Microsoft plug-in unblocked by Firefox : Today's about face

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Mozilla Unblocks Microsoft Add-on for Firefox

Link

Mozilla has now unblocked a Microsoft add-on thought to pose a danger due to a software vulnerability, but a second add-on remains blocked, the organization said on Sunday.
Microsoft has confirmed that the .NET Framework Assistant add-on can't be used as a "mechanism" for exploiting a vulnerability in Internet Explorer (IE), wrote Mike Shaver, Mozilla's vice president of engineering, on Sunday. The add-on enables what's called "ClickOnce" support, a Microsoft technology for application deployment.

I had the popup that many others had... and removed that nafarious MS PlugIn manually.

There's More...

Mozilla blocked the Framework Assistant last Friday. Earlier in the week, Microsoft warned that Firefox users were vulnerable to an attack because of a problem in the add-on if users had not applied the MS09-054 IE patch. Mozilla consulted Microsoft before implementing the block.

I tend to side with Mozilla. MS has no right to insert their crap into anyones 'alternative browser.'

MS has had a long track record of absolute disregard for end users overall security.

Some claim that Opera is, overall, a better choice than Firefox. It's been a mostly two-way (and sometimes three-way) debate lasting almost 15 years. (Netscape being mostly = Firefox)

Anyhow, Mozilla (Firefox) has reconsidered it's banning of the plugin.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
You should look into Adobe, this is a 5-10 year project. Naturally its flying below the radar. Then again people wonder how and why.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
MS does NOT own my computer. *I* do. *I* decide what goes on it, what comes off it, and what I can use on it. NOT MicroSith. They have no right to force ANYTHING on my machine. it's a form of rape, to be honest. Granted- not against a human, but with all the personal info put on a computer- Who needs anyone just shoving crap in? At the very least, they do it during something critical, you lose data. When I had this one on auto update for a week, til I got the most critical items (Serve pack 2), I could do NOTHING. Nada. The computer was constantly bogged down, and all i did was install, wait, reboot. Since I turned it off, and a lot of other happy little crummy MS things, and basically severed all connections with MS, My computer runs like a champ (or as best as it can with some of the parts I cobbled in there.)

What's been the absolute freakiest thing I have ever seen: A computer that was hooked to the internet, but had no 'connection'- IE, no subscription. Just plugged into the wall. MS was managing updates on a regular basis to it. I kid you not. I had done a batch, just to clear out the thing... and a day or so later... more and diff updates. The person who had the computer didn't understand why I reached up and pulled the phone line out of the plug, out of the computer, and wanted to douse the thing with holy water til I told them. (They wanted updates up to this point).

When a company has THAT much power- it's scary. Downright scary.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
MS does NOT own my computer. *I* do.

True, but if you are running any version of Microsoft Windows, MS owns your operating system. I think you will find that the EULA you agreed to (legally binding btw) bestows upon them certain rights. As a matter of fact if you do not agree with the EULA you are legally obligated to remove the software from your computer immediately.

Here's an idea. If you hate Microsoft so much, if they are so evil, stop using THEIR products. How anyone can use the software of a company they don't trust as the bedrock of their entire computing experience is just beyond me.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Lilitu]

top topics

join