It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Cause an ELE (Extinction Level Event) for Dummies....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well many of you have been told growing up that the dinosaurs were most probably all killed by the killer asteroid (You know the theme of movies such as Armagedden and Deap Impact). Well According to Dr Rosalind White, Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Research Fellow, and Professor Andrew Saunders, both of the University of Leicester Department of Geology, a "deap impact" may not be enough to destroy and entire ecosystem to cause an ELE. According to there research in order to cause a global mass extinction you are going to need an asteroid the size of texas and floods of lava (sound like fun yet?) at the same time.

According to popular scientific views there are supposed to have been 3 such wipe-outs, as it were, in the history of the blue marble. The scientists stated that according to their reasearch that the likelyhood of both events happening at the same time is "likely" (although they did not divulge how they came to this figure, they are supposed to later in the year in the geological journal Lithos). I look foward to examing exactly how "likely" it is but I will save that for another post but for now it seems we can fear the big bad asteroid just a little less.

www.innovations-report.com...

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Alright,

I just pulled up another article saying that the possibility of a global volcanic eruption and meteor impact at the same time were remote putting the odds at 1 in 3500

The probability of all four extinctions occurring at the same time as an impact and continental flood basalt is one in 3,500.

This article credits the extinctions to a "Verneshot" which is basically an explosion with the magnitude of seven million atom bombs, a world wide magnitude 11 earthquake, and 20 gigatones of rock being thrown into the air.

Anyways very interesting.

news.scotsman.com...

new topics

join