It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Survival, Lights Out, No phones!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

People: Myself, and my girlfriend.

Supply: Food, and water for 1 week. Seabags, knife, warm clothing, boots, blankets (both of us).

Status: All the lights, and communications are cut off by some sort of terrorist attack (hypothetical).

Ok first things first, calm girlfriend down, "Babe don't worry, we are completely prepaired, we are ready for this!" . Ok girlfriend is somewhat more responsive. Now to calm myself, few deep breaths, and a short session of, "oh mani padme oum" . Great we are both ready to start what we have ahead. Now to start off our checklist off planned activities for this exact scenario we are all possibly looking at in our lifetimes. What to do now you ask?

Step 1 :

You going to want to talk to all your neighbors and form a safety perimeter. Determine the size by feeling out the situation. What I mean is base your decision off of the response of your neighbors. If they are all on board, increase perimeter (the bigger the better as youll have more resources). Or localized to your left and right. While your out and about, your going to want to find out a few things out from them while your doing this. Things to keep in mind are:

A.)Do you have food, and water?
B.)What skills do you have? ie; What can you build? Can you shoot? How accurate?

C.) Do you have tools for repair? and so on.
D.)Do you have the ability to communicate with anyone anywhere else?
E.)What do you need?

Now with the whole safety perimeter idea, this is not a militia, this is an extended version of the neighborhood watch, for protection purposes only. Your going to want to setup up nightly watches to watch for possibly home invasions, or any sort of crime coming into the area. So ask around and find out who has military experience and who is willing to help out. Now moving on.

Step 2: Escape and Evade

Ok, next step - map. Get a map as soon as possible if you don't have already. You will want to encompass your entire route with as few maps as possible. A compass might also aid in your navigation abilities. You and your neighbors will have a collective knowledge of ways to escape. Lay out your plans with the heads of each household (don't want to many heads around). You will probably want to move at night, or early morning. You might want to break up the traveling into smaller groups with common checkpoints to take care of everyones needs.

Step 3: Base camp.

Obviously a place will be picked weather it be urban, or outdoors that you will want to set up base camp for a while if not permanent. By this time you will know what to do from here, and poses the leadership necessary to make the right decision.

Ok so I have given you my current plans in the most basic way I could come up with. I would like to hear if anyone has similar plans, and what they think of mine. How many of you actually live in the city, have planned escape routes, and ideas? Do you already talk to your neighbors? If not when is the right time?

P.S. Not the best writer, sometimes my mind is a few pages ahead of my hands! LOL enjoy.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by onequestion]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
You and your girlfriend?

Mental note.....

Add condoms to bug out bag.

Thanks man. Good call.

(No, seriously. I've never seen it on a survival list.)

[edit on 19-10-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Haha. We will be to busy populating the world for another disaster! lol

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
You and your girlfriend?

Mental note.....

Thanks man. Good call.

I have, non lubricated, doubles as water storage.LOL. Im serious.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

It just hit me!

I got no condoms on my list and I've never seen them on a survival list.
What's the last thing you want on a survival scenario? Maybe a newborn?
That makes things very hard.

I wasn't trying to derail the thread. It is funny but when the bulb turns on you gotta say something.

Sorry 1Q. I wasn't trying to throw a wrench in our thread.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Don't tell your niebors S&^T!!

Stay out of sight and mind unless you plan to bug out..
The way I read your OP, a weeks food and such your buggin in..right?

I think this thread might be some help to you www.abovetopsecret.com...

maybe a couple O bottles of propane, for charcoal grill, heat, defense?

Something for boardom, books, maybe survival 101 and camping info?

Dunno if I helped any but I tried putting myself in your place.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Im not so sure about your plan! Not trying to be negative.

1) Have you met your nieghbors yet? They might be weasels that slow you down or people who look forward to eating you and having fun with your girlfriend. No condoms needed!

2) Taveling? Now's not a good time for a vacation. Unless your nieghbors are trying to eat you! Of course everyone else might be trying to eat you as well. By the way, how good are you at walking?

3)Base Camp? That would be you and your girlfriend hiding behind a dumpster and sleeping in shifts!

You might want to work on your plan a little! Just a suggestion.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
He wont need to worry about condoms......he is calling a woman BABE, so more than likely she wont let him come very close lol....
..its true.
Woman HATE being called 'babe'

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
If this scenario, however unlikely, were to occur, I have hypothetical questions.
I hope the answers will help you out.

You going to want to talk to all your neighbors and form a safety perimeter.

and

Step 2: Escape and Evade

If the scenario requires safety perimeters and escape and evade tactics, then,

While your out and about, your going to want to find out a few things out from them while your doing this.

being out and about talking to neighbors is the last place you oughta' be.
If you haven't talked to them prior to the situation, now is not the time to make friends.
They will be leary about opening the door, or sharing any info regarding their supplies and preparedness.
If they are not leary about sharing this info,
then they have no supplies or plans.
They are dead weight.

The very people that you would form a perimeter against, and attempt to E&E will not wait for you to get your plan together, and may very well be the "neighbors" that you are enlisting in your neighborhood watch.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

i would meet all the neighbors to asses the situation. at least to see who is a weasel and a possible threat. meeting the neighbors might involved watching each one for a day before leaving the house, or something along that train of thought. and with food and supplies, i am talking worse case, bare minumum. incase anyone else gets caught in this situation as well.

being a leader is called for in certain situations. sometimes it may be very scary walking up and knocking on your neighbors door, but it might also be necessary in certain situations imo.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You really should visit this thread!!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Its about what to expect from your neighbors ITSHTF..
If you already have srry my bad...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
hand crank radio..only link to the outside world.
all posts above- great info.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

i would meet all the neighbors to asses the situation. at least to see who is a weasel and a possible threat. meeting the neighbors might involved watching each one for a day before leaving the house, or something along that train of thought. and with food and supplies, i am talking worse case, bare minumum. incase anyone else gets caught in this situation as well.

Good ideas about meeting with neighbors , but I would analize them from a distance first , feel them out before you freak them out. My neighbors like most are sheep or in denial. They may be the first to turn you in or eat you

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

i would meet all the neighbors to asses the situation. at least to see who is a weasel and a possible threat.

Hey, I have one question, why dont you know who your neighbors are already?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
recently moved. slowly getting to know more people. its tough to meet people these days for some reason. we also live in an apartment building.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Go to the library and get a layout/blueprint of the facility!
A crall space/basement, or any other entries would be nice to know about..

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Condoms keep the rain out of your rifle barrel as you're sloggin` through the post-apocalyptic wasteland.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

I concur. Ive been stocking up so that the girlfriend & I may be able to ride out the storm. The last thing I want to do is to start sharing with my neighbors the items I have painstakingly been acquiring over the past year. Why should I give handouts to the same neighbors I have been telling for months to "stock up on water, food, necessities, etc." If they didnt listen then thats tough for them. If something catastrophic occurs, who knows how long it will take for society to get up and running again. Imagine how pissed you would be if you worked your ass off (to pay for your supplies and make all the necessary preperations) and you ended up starving to death anyways because you wanted to be the nice guy and ration all your stuff out in the first couple weeks. I am a compassionate guy, but survival trumps charitable donations in my book. If I were you, I'd start by having way more than just a weeks worth of stuff so you dont have to go asking for things. Just stay in, and pretend you dont hear the rest of the unprepared world panicking around you. If you really feel the need to band with your neighbors, I'd suggest having a plan now before anything happens. And keep it limited to just a few like minded trustworthy people. True, you never really know people until SHTF, they could be nice until they start thinking that you're hoarding all the supplies, then you wake up in your bed, surrounded by the same friendly neighbors, and stabbed in the back (literally). just a few things to keep in mind...

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
You and your girlfriend?

Mental note.....

Thanks man. Good call.

Hey... Why do that...? Breed lots of offspring so you can have them working the field and tending the food needs...

new topics

top topics

join