It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US scientist charged with spying

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
Cannot find this in US news yet but I'm sure it won't be long.

So I take it this Israeli Officer was an FBI or CIA agent acting as an Israeli?

[edit on 19-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

No, he was also a colleague who suspected something, then contacted the appropriate people who eventually had him under surveillance and as such have now built a case against him. Sadly this individual has not come to understand that his career and everyone associated with him will be under constant surveillance for the rest of their natural born life.

Some people will sell their sole to the devil for something called money..!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I don't understand what are the legal grounds for the espionage being illegal. 99% of members here are natural spies. NO BODY HAS THE RIGHTS TO TELL YOU WANT TO DO

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I love this new counter espinage technique ^^

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Here it is in the Washington Post:

www.washingtonpost.com...

A Chevy Chase scientist was charged Monday with trying to sell top-secret information to Israel for $11,000, federal prosecutors said.

Stewart D. Nozette, 52, was arrested on a charge of attempted espionage and is being held pending an initial appearance Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Washington, authorities said.

Authorities said the charges stemmed an undercover sting operation in which an FBI agent posed as an Israeli spy. Nozette allegedly passed the agent sensitive information through a "dead drop" at a D.C. post office in recent weeks, authorities said.

Nozette worked for the Energy Department's Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory from 1990 through 1999, prosecutors said. He was credited with helping develop a radar in 1994 that suggested ice on the south pole of the moon.

click on link for more....

So FBI somehow knew that playing an Israeli agent and approaching a scientist working on remote sensing technology that has to do with space and especially the moon was a sure bet to score for catching a possible spy?
That would also suggest that it might be a widespread notion in intelligence that Israel might be somehow interested in doing parallel research next to what NASA does at the moon?
What for?
Israel isn't going to have a space program sending something at the moon right?
That is leaving us with the option to think they were interested in beforehand knowledge about scientific discoveries at the moon.

So why Mossad might have an interest at the moon? Are they in to scientific accurate science fiction or something? Do they plan to develop a Hollywood production? Do they intend to buy acres at the moon or are they just extreme space enthusiasts? Or is it just that they intend to sell anything at someone else? Probably somebody that US would do anything to make sure they don't get any such kind of technology?

[edit on 20-10-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by MegaCurious

People wonder why I'm not and Israel fanboy....

People still call Assrael out allies?
With allies like this who needs enemies.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

Oh, come on, it's not like the US does not spy on Israel. The US spies on everyone, friend or enemy. It should not come as a big surprise that any country would be willing to spy back on it.

-rrr

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by angelx666

Well sure, you can say that no one has the right to tell you what to do. However, you then have no recourse when they drag you off and torture you to death because of your traitorous actions... after all, you have no right to tell THEM what to do.

Or we can try to follow the law and not spy on behalf of foreign governments.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Primordial]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I don't believe a single word from that news post. I don't think he's that stupid, and I don't have any reason to believe any of it anyway

Who knows what that guy really did. Here's some info on him in 2007:

Dr. Nozette currently serves as Principle Investigator and Chief Scientist of the joint NASA/DoD Mini RF program as President of Alliance for Competitive Technology (ACT) a non profit 501(c) scientific research organization. Earlier, Dr. Nozette had served as Program Manager, Exploration Technology for NASA Space Operations Mission Directorate and as the Deputy Program Manager and Chief Scientist for the Clementine Satellite Program, the first US mission to the moon since 1972.

Stewart Nozette on search of water on moon:
www.ndtv.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
How convenient- the LCROSS mission and the rumors surrounding it and then this comes out- makes me wonder if he's one of those guys leaking supposed top secret NASA footage all over youtube or maybe he could be one of Hoagland's contacts, maybe Wilcox- who knows...This stinks of conspiracy and the bad part of it is that nobody will see the very OBVIOUS connections here and this situation will be lost to the archives of oddball journalism.
Spotlight addict amatuer scientist/ufologist/stormchaser charged with felony hoax, careless Govnment scientist turncoat arrested, water on the moon- I'm sure there are more creative minds out there than mine who can tie all this together- sure has been an interesting last few weeks.
I want to see if this guy has the balls to turn this situation to his and our advantage and do his damned best to expose the pigs for what they are. Maybe a statement?
But we know that won't happen. maybe balloon guy and traitor scientist could reflect on this experience while playing dice in the yard with their new convict homies.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by R0BCROW75]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It’s pretty clear we have a huge problem with Israeli spies here in the United States. Isn't it funny that just the other day another member was commenting that statement is an exaggeration and not even 24 hours later yet someone else is arrested for spying for Israel?

Part of the problem seems to be the myth that Israel lives in some kind of sea of hostility and despite running an apartheid state is the only secular democracy in the Middle East and must spy and steal from it's friends to combat the enemies it spies and steals from too.

It's crazy thinking I will grant you that they deserve that kind of consideration that allows their state's criminal actions to be dismissed time and time again in far too many American's minds as harmless.

Of course it's anything but harmless to the companies that loose revenue because of infringed on patents and copy rights, and our own security and other nation's security is compromised by a nation that has all the morals of an alley cat.

With so many U.S. Government Officials, members of the Judiciary and Law Enforcement being either dual Israeli/USA Citizens or having some kind or religious or romantic attachment to the Israeli State it's a very difficult problem to get a handle on, especially with the propaganda spin Israel churns out 24/7/365 to confuse and intimidate people.

Like most Middle Eastern Nations Israel likes to practice the not always so subtle art of brinksmanship. Like all nations who practice pushing things to the edge and the limit eventually they will go over it. Like all nations who eventually go over the edge they won't be prepared for the terrible consequences of that. I doubt Saddam Hussein enjoyed swinging from the gallows pole. We need to start executing guys like Pollard once convicted as a deterrent to this spying. Too many of them get off with a slap on the wrist or a fine. That hardly acts as a deterrent.

The U.S. needs to completely overhaul and reform its relationship with Israel and the sooner the better.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by R0BCROW75
How convenient- the LCROSS mission and the rumors surrounding it and then this comes out- makes me wonder if he's one of those guys leaking supposed top secret NASA footage all over youtube or maybe he could be one of Hoagland's contacts, maybe Wilcox- who knows...This stinks of conspiracy and the bad part of it is that nobody will see the very OBVIOUS connections here and this situation will be lost to the archives of oddball journalism.
Spotlight addict amatuer scientist/ufologist/stormchaser charged with felony hoax, careless Govnment scientist turncoat arrested, water on the moon- I'm sure there are more creative minds out there than mine who can tie all this together- sure has been an interesting last few weeks.
I want to see if this guy has the balls to turn this situation to his and our advantage and do his damned best to expose the pigs for what they are. Maybe a statement?
But we know that won't happen. maybe balloon guy and traitor scientist could reflect on this experience while playing dice in the yard with their new convict homies.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by R0BCROW75]

Interesting coincidences. I too don't know what to make of this but in times of uncertainty you can reverse the roles and re examine who the bad guys actually are, if not sure for either side just treat them both as being suspicious. In my mind I try to connect dots in trying to figure out who might be promoting all this 2012 crap and if and how would be able to utilize it as means of public opinion manipulation it use it as a weapon against an administration.
IMO for some reason I am poised to look "insiders" disclosure attempts a bit more differently from now on. Let's be realistic about it. Why should I trust a person who claims he/she has an anonymous "insider"? What is wrong with clarity for a change? We've seen too many insiders spouting their crap these last two decades. I say it's enough.

reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

He was arrested from US federal agents who pretended to be Israeli. Maybe the pretense was to send a message too, I can't think that any public agency anywhere on the Globe tasked with security and law enforcement can easily pretend to be an Israeli spy in this time and date, taking in to consideration their powerful lobby, their probable vengeful response of Israel and possible accusations of doing deliberate harm to their public image.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I just ran across the story on yahoo news. I thought just reading it, considering his connection to NASA and Moon exploration funny. A few quotes from the story also stood out to me.

US scientist accused of trying to sell secrets

He also worked at the Energy Department's Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, where he designed highly advanced technology, from approximately 1990 to 1999.

Considering that and his NASA connection, he's probably had access to some highly classified information over the years.

To build a case against Nozette, FBI agents posed as officers of the Israeli intelligence service Mossad, and the criminal complaint suggests why they thought their suspect would take the bait.

From 1998 to 2008, the complaint alleges, Nozette was a technical adviser for a consultant company that was wholly owned by the Israeli government. Nozette was paid about $225,000 over that period, the court papers say.

Then, in January of this year, Nozette allegedly traveled to another foreign country with two computer thumb drives and apparently did not return with them. Prosecutors also quote an unnamed colleague of Nozette who said the scientist said that if the U.S. government ever tried to put him in jail for an unrelated criminal offense, he would go to Israel or another foreign country and "tell them everything" he knows.

That whole set of circumstances seems odd to me. About like in the movies, and "if anything happens to me my lawyer will mail this envelope..." The unnamed colleague is probably someone that alerted authorities (if authorities even needed to be alerted, some might think this is an elaborate plan to discredit someone), making comments like that in a classified information environment is sure to raise a few eyebrows.

One answer contained information classified as secret, which concerned capabilities of a prototype overhead surveillance system. Nozette allegedly offered to reveal additional classified information that directly concerned nuclear weaponry, military spacecraft or satellites, and other major weapons systems.

Military spacecraft?

[edit on 10/20/2009 by ThaLoccster]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Just to clear things up here

On or about Sept. 10, 2009, undercover FBI agents left a letter in the designated post office box for Nozette. In the letter, the FBI asked Nozette to answer a list of questions concerning U.S. satellite information. The undercover agents also provided a $2,000 cash payment for Nozette. The serial numbers of the bills were recorded. Nozette retrieved the questions and the money from the post office the same day.

On or about Sept. 16, 2009, Nozette was captured on videotape leaving a manila envelope in the designated post office box in the District of Columbia. The next day, FBI agents retrieved the sealed manila envelope that Nozette had dropped off and found, among other things, a one-page document containing answers to the questions posed by the undercover agents and an encrypted computer thumb drive. One of answers provided by Nozette contained information classified as Secret, which concerned capabilities of a prototype overhead collection system. In addition, Nozette allegedly offered to reveal additional classified information that directly concerned nuclear weaponry, military spacecraft or satellites, and other major weapons systems.

Also on or about Sept. 17, 2009, undercover FBI agents left a second letter in the post office box for Nozette. In the letter, the FBI asked Nozette to answer another list of questions concerning U.S. satellite information. The FBI also left a cash payment of $9,000 in the post office box. Nozette allegedly retrieved the questions and the money from the post office box later that same day.

On or about October 1, 2009, Nozette was filmed on videotape leaving a manila envelope in the post office box. Later that day, FBI agents retrieved the manila envelope left by Nozette and found a second set of answers from him. The answers contained information classified as both Top Secret and Secret that concerned U.S. satellites, early warning systems, means of defense or retaliation against large-scale attack, communications intelligence information, and major elements of defense strategy.

For further reading you can click on Federal Bureau of Investigation

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Actually the FBI suspected him of already spying for Israel, that is precisely why they set up the sting. He was working for a Israeli aerospace company and was suspected of stealing American secrets.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

All I got to say is that people kill for less than 10k, how stupid can they be, then again you have to admit there are alot of stupid people on this earth who live in their own little bubble.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

They even caught Israeli spies in NZ, if it was somewhere else he would have got the death penalty, or at least imprisonment but here they let him go. SUX

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Story

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join